Status: Short story :)

It's Love That You Want, but Not Love That You Make

an alex gaskarth one shot.

Tears never went away from Katie since Friday night. The guy she thought she’s gonna spend forever with dumped her, and she never thought she could be any more miserable. It’s been a week since the break up, every morning Katie has to stand up for herself to get over Pete, though she still thinks she’s having the hardest time of her life. Katie has given everything to him, well except for her virginity, which is one of the possible reasons why Pete dumped her.

“You haven’t been eating a lot less lately, Kate” Callie mumbled after Katie pushed the bed tray away from her. Callie got up, leaving the bed tray on the floor. “I know it’s hard, Kate. I’ve been through that a lot, but you have to move on. Get over him, he’s not worth of all of this” she said as she walked up to the door to exit Katie’s room.

“Cal?” Kate spoke for pretty much the first time in a few days. Callie immediately looked back with a worried look on her face. “Please stay” she mumbled as Katie walked up to her and sat on her bed. Tears started blurring her eyes again as Katie tackled her into a tight sisterly hug.

“Katie, you’re a lot better than this. Don’t risk your emotions for such a douche like him. There are a lot of other guys up there, like I said you’re better than this. Hence, you deserve better” Callie counseled as she rubbed her sister’s back. “You have to eat, Kate” she then grabbed the tray from the floor and put it in front of Katie. Katie then took a bite of the veggie sandwich Callie made just for her. Suddenly there was a doorbell, which made both of them wondering who that might be, ‘cause their parents are out of town and almost all of their friends from school are currently at a party. “I’ll take it. Finish that” Callie stood up and jogged downstairs.

“Oh. Hi guys” she smiled at the three good looking guys in front of her. “Aren’t you guys supposed to be at Tara’s party?” she asked awkwardly since she’s still clueless why the three of the most popular guys in her school are standing on her doorway.

“Uh, aren’t you going to let us in? I’m pretty sure we’re gonna stay for a little while” Alex, one of the guys asked. Rian and Jack smirked but stopped immediately when Callie gave them a glare.

“Yea come in” she widened the door for the guys to enter her house.

“It’s a lot nicer here” Alex mumbled as he looked around the house. He looked at Callie, who gave him a confused look, looking for more answers. “I mean, I’d rather spend my night here than to go to Tara’s wasted party” he giggled as he sat on the front couch. Rian and Jack took the opposite spots next to him.

“So you’re saying… you guys went here so you wouldn’t have to stay at Tara’s?” she asked sarcastically as she went to the kitchen to give the guys something to chew.

“Mhmm, but that’s not all, we got pretty concerned about Katie” Jack mumbled as he played with the pillow sheet. “Where is she?”

“Upstairs. Don’t worry, I’ll call her to go here later” she said as she put a tray of cookies on the front table.

“Sweet!” Rian whined, grabbing a piece of the choco chip cookie.

“Why won’t you call her now?” Alex asked, his mouth already full of cookies.

“I don’t think I’d want her to see you guys like that” she shook her head and gave in a little smirk.

“You’re a mean sister” Jack and Alex said in unison, then gave each other a high five right after.

“Whatever. She’s still eating, I don’t think she’d still be able to do that if she sees you guys like that” she said sarcastically as she grabbed a piece of cookie from the tray.

“Well, we got pretty worried about her” Jack mumbled as he leaned his back against the sofa. “She hasn’t been that active in Bio class. I miss my hyper Lab partner” he said as he pouted his lower lip.

“Pete affected her a lot” Callie muttered, playing with her fingernails.

“Woah, you didn’t tell me we have visitors” Katie cited as she went downstairs and joined her sister and guys on the living room. “Hey, Jack. Hey, Rian. Hey Alex” she said as she nods at them.

“Are you my hyper active Lab partner who throws papers at random kids with me during experiments? If not, don’t talk to me” Jack mumbled, rolling his eyes as he crossed his arms. Katie then sat on the spot next to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

“I think I am. I could prove it to you if you’d give me chance” She said as she linked her arm to Jack’s.

Callie got curious about her sister’s moodswing but she didn’t seem to mind or ask her anything about it, the sandwich she made her probably helped her a lot.

“No need. I believe you, but we have to throw a lot of papers tomorrow, mmkay?” Jack said as he rubbed the back of her head as they both giggled.

“You two look disgusting” Alex cut them off and gave in a smirk.

“You’re just jealous ‘cause your lab partner wants nothing but to blow you” Jack teased as everyone in the room but Alex turned into hysterics.

“Whatever you say, douchebag” Alex rolled his eyes as he took out his phone.

“Someone’s calling and will be crying to his little baby girlfriend” Rian joked as Callie slapped his arm due to extreme laughter.

“I don’t have a girlfriend, you prick” Alex hesitated as everyone else Oh-ed. Alex then flickered his eyes to Katie but looked away when she caught his glance.

“Who wants ice cream?!” Jack yelled, standing up and pulling out his wallet. “I feel generous today. Ben & Jerry’s? Dairy Queen?”

“I’ll go with you” Callie stood up, walking up to Jack.

“Me too! I might as well pick up Kara, I’m pretty sure she’s getting sick of the party” Rian said, volunteering to go outside with the two to buy some ice cream.

“Alright, alright. Alex, don’t even dare to volunteer yourself. Stay with my sister, entertain her” Callie commanded as she grabbed her coat from the rack.

“Sure thing. Want me to strip in front of her? That’s entertainment” Alex laughed as he sat on the spot next to Katie. Callie, Jack and Rian walked out of the house, leaving Alex and Katie alone on the living room. The silence was awkward, neither of them knew why. “So…” he finally had the courage to speak, even just a single word.

“Have you ever been through something where you felt you just wasted yourself on someone?” Katie asked without unlocking her eyes on her hands. Alex moved in closer since he knew this would be a deep and serious talk.

“I don’t know. Probably” he shrugged, looking at Katie’s direction. “Is that how you feel right now?”

“I guess so” she muttered. “I mean, I felt miserable a few days after he dumped me, but this morning, I just realized I’ve been wasting myself on thinking about our breakup” she then rested her head on Alex’s shoulder.

Alex then draped his arm around her shoulder, resting his head on hers. “Want me to sing for you?” he asked as he rubbed the back of her head. She then gave him a single nod, waiting for him to sing. He coughed a little before he started doing a short acapella for her.

Save your heart
For someone that's worth dying for
Don't give it away
Torn apart
Never getting what you've been crying for
It's always the same

Katie gave in a small giggle after hearing Alex sing the chorus part of one of her favorite songs. “I’m not finished” he informed her, giving in a little cough again to clear up his throat.

And you give (and you give)
And they take (and they take)
And it's love that you want
But not love that you make

They sang together to end the song.

Save your heart
For someone who leaves you breathless
And I know that you're scared
Seems like someone said you had it in you (are you scared?)
All along you said you knew this was wrong
But still worth dying for

And you give (and you give)
And they take (and they take)
And it's love that you want
But not love that you make

Save your heart
For someone that's worth dying for
Don't give it away
Don't give it away

“Like it?” he bowed his head a bit down to look at Katie, whose eyes are starting get watery. When the first tear fell down on her cheeks, he immediately wiped them away and kissed her cheek.

“It’s unfair, how do you even do that?” she asked as she wrapped her arms around his torso.

“Do what?” he asked as he played with her light blonde curled hair.

“Make me blush. Cheer me up” she said, pinching his cheek.

“I don’t know… I guess it’s just the fact that I’m Alex Gaskarth” he said arrogantly, giving her a wink. He couldn’t stop smiling as he look into her bright blue eyes.

A few days later, Katie was back. She got over Pete and she wasn’t that miserable anymore. Everyday at lunch, she sits with Alex, Jack, Rian, and Kara. Things between Alex and Katie were getting better, they didn’t kiss yet or something, but they became the best of friends. Alex took his time before he had the courage to ask Katie out. What happened next? That wouldn’t matter for now. No one could tell how Katie hated herself after she realized she’s been wasting her life on Pete’s memories with her, but Alex was on the rescue; he knew exactly how to cheer her up.

There are just some times in life when we think if we lose this or if we lose that, we wouldn’t have any reason to flash a smile, a real smile, but there’s no need to regret anything for that. It’s actually what makes us realize how good it could get to have someone on our side who’s willing to hold our self-esteem up to its highest. That ‘someone’ is not necessarily the ‘lover’ or something, it could be a friend, a relative, but one thing’s for sure; he or she exists, and you are one of the reasons why. I'm pretty sure that people who read this are probably in their teenage years; oh well, be happy. There are still a lot in life we have to see, don't let misery over someone who's not even worth it ruin them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seriously, this is like the most cliche story I've ever made. I was having second thoughts on whether I'm posting it or not but yeah... Haha I wrote that like months ago so forgive the cliche-ness :)