When Your Childhood Dies

Chapter Six

Invy’s POV

My mind was racing, but my breathing was calm. Her words raced through my mind.

I had to.

I had to. This was something that needed to be done. Revenge left me feeling high and wonderful, sometimes. But we needed to be stopped, a larger part of me wanted to rip the last two men piece by piece, they’d die eventually. We’d die tonight. I was ending it, she deserved it, I deserved it, but I didn’t want to rot in prison. I didn’t want to die in a storm of bullets.

I didn’t want burned alive either, hopefully I’d suffocate first.

I lit the match, tipping the lighter fluid and gasoline mixture, all over the floor, the abandon boards, the abandon bed and clothes. Immediately I began coughing, slowly backing away from the flames. My sister was asleep in the corner, but as the flames neared her, I grabbed her and drug her away, she finally woke up. We ran down the steps, her fury didn’t go unnoted. She ran towards the exit of the building and we dove from the old hotel just as the top floor collapsed. I landed on the pavement, cracking my head and blacking out, but only for a second. I slowly got up as the sirens get louder, I look around for Elly only to hear her screams. I turned back to the building in horror.

“Ella!” I screamed, starting towards the building. Something fell from my pocket and as I picked it up, I remember Ella sticking it there. Emily Prentiss’ card. I quickly dialed the number.

“Hello?” she answered groggily.

“Emily! I need your help! There’s an old abandon hotel on Fourth street, Elly’s trapped inside and its in flames! I’m going back in, but I need help.” I sobbed.

She gasped, “No, Invy don’t go inside, the firemen can help her, but don’t go in!”

“Just come, please. I have to do this. Its all my fault.” I murmured.

Another tortured cry came from the flames. “Invy!” Ella screamed. “Invy help!”

I dropped the phone as cops and firemen drove up to the building. I ran into the hotel, into the smoke and flames. My skin instantly hurt, my eyes became blurry and I couldn’t breathe well.

“Elly!” I screamed. “Elly where are you!”

“Invy! Invy help me, please!” I heard her cry. She was close. I got to my stomach, reaching out and finding her hand, and pulling her close. Another thing in my pocket was her inhaler, something she was really, really going to need. I dragged her out, coughing and choking as a firefighter sees us coming. He picked me up and starts to carry me out, leaving Elly.

“No!” I screeched. “Get my sister!” I snarled. “She’s got asthma!” he sets me down and I grabbed her under her arms, pulling her out towards the hotel doors. I feel a piece of wood hit my shoulder, sliding down and burning my collarbone. I screamed, pulling her back, and out, the cool finally hitting my skin. I kept dragging her until I felt myself fall back, stumbling. I fell to the asphalt, and then instantly tried to crawl to Elly. I got close enough and shoved her inhaler into her mouth. She took it greedily and I thought about what had happened.

I couldn’t do it.

I wasn’t strong enough.

Or she didn’t deserve to die, but didn’t I?

Cool hands picked me up, an arm around my waist steadied me. When I looked over I saw Dr. Spencer Reid. Derek was picking up Elly. “Is she going to be okay?” I asked in between coughs. I gasped for air and he set me in the ambulance, letting and EMT take over.

“She should be fine.” He nodded once, awkwardly.

Emily jogged up to me, worry written all over her face. “I couldn’t leave her in there.”

“Yeah, well, how’d the fire get started? More importantly, what were you doing in there?” Emily asked.

Derek Morgan walked up to us, having sent my sister towards the hospital in an ambulance. I hopped off, “Is she goi—”

Derek grabbed my shoulders, stopping instantly when he saw me nearly crumple in pain. He escorted me back to the ambulance. “She’s going to be just fine, but right now we need you to cooperate.”

“No, I need to go with her, she’s—” I started

“Your sister, your twin, I know. Invy please.” He stated, upon looking into his dark eyes, I sat and obeyed, half for fear because he was also armed.

Armed and dangerous the man I was starting to take interest in was the only thing between me and my twin, the psychotic part of me hated him for that.

I needed to stop us, somebody did at least, hadn’t we hurt enough people, or did they all really have to be dead?