Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

The Town's Been Talkin'

Growing up, I used to love road trips. I'm not sure why, but my parents cramming my brother and I along with several suitcases and bags in the backseat enticed me. I rather enjoyed being stuck in a rather small car for hours on end. My brother and I would fight occasionally, but then get yelled at by our father so we would keep our mouths shut. If we weren't fighting, we were playing some sort of ridiculous game.

I can't sugarcoat how wealthy my family is. My brother and I were never bored with the endless supply of toys we received. Yes, we were spoiled, but in no way were we brats. In the backseat of that car, we would play with our game-boys and the disc players given to us.

I enjoyed picking out the CDS we received. My mother tried to get me into the likes of young, post crazy Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera's genie in a bottle craze. Unlike most girls my age, I drifted to a different scene. I suppose it was rather odd of me- turning towards artists like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers instead of the Backstreet Boys and NYNSC, but it was what I liked. I think it was Uncle Rich that influenced me. He was always playing artists unknown to my brother and I. We immediately drifted towards the songs we heard with him.

My Uncle Rich and Aunt Sara lived in Tempe, Arizona, which was the destination for most of our road trips. I loved going there, which I guess has something to do with why I loved road trips.

But in all honesty, I don't think thats the reason why at all.

Being in the car, despite my mother and father arguing about directions and my father cursing his children out, it was the closest we had ever been.

We lived in a large house in Nevada, but closer to the border of Oregon. I hardly saw my parents, for they worked like crazy. We hardly ever sat at the same table while eating dinner and overall, we just weren't a tight knit family.

That is, except for my brother and I. We were close.

But here I am now, Carson Thomas, being shipped off to Tempe, Arizona all by myself, in a car with a complete stranger.

My eyes scanning the roads that were once so familiar to me. I should be excited to see Aunt Sara, but she has been so different lately.

I was always close with my Uncle Rich. There were times we I had wished he had been my father and that Aunt Sara was my mother. Oh hell, I always wished that, I still wished that.

Uncle Rich opened up this whole new world of music for me. Introducing me to different artists and bands that I found myself listening to constantly. My friends back home never understood why I wouldn't share their interest in the radio and common stations, that played the same commercial and general crap over and over again.

When we visited my aunt and uncle in Tempe, my parents would seem to disappear. My mother would go out shopping, but I have no idea where. It's not like Tempe was the shopping capital of the world. And my father went golfing. Quite frankly, I didn't give damn where the two went, as long as they left me in the arms of Uncle Rich and Aunt Sara.

My parents never seemed to enjoy going to Tempe, which I always found ridiculous, but now that I'm older, I sort of understand it.

But anyway, I'm not happy to be leaving home, for once.

My parents seem to be 'disowning' me for some 'unholy' decisions that I made. First off, since when do the two fuck heads even practice their religion. And second, I performed these 'unholy' actions for a reason.

I was always a good kid. I mess up once and I'm practically thrown out of their life.

I shook the thought and slumped back into my seat. I eyed the boy next to me driving the car. Damn, what was his name?

"Who are you, again?" I asked, clearly irritated.

I wasn't always this pissy, especially to strangers. Oh god no, never this bitchy in front of stranger. I didn't start to get like this until after I knew them.

But right now, I wasn't in such a great mood. It was pretty evident, and I think the kid got the idea.

"I'm Jared."

I stared at him for a moment, waiting for him to continue on. To my surprise, he never did.

"Well, aren't you blunt?" I raised my eyebrows, rolled my eyes, and slumped back in my seat. If my mother was here, she would tell me to behave.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. I was in your neighborhood visiting some relatives. I'm guessing your parents know my relatives and found out that I'm from Tempe......"

"Ah, a free, cheap ride. Sounds exactly like my father."

Jared bit his lip and looked around awkwardly. Shit. Now I feel bad. "I'm sorry. I'm not normally this bitchy. I'm just not in the best mood."

"You don't like Tempe?"

I was quick to react to his question. "Oh no! I love Tempe. It's actually one of my favorite places on earth. It's just that I'm kind of angry with my parents."

"Oh, I see."

Yet again, another awkward, uncomfortable silence was placed among us. I sighed heavily and shook my head. "I'm Carson, by the way."

Jared held a small smile on his lips. "I'm aware."

"Do you, uh, know my aunt by any chance? Or are you seriously, a complete stranger."

"I have no idea who your aunt is."

My eyes went wide. "Why would you agree to driving me!? I could have been an axe murderer!"

"Why did you agree with letting a stranger drive you? I could have been an axe murderer." He replied, which caused me to grin like a mother.

"I had no choice." In normal situations, one would be ashamed or embarrassed. But not me, my decisions were right and I do not deserve to be 'disowned'.

"Oh, well, I'm sorry."

"No need to be."

Jared and I made idle chit chat for the rest of the trip. I discovered that he was in a band called The Maine with several of his friends that also lived in Tempe. He was 21.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"Nineteen."

"Oh, are you going to college at the university?"

I shook my head. "Nope. But my brother goes there."

"Oh yeah? I should ask my buddy John if he knows him. What his name?" Jared asked.

"Carter Thomas."

"Carter and Carson?" Jared chuckled. "That's cute."

I had to crack a smile. "I suppose it is. Our parents were clever people." Dry humor. Our parents got our names out of baby books.

"So, where are you going to college?"

"I'm not."

"Oh really? Well don't worry I didn't go either."

"Me not going is the reason why I'm here." I averted my gaze to the passenger window.

I suppose I was ashamed of my decision not to go to college. Boy were my parents pissed. So pissed, in fact, that they decided to kick me out of the house. Whoop de doo!

Jared didn't respond, which I respected. He hadn't asked any questions about why I'm going to Tempe or why my parents hate me or well, whatever other shit is going on in my life.

I remained staring outside the window for the next hour or two listening to Jared's music collection, which I enjoyed greatly. He had good music taste, which was probably required of him, since you know, he is in a band.

After waking up from a long overdue nap, I noticed the roads becoming slightly familiar.

My Uncle Rich died of cancer when I was fifteen. After that, we never went back to Tempe. I conversed several times with Aunt Sara on the phone, but she wasn't the same. I missed the Arizona air and most of all, the people.

Everyone was so friendly there, even when I had my bad days. I could be the biggest bitch to some stranger and they'd still respect me. I guess I was because I was young. I think now if I tried any of the shit I did then, the people would spit at me.

Being in Tempe was going to be weird, I already knew it. Without Uncle Rich, something is going to be missing.

My brother, Carter, told me Aunt Sara was better than after Rich died. Carter lives in an apartment in Tempe now not far from the university. He visits Aunt Sara on a daily basis.

As my eyes peeled open I recognized an oh so familiar sign. 'Welcome to Tempe.'

My stomach flipped and I sucked in a huge breath.

Jared noticed. "Excited?" He asked.

I stifled a smile. "I guess so."

He nodded his head. "Alright, well you're gonna have to help me get to your aunt's house. Do you know her address?"

Of course I did. "28 Sycamore Drive."

"Okay, thats not too far from where my apartment is. We'll be there in about ten minutes."

Butterflies went off in my stomach. Fluttering constantly and doing random, giant flips. Is it normal that I wanted to shoot each and every one of those butterflies.

"You know, you remind me of my friend John."

Jared's comment caught me off guard. Never had I been compared to someone else. "And why's that?"

"Well, you're really chill. And so is John. John also tend to think a lot, and well, you think a lot too."

"Oh." I replied, not really sure what to make of it.

"And the two of you seem to get kind of pissy."

Now that made me laugh. I smiled widely at Jared. "I can't argue with that." I shrugged.

"Uh, thanks a lot. You don't get too many strangers who will drive you where you want to go without them murdering you." I inquired, standing outside Jared's red pickup truck holding two suitcases in both of my hands and several other bags on the ground.

"No problem. Are you sure you don't want help with those? I'll gladly carry them up to the front door for you." He gestured to the bags on the ground.

I waved him off. "That's alright. I got 'em."

"Well, okay. Look, I'd like to meet up with you some other time. I think the rest of the guys in the band would like you a lot. Maybe we could hang out?"

I nodded my head, already knowing my answer. No.

God, how bitchy am I? It's not like the poor guy wanted a date; just a friendship. But I couldn't establish anymore relationships. My friends kicked me out, my parents kicked me out. All I have left is Carter and Aunt Sara.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Okay, I'll probably see you around town. Plus, there's a fair tomorrow night and The Maine is playing. You should come."

I smiled. I would actually love to see his band play. "Sure. I'll see if I can come."

"Alright then. Bye Carson." He waved.

"Bye." I smiled as he drove off.

I grabbed as many bags I could, managing to only leave two by the curb. I carried them up to the front door of the ranch and then raced back to the end of the road to get the other two. As I bent over and picked up the other two bags, a white van came rolling bye.

The van had several people in it. The driver pulled up to the curb and my eyes grew wide. People in white vans weren't safe. Didn't most children get abducted in vans?

The driver rolled down the window, exposing himself as a skinny guy with black ray-bands and sandy brownish blondish hair. "Ay baby!" He shouted and whistled. "You new in town?"

Ugh. Pig.

I ignored him, which only provoked him more.

"Oh, feisty aren't ya?"

Don't say anything.

He sighed heavily and started to drive up. As he did so, I flicked him the bird.

"Look!" Someone in the van shouted.

The kid driving the van turned around in the window to see me. He chuckled and drove off.

Great first experience. Looking forward to the rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
New fic!!!
I was going to wait until the end of the week to post this, but I was just too excited about it!
This is very long. Most chapter will not be this length, but I'll try not to make them this short.
Comment!
Subscribe!
:)