Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

Life Like This

"Um, would it be too much to ask for a ride?" John asked as we stepped out the front door, the sun instantly heating the previous air conditioned skin.

"It's fine. I have to run out and pick up couple things for Sara, anyway."

"Can I drive?" John asked, completely serious.

I scrunched my eyebrows. "You've got to be kidding me."

He looked at me as if nothing was wrong with his request.

I shook my head. "It's my car."

"Fine, fine." He brushed it off, sighing and sliding into the passenger side of my truck. I smile victoriously as I slipped into the drivers side.

Upon starting the engine, "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" By Death Cab For Cutie came on the CD I had in the stereo system.

John smiled and looked out the window. I noticed this out of the corner of my eye. "What?" I asked, slightly concerned and upset. Was he laughing at my choice of music?

"Nothing," he smiled and continued looking out the car window, pushing his Ray Bands up his noise. "it's just that, I like this song. A lot."

"Oh," I replied, slightly shocked. "I, um, so do I." I nodded my head, looking at the road, hoping not to catch him smiling again.

But he continued on smiling and then, out of nowhere, began to sing along to the lyrics.

"If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied, illuminate the NOs on their vacancy signs. If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks then I'll follow you into the dark."

I continued driving, trying to avoid his voice and biting my lip in hopes that I wouldn't say something stupid.

But god, I never realized it until now, but John's voice sent chills down my spin. It wasn't even just his singing voice either-but just whenever he spoke to me. It almost made me want to throw up- what I was saying was so cliche. I cringed at the thought of it.

Finally, we arrived at the apartment complex. John suggested that I come in for a minute, but for no apparent reason. I sighed heavily and agreed because quite frankly, I really didn't want to attend to the errands Sara wanted me to.

I followed John inside his apartment, sitting down on his couch next to him.

"So..." He began."

I nodded my head. "You invited me in here.... because?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I would have been bored without you."

Something about his comment made my stomach do flips. I bit down on my lip, but quickly released it, noticing that he was looking at me. "I entertain you?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"What about your girlfriend? Tara. What's going on with her these days?"

John sighed heavily, leaning back into his couch. "She's always busy with her friends. They go on day trips because she goes to college during the school year and doesn't see them often."

I nodded my head, but then paused. "Do you really think she's good for you?" I asked.

John gave me a look I couldn't quite decipher. "What's that suppose to mean?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. But according to the guys, every time you get involved with this girl you end up having a nasty break up. She doesn't seem to be that great anyway...." I mumbled the last part.

John stood up violently. "What's that suppose to mean?" He asked.

I stood up also, crossing my arms over my chest. "She seems like a bitch. That's all I'm saying."

John held up his arms and shook his head. "You don't even know her!"

I shrugged. "So? From what Pat and Garrett said-"

John cut me off. "Don't fucking listen to what Pat and Garrett say. They don't know shit."

"Excuse me John, but if I'm not mistaken that day at the mall, you didn't look to happy to see Tara at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure you called her a psychotic bitch."

John mumbled something under his breath and stormed off into the kitchen. I debated whether or not to follow him.

I paused for a moment, looking at the door. I probably should leave.

Nope.

I marched into the kitchen and looked at John's back as he stared out a window. "All I'm saying is that you shouldn't let some jerk-girl pull you down. If you don't break it off now, it will just be a repeat of all the times before."

I turned around, proud of myself and walked out of John's apartment. I closed the door, sighing heavily. I walked towards the railing in front of the door, observing the road in front of the complex and the parking lot.

"Carson!" John exclaimed, opening the door and letting out a sigh.

I turned around, shocked and with wide eyes. "Yeah?"

"You're right."

I stood there, biting my lip.

"I'm sorry."

A wide smile spread itself across John's face. He opened up his arms which were extremely long, and walked toward me.

"John," I groaned. "please, no."

He engulfed me into a hug, pulling me tight into his chest. He shook me and spun me, smiling and laughing as he did so.

Behind John, someone coughed and cleared their throat, "Um?"

John and I whipped around, exposing ourselves to the person.

"Carson?" My brother asked front he door pane of his apartment.

"Uh, hi." I swallowed hard.

Carter looked up at the tall boy standing next to me. "John?" He asked.

"Hi....." John trailed off.

"You guys know each other?"

"Yes." John and I quickly replied at the same time.

"Oh." Carter nodded his head, his eyes meeting mine once again.

"I should go." John started leaning towards his apartment.

I shot him a glare, clearly stating 'don't you dare leave me here.'

Carter nodded his head. "See you later then. While you're here Carson, why don't you come in?"

It wasn't really a question. Carter walked inside, leaving the door open behind him. John walked into his apartment, giving me a clear expression that explained his sorrow. I sighed heavily and shook my head.

"See you later?" John asked.

I shrugged. "If I survive."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about how long this took!
Comment :)