Status: Inactive

Innocent Cheater

McDonald's Small Chat

McDonald’s was really, a symbol. With its large looming yellow arch and gleaming sign it represented a lot of things. For me, it was normality. Nothing changed when you walked into McDonald’s. The menu remained the same, uniform standard, and scenery familiar. It’s always nice to know that in the fast moving time, things don’t always have to change just because of scenery.

Being an artist I like to capture and preserve moments. Keeping the tiny snapshots of life, and seeing the happy side of things. I was able to see the good, pushing past all the darkness to finally see the light in things.

Jake always commented on my glass-is-half-full attitude, claiming it wasn’t always the best thing. At times, I do admit it wasn’t. I always analyzed situations knowing in the end that the good times will always outweigh the consequences that will come. I had common sense though, and I used it sometimes. But it was mostly a nagging thought in the back of my mind, chewing and edging its way into my brain at the most dyer times.

I stood in line looking at the bus schedule deciding to catch the next one leaving in half an hour. I stood in line as a woman in front of me tried to control her kids who were nagging about toys.

“No! If I get the red robot, we trade. You promised the last time!” the boy stomped, fists balled up at his tiny sides.

Despite the family in front of me, and the tired adolescent who was standing behind the register, the place was empty. A few cars zoomed through drive-through, hoping to get their food and jet off. From behind me, I heard a low chuckle and I turned around at the noise.

“Little kids are so funny.” he nodded toward the cute sibling couple.

“I know, their usual troubles make everything I go through seem like nothing.” I laughed along with him using a pinch of sarcasm. The boy was about my height with chocolate brown bangs and wearing a purple hoodie with sunglasses, despite it being dark outside.

“The horror of not getting the right robot!” he smiled flipping his hair.

“Tell me about it.” I said turning to face forward again as I approached the counter.

“Diet Pepsi and two apple pies.” I ordered taking out a few crinkled dollars.

“Small, medium, large, or extra?” he asked in monotone, yet cracked voice.

“Extra large.” I said handing him the cash after receiving the unhealthy combination. But, it’s to be expected at a McDonald’s. I looked over and took a seat at a lone table near the window and took a sip of the soda. I always ordered these, usually drinking them the rest of the night while chewing on the straw. Taking out a purple pen I started to draw whatever came to mind on a spare napkin. From mini alien heads to cubes I doodled mindlessly until I felt movement at my table.

Looking up, I saw it was the boy from earlier in line. “Hey there, stranger.” I nodded toward him as he took a seat. I was a friendly person, usually striking up conversations with people in the supermarket or the person next to me on the bus.

“Sorry, did you want me-“

“No, it’s fine. I heard people turn crazy when they spend too much time alone.” I smiled putting the pen down and taking a sip of Pepsi.

“Gotta ‘nuff to drink there?” he asked with a teasing smirk as he motioned toward the drink.

“Bad habit started when I was ten and got my drink order mixed up. Been addicted to these ever since.”

“Nice.” he smiled again, something he seemed to be doing a lot. In a way it was contagious; you couldn’t help but do the same.

“So are you from here or a tourist?” I asked taking a bite of pie.

“Um, in between. I’m here a lot so I kinda know a lot about the city.”

“Cool, I was born and raised here. It’s always funny to hear tourist on the street comment on stuff that seems so cool to them, but I see it every day.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

There was a comfortable silence for a moment while I chewed silently and he ate his burger.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why are you wearing sunglasses? I know it’s bright outside and all…” I nodded sarcastically toward the window that showed the night sky. He shrugged and looked around hesitantly before taking off the shades. He looked at me nervously as my eyes widened and stared at him in shock.

I finally composed myself after picking up my jaw. “I guess you have a valid reason.” I commented and he let out a small laugh.

“I guess you’re right about that.”

“I don’t mean to sound like a fan girl…but I saw your concert tonight and it was good.” I gushed feeling a slight blush creep on my face.

“Thanks, I remember seeing you at the meet and greet, your hand.” he motioned toward it.

“Oh right, I guess you saw your name on my shirt.” I added.

“That too, and I always remembered pretty faces.” he smiled and I felt I rush of heat run over me and an unfamiliar rush of butterflies.

“Um thanks, I guess.” I said running a hand through my hair.

“You're welcome.” he laughed with a small smile.

“You smile a lot. It’s a good thing, I hate when people are sad.” I commented changing the subject.

“Better to smile than be mad all the time. I’m getting kind of used to putting on smiles. Fake, or not.” he added on silently.

“Well, you shouldn’t smile when you’re unhappy; it’s something I try not to do. It happens a lot though.” I thought, saying more to myself than him.

“That’s a good idea.”

And this was where we met. A familiar scene, in an ordinary place. But later, his small smiles and flirtatious attitude would lead into something more than a simple conversation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shorter chapter but I hoped you enjoyed.

Comment, rate, and subscribe!