Status: Short story :)

Worth the Wait

a jack barakat one shot.

“Howdy!” I heard Mr. Hopkins cheer as I looked up and realized that English class was on.

“Geez, how long did I sleep?” I whined as I asked Taylor, the girl who seats next to me in this period.

“A while. Scarl, you’re be-“

“Scarlett Cooper and Taylor James!” Mr. Hopkins cut her off. Great. We got a special mention from one of the most annoying teachers I could ever imagine listening to. “Good morning, Scarlett” his annoyed eyes flickered on me. I looked down as I nodded. When I looked up again, I realized some people in my class are still looking at me, smirking their reddy-faces off, and some are listening to Mr. Hopkins as he explained the origin of this and that.

“Tay, do I look funny?” I whispered to Taylor so we could avoid having the goddamn mention again. She didn’t say anything, but she just smirked and looked at the back of my hair. “What?!” I mouthed before looking at Mr. Hopkins whose eyes went transfixed on me as he raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and focused on his lecture then, but I didn’t care about whatever he’s saying, I wouldn’t get it anyway, I could just read the textbook and pass the subject, he’s one of the worst teachers I’ve ever had here, I know that’s a bit harsh, but it’s true.

Few minutes later, the bell rang. I sighed the sigh of relief and I stood up from my chair and grabbed my books on the desk. I then looked up to see Taylor, who’s still not leaving and waiting for me. Well, Taylor’s a friend of mine, but we’re not close friends and all, we just talk during English and Math classes but we don’t sit on the same table during lunch or something. So it sort of shocked me that she’s still waiting for me after the class, I was pretty sure this is the first time she did it, usually she just wave at me then leaves with her co-cheerleaders. She then grabbed something from the back of my head, and I could feel a pull of a hair strand or two. “Ouch” I mumbled.

“Geez, Scarlett! Are you that blind or numb not to know you have this taped on the back of your head?!” she laughed as she handed me a white envelope with a heart sticker on it. Today is Valentine’s Day. Cool, I just got a love letter from someone. I opened the envelope and read whatever’s written on the paper. I rolled my eyes and returned the paper on the envelope. “Who was it?!” she asked in excite. I shook my head and walked out of the room as she linked her arms to mine.

“Tay, it’s all nothing new. So don’t even mind knowing whoever gave this to me” I told her as we walked on the school hallway, few eyes were staring at us. It’s more like, they’re wondering why our arms are linked while walking on the hallway. But whatever, I link my arms with anyone, so even though this feels kind of new, it’s alright. I’ve known Taylor for two years, we’re good friends.

“I wanna read it!” she squealed as she tried snatching my bag.

“No, Taylor. Are you crazy?!” I hesitated, protecting my bag with my bare hands.

“Please????” she went down on her knees in front of me, which is weird, ‘cause she’s Taylor James, she never got on her knees over this kind of stuff. Some people gave us looks, and I heard a girl say something like “Are they lesbians?!” Geez, the people in this school are insane.

“We’re not fucking lesbians, Goddamn it!” I shouted, looking over to that girl who wondered if we’re lesbo’s or something. “Taylor James is with Daniel fuckin’ Gory and they’re the cutest couple you awkward people could ever know, SO SHUT THE FUCK UP, okay?!” I then rolled my eyes before mouthing Taylor to get up.

“You’re awesome, Scarlett Cooper” she told me as I handed her the envelope. “Let’s not read it here, come on, sit with us on lunch” she put the envelope on her left hand as she grabbed my wrist.

“No, you can have it for a while” I told her as she let go of my wrist. I couldn’t sit on the same table with her on lunch, I think she and her friends are too cool to sit with. I’m just this ordinary kid, it’d be weird to sit with them.

“Oh please, Scarl. Don’t even worry about my friends, we’re not stereotypical or something. We sit with everyone, we’re not one of those awkward groups who requires this and that for someone who wants to sit with us” she smirked, as she linked her arms to mine again. I nodded and walked with her to the cafeteria. We sat on one of the huge tables on the area and Taylor introduced me to her friends. “Guys, this is Scarlett. We sit next to each other during Math and English classes” she said as her friends nodded and smiled at me. They introduced their selves and I can see they’re really not one of those choosy groups Taylor was referring to a while ago. They’re all friendly, and nice. We had some random conversations about this and that, and I was glad I can somehow relate to whatever they’re saying. After Taylor talked about how she managed to make her relationship strong with Daniel, she preceded taking out the envelope from her bag and giving me a look. “Can I read loud enough for them to hear?” she asked in a whisper. I nodded and she gave a glimpse of her irresistible smile.

Dearest Scarlett,

Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope you’re not busy today, or let’s just say I’m hoping you don’t have a date. Whatever, I’ll meet you up after school.

Love,

“Jack Barakat?!” she squealed, causing almost everyone to look at her. I raised an eyebrow, wondering if she’s just kidding around or not. I didn’t see his name anywhere in the letter, so I was dead curious. She handed me the paper pointing her index finger on a part where the name ‘Jack Barakat’ is written.

So the guy who kept on sending me those text messages, love letters in my locker and sometimes, in my mail box is Jack Barakat? As much as how I just want to despise that fact, I couldn’t help having those butterflies on my stomach. I looked over to the table I last saw Alex and Rian. They’re both smiling at me, giving me two thumbs up. I smiled back, but I didn’t even know why. Jack wasn’t there with them, so I looked around to find him. He was nowhere to be seen on the cafeteria, so I just looked down on the paper again and sighed.

“Jack Barakat’s asking you out, Scarlett!” Taylor squealed again. Jesus.

“Oh please, Taylor” I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

Jack

I was about to enter the cafeteria when I heard a familiar voice shouted my name loud enough for everyone on this school to hear. I looked to see where it came from and I realized it was Taylor James, and her eyes were flickered on Scarlett’s. Wait, they’re having lunch on the same table? How the fuck did this happen? Scarlett is no Taylor James, though I barely know her, I know they’re too different from each other to share a table during lunch. I then realized a few eyes were already staring at me so I cut my thoughts off and took a step back from the cafeteria.

I went outside and just sat on one of the wooden benches. Yes, I don’t care if I seem like a loner or something, but I just can’t face everyone there at the moment. I don’t even know what kind of affect Scarlett has on me, I never gave a girl those kind of letters and text messages before, ‘cause usually if I like a girl, I’ll ask her out right away. But it’s different with Scarlett, I mean, I feel different when it comes to her. I couldn’t even face her or something, the last time I got to talk to her was during Biology, she was my activity partner for the day and we got nothing but the lectures to talk about, so that was pretty much it.

“Jack” I heard someone call, I didn’t look back ‘cause I was pretty sure it’s just Kara or some other girl from the school. “Jack?” she called again, but this time I realized it was some familiar voice, so I looked back and saw... Scarlett. She then sat next to me and took out the letter. I looked down, I was pretty shy about it, I didn’t know if she’s gonna like it or not. “You’re my date” she said, her head up high, giving me a glimpse of her amazing smile.

“Scarl, if you’re only doing this ‘cause Taylor squealed a lot about this, you don’t have-“

“I’m doing this ‘cause I’m having you as my date for today, Valentine’s Day” she cut me off, then kissed the right side of my cheek.

“So the letters and text messages doesn’t… you know” I asked in confusion. I knew how annoyed Scarlett could get because of everything I sent her before. Well, the only reason why she’s still not getting mad at me is obviously, she never had a clue on who’s the secret admirer or something, well not until Taylor cleared it all up.

“Nah, I think it was all cute. I may seem annoyed or something, but I just don’t like people talking about me having a secret admirer or something” she patted my shoulder as I looked up to see her smiling, her bright green eyes flickered on mine. I couldn’t even tell how her glow works on me. “But what makes me wonder is that…” she stopped for a while as she looked down. “Is that why did you like, put yourself in disguise? I mean, you’re Jack Barakat, you’re no far from Alex Gaskarth. You got those girls swoon over you and-“

“Do YOU swoon over me?” I cut her off. I know I shouldn’t have said that, but we’re like getting on the ‘obvious part’, so there’s just nothing left to hide, to disguise, like what I’ve always done for the past two years. Yes, you heard it right, I’ve liked Scarlett for two years, I’ve been sending her letters and text messages for two years. I am a fanboy, I’d go crazy for her.

She shrugged while looking down at her hands. She then looked up and finally had the courage to speak to break the awkward silence between us. “Barakat, you must have a reason why you sent me all those letters and text messages and stuff” she insisted, scratching the back of her head as if she didn’t mean to sound like how she did.

“Uh… I l-like you?” I scratched the back of my head as I said that. I felt really awkwardly shy after that but I could see she doesn’t mind it at all.

“Yea, thanks for that. But… why me?” she muttered, playing with the letter I gave her.

“That would go on forever” I said arrogantly, she smirked and rolled her eyes. I laughed a little, but then I scratched the back of my ear. “I’m serious with that, really. And you might just walk off on me if I’ll cite the whole eternal list”

“List?” she raised an eyebrow and she curled a few strands of her wavy brunette hair. I nodded without looking away from her gaze. “Uh, a list on your mind, or a literal list?” she tilted her head, looking for clearer answers.

“Both. But that’s it. I’m not telling you more about it” I whined as I snapped my fingers in front of her. She giggled as she shook her head.

“Yea whatever, Jack. Pick me up at my house at eight. Oh, uhm well I’m pretty sure you know where my house is” she stood up as the bell rang. I nodded and waved at her. She waved back before walking back to the school. I gotta be honest, I was nervous the whole time we’re talking. Though I think she’s alright going out with me tonight, I was still very nervous. This is my first date with her, with Scarlett James, with the only girl I went head over heels for.

Scarlett

After I spent lunch time with Jack outside, I still couldn’t help replaying the moment where he said he ‘likes’ me on my mind. Sure, I think Jack’s awesome, he’s funny and I think he’s pretty sweet too, but this is all new for me. I haven’t been on a date for almost a year, but it didn’t bother me that much, my life isn’t all about dating and stuff.

The last bell finally rang which caused me to jump and sighed the sigh of relief (again). I waved Mrs. Jilliver a goodbye as I walked out of my History class. I went to my locker and put all my books inside of it. Then I noticed a slender figure beside me, well who else could it be? Taylor James.

“Pretty excited about your date, Cooper?” she giggled as she leaned her back against the next locker. I shrugged and looked down. “Don’t worry, Coop. I told the squad I couldn’t attend today’s practice, so that means I’m gonna stay at your house til Jack picks you up”

“What? You ditched your practice to help me?” I asked it as if I know she’s just kidding or something. She nodded and gave in a smile. “No, Tay. You don’t have to do that, go tell them you’re going” I told her while I wrapped my arms around my books against my chest.

“Don’t even worry about it, Scarl. You’re going out with Jack Barakat, you barely know him, you need help” she sent me a wink as she linked her arms to mine and we walked on the hallway. I shook my head but continued walking with her.

“How much do you know him?” I asked as we went inside my Mustang.

“Hm, let’s see… maybe we could say I used to be his ‘fangirl’” she laughed a little, buckling up her seatbelts.

“Did you two date or something?” I asked as shoved my hair upward.

“Nah, but I used to have the biggest crush on him, but that was like a long time ago. He went out with this whore then I just got over him, but don’t worry, I still know a lot about him, my friend, Dianna used to date him, and she told me everything she knew about him. Well, Jack’s not a douche, just so you know. He’s pretty cool” the drive to my house weren’t silence or boring or odd at all. It wasn’t weird having Taylor drive and talking to her about Jack.

When we reached our house, Taylor parked the car on the right side of the garage. We went out of the car and picked up our bags from the passenger seat.

“Mom?” I called as we entered our house. “Make yourself feel at home, Taylor.” I smiled as she sat on one of the leather couches on the living room.

“Hey sweetie!” I saw my mom walking towards me from the kitchen.

“Mom that’s my friend, Taylor” Taylor stood up and gave my mom a hug. My mom hugged back and gave her a huge smile.

“So, are you girls hungry or-“ before she could even finish whatever she’s saying, Taylor cut her off.

“No, don’t worry about it, Mrs. Cooper. I’m actually here to help your daughter get ready for her da-“ I covered her mouth as I rolled my eyes, my mom’s eyes were flickered on me, but I could tell she wasn’t mad or anything, I could tell she’s even happy about it.

“Well, have fun on your date, hun. If it all worked out really well, I’d like to meet the guy” she said before turning around and walking back to the kitchen.

“Nice try, James” I rolled my eyes as I went upstairs with Taylor.

“I bet she’ll like him. He’s a sweetheart, not an ass” she giggled, still linking her arms with mine as we entered my room. “Pretty room you got here, Scarl” she said as she looked around my room. “Awww what a cutie!” she whined as she looked at the photographs.

“Yea whatever, Tay. Help me pick out my outfit” I called, crossing my arms against my chest. Taylor then walked into my closet and helped me pick out what I’ll wear for my date. After almost an hour of trying this dress and that pair, we finally found the ‘one’. I still have no clue on where will Jack take me on our first date so I decided to agree with the cocktail dress my mom gave me for my fifteenth birthday.

“You look wonderful, Scarly” Taylor mumbled as she asked me to turn around. “I mean, I’m not even trying to flatter you or something. Jack’s gonna love this” she then tackled me into a hug.

“Thanks, Tay” I said as I rubbed her back. I’ve never thought I’d be this close to Taylor, I mean, you could really tell how we differ from each other, but she doesn’t seem to mind. She likes being friends with everybody, and it’s always a good thing.

“Alright, let’s cut the drama for a while, c’mon, I’ll do your makeup” she pulled over from the hug and grabbed my wrist.

“W-wait. I’ll go cha-“ Oh well, she cut me off.

“No. Don’t change, you’ll wear that until your date’s over. C’mon, I’ll do your makeup and you hair, that’d take us for a while” she said as I sat in front of the mirror. We spent almost an hour and a half just getting myself ready. Taylor applied some makeup on me, and did my hair; she curled it and made a small bun. Few minutes later, we heard my mom call.

Jack

I was really nervous as I sat up on one of the couches on Scarlett’s house. This is my first date with her, usually I don’t get really nervous at all when I’m on a date or something, but like I said, it’s all different with Scarlett.

“Oh hi, Jack!” I looked up to see a slender figure in a floral cocktail dress. Geez, she looks wonderful.

“Hey” I stood up, feeling awkward and shy at the same time. “Ready?” I asked, pretending to be the comfy-Jacky everyone learned to love. She nodded and walked out of the house with me. The drive to the ‘destination’ was silent, neither of us dared to speak, but I didn’t seem to mind. This is our first date, I’d been expecting it to be kind of awkward.

We reached the place, and I could tell Scarlett still has no idea on where I’m gonna take her. She linked her arms to mine like a lost little girl. I giggled but she didn’t seem to mind. “Here we are” I said, looking around the green surroundings. She raised an eyebrow as she walked around the area. “Sorry, I don’t do dinner dates” I shrugged, but she came to me and gave me a hug.

“I love it here, Jack” she muttered, grabbing my wrist so we could sit on the wooden swing bench. We looked up to the sky, while talking about this and that. A few minutes later, silence filled the area, so I then grabbed my little notebook on the back of my pocket. I took out a pen and wrote…

The way she looks while looking up to the dark sky is indescribable.

“Hey what’s that?” I looked up to see Scarlett checking out my little notebook. I then put it behind my back so she wouldn’t see.

“Oh, i-it’s nothing” I shook my head, trying to keep my notebook away from her. There’s no way she’s going to see it. I tried everything to hide it from her but Scarlett’s one of a kind, no matter how I protected my little notebook, she still got it.

“What’s this?” she laughed as she flipped over the pages.

“I told you that’s nothing” I scratched the back of my head, feeling really awkward.

“Hey I could see my name everywhere in this notebook. This should be something, please tell me” she smiled, her bright green eyes flickered on mine.

“Those… those are some reasons, I mean, those reasons that could be written down” I looked down, expecting she’ll just laugh at it. I know listing down each and every reason why I like her on a little piece of a notebook is probably the most awkward thing a guy could ever do. I told Alex about it but he just turned into hysterics, but he told me to keep on doing it.

“Reasons?” she asked as she gave me back the notebook.

“Why I… I l-like you” this time, I didn’t look down. I just locked my eyes to hers. Tears started getting visible in her eyes, I wiped the first tear drop right away, and held her hand. “Well, I didn’t lie to you when I said the reasons could go on forever. I only have this little notebook with me just in case I got to add some more” I moved closer and gave her a hug.

“Thanks, Jack. You don’t even know how-“ I cut her off and pressed my lips against hers. She kissed me back and hugged me tighter. I could feel her smile during the kiss.

“Just so you know, no matter how many times you read everything written in that notebook, you’ll never know why I really like you. Like I said, the reasons would go on forever, and I say forever, I mean it” I mumbled, kissing her forehead and draping my arm around her shoulder.

“Yea whatever you say, Jack” she buried her face on my chest as we continued watching the stars above us.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? <3