Greatest Fear

three.

The truth was, she wasn’t able to compete.

Not after everything that happened that year. Cedric Diggory had died and Harry was broken up and claiming that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had returned. Of course Alex believed Harry. The boy had never lied before so why should he now?

Fluer had even gotten a job at Gringotts and Bill helped her with her English. They had even gotten engaged one year after the tournament.

Even though it had been nearly two years since Alex had seen Bill, she still had a glimmer of hope. She kept trying to convince herself that perhaps he did love her and thought she didn’t love him. Perhaps he was trying to forget by getting into a relationship with a beautiful French veela. Perhaps if she told him he’d call off the engagement. However unlikely it sounded, it convinced her to try her hardest.

So when she heard that from Molly and Arthur that something was happening up at the school, she was there hardly a second later. When Alex had found Bill in the hospital wing, her insides had turned to ice. Tears leaked down her cheeks as she looked down at Bill. His once handsome face was now torn and no longer bleeding. She gently brushed a strand of hair away from him eyes. It was such a shame to see him in this state, but she couldn’t help feel even more hope.

If that French girl was as shallow as she was beautiful, then she would turn from Bill the second she saw him. Alex knelt by the bedside and bit her lip to keep from smiling as Fleur entered the room. Every time Alex had managed to console herself, everything shattered. Fleur had gone into a rampage declaring that she and Bill would still get married. She had shocked Mrs. Weasly so much that she offered to let her borrow Muriels tiara, something she had promised Alex if she were to marry Bill.

An unwelcome feeling washed over her as she was pushed aside by Fleur and she regretfully left the school.