When Your Childhood Dies

Chapter Five

Elly’s POV

I watched Prentiss, clearing my throat slightly and shifted my gaze to Hotchner. He seemed dismayed, taking back by either our calmness or the fact that Invy looked like a lunatic. I brushed a strand of hair from my face, holding my sister tight against my side.

“Daniel wasn’t as much as a jerk,” I lied simply, feeling Invy squeeze my hand again.

How many hints were we going to give Reid so he’d make his comments? Jeez.

“I’m sorry,” Prentiss broke the silence, her feminine side seeping through the built up cracks, before she handed us a card, “Give us a call, if you have any ideas,” she trailed off.

I nodded, sliding the paper into my pocket, before leading Invy into the house and towards our room. I locked the dead bolt, sitting her down on her bed and sighed quietly, “Just get some sleep, sissy.”

She glanced at me, a flicker of that hatred still locked deep in her eyes. She didn’t fight me though, only crawled between the comforters and closed her eyes.

I took a seat in my computer chair, swiveling around and faced my black, HP laptop. I furrowed my brow, typing in ‘FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit’ and clicked on the first link.

I skimmed through the boring description of what the group does, who makes up the group, what they teach and so on. As my search continued, I felt a pair of eyes on me and turned to meet Invy’s questioning gaze.

“They may have something on us,” I breathed, turning back to the screen, “the way you act, I mean. We just—we need to lie about it, somehow,” I shook my head, “without telling them who all was involved. If they think, even for a second, that our family was in on it, then they have our motive.”

“What are you getting at?” she whispered.

“It happened outside of a bank, by some stranger who wanted to buy us a couple of beers at the bar across the street,” I sung, smile overtaking my lips, “A deep, blue eyed stranger with pale skin and a scar under his bottom lip.”

Invy had slipped out of bed at this point, right hand resting on the desk and left on the back of the chair, “What?”

~&~

“Victor,” I teased, setting my deck of cards down. I turned towards him, watching as his eyes lit up with fear, “Aw, don’t worry, sweetie.”

His words were muffled, and I tried not to giggle along side of Invy (who had been hanging in the corner, watching). I sat on Victor’s lap, running my hands through his hair and grinned.

I pecked his cheek, “It’ll only hurt for a minute,” I breathed, anger beginning to seep into my veins like poison, “then everything will be black, and you won’t have to worry about a damn thing,” I pulled the gag from his mouth.

“I’m s-sorry,” he winced, more than likely hurting from his broken set of ribs, “Elly, please. I won’t say anything—”

“Yeah, right,” I got to my feet, walking over and grabbed the knife from the table, as I picked up my deck of cards, turning to him, “Pick a card.”

“Elly,” he gasped, a single tear paving its path down his cheek for more to come, “please.”

“Keep begging,” I growled, narrowing my eyes, “and you won’t get a choice. Pick a damn card!”

As soon as he opened his mouth, I broke, throwing my cards into the air behind me. I took the knife, slicing it across his open, wound free neck. The blood splattered, coating me in the thick ooze. I dropped the knife, clenching my fists and glanced over at Invy.

“I had to,” I breathed.