That Night

You gotta friend

It was a month later when we had the funeral. It was only a few relatives. I think Dad had almost broken down again. He was comforting Mum who was sobbing and shaking in the cold breeze uncontrollably. By then I was two months pregnant.

My belly looked a little plumper than before. Many people were giving me weird looks at school. Maybe they thought I was fat, or they knew I was pregnant, and thought of me as a disgusting person. My best friend, Meg, ditched me, completely. I mean, I’m a little different by being pregnant, so who should like me? I will one day be single mother, so the other mothers will also despise me.

It was a short funeral. After prayer, speeches and the burial Kyra it was almost over. Mum had arranged for a dinner to be served at Danielle’s house (Meg’s mother) to talk of ‘What could’ve been’.

As soon as we arrived Mum said dinner would be a while and if we girls were smart we’d spend some time together. After a bit of silence Meg came over to me. I was perched on the edge of her bed. She gave me a hug.

“It must be terrible.” She said. “First becoming pregnant and then your Mum losing her daughter.”
I nodded, although being pregnant wasn’t so bad, it was just the way people treated me now.

“It must terrible and I feel terrible because I was the one who dragged you off to the party!” she continued. “I was the one who sent on a blind date with James because you seemed so moody about losing Dan.”
James. That was his name. I wonder if we could search him up and get some money out of him and his family to pay for some baby things. Meg was to blame, but I didn’t want her to feel like that.

“It wasn’t your fault….” I said.

“But it was,” she ignored me. ‘; I couldn’t bear to see you at school and now that you’ll be leaving school soon I think I owe you at least an apology. I also agree to be a better friend from now on.”

I hugged her. Being friends again totally improved everything. Meg didn’t try to ditch me. She just felt too guilty to even see me. Meg is such a good friend! Meg and I chatted until dinner, catching up on what had happened to each of us lately. When dinner was over we demanded a sleepover. Mum and Danielle swapped knowing glances. Mum looked much better. It all seemed too sudden, Mum's recovery. But I ignored it. If I had said something then, maybe I have been able to stop Mum from doing the terrible mistake she did next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be a silent reader? I hope you like xxx