Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

Shake It

I stared at the vaguely familiar girl in the mirror. I had left her behind two and a half months ago and here she was, the same as before. It was weird to be reiniquanted with her; she seemed like a distant memory- almost like a blurry dream I had when I was just a child. She didn't seem real.

But I was staring at her.

I smoothed my dress carefully, letting out a shaky breath as I did so. Out of all the dresses my mother allowed me to wear this was my favorite, but that wasn't very special considering I hated most of proper, elegantly put together dresses she gave me. I looked like a doll in them- so refined and perfect; breakable.

The dress was a dark lavender with white and and pink flowers. It was fitted and the skinny black belt right across my upper stomach was beginning to bother me. I sucked in a breath and adjusted the dress. Nothing. I couldn't do anything.

My dark brown hair was tied back in a fairly loose braid. I knew my mother wouldn't appreciate the loose curls slipping out of the tie, but at this point, it was the least of my concerns. I applied the minimum amount of mascara, ignoring the eyeliner and instead going for an extremely light and fair shade of lavender to match the dress.

I slipped on a plain black pair of flats and glanced down at my wrist. I had on a silver bracelet my Uncle Rich got for my twelfth birthday. I wore it often back at home for formal events, but generally tried to avoid wearing it on a daily basis. I was sure it was expensive and I'd probably die if I lost it.

I took one good look at myself before leaving my room and slipping into the hallway. I walked into the kitchen to find Taylor and Sara fixing a salad.

"Need any help?" I asked, interrupting their conversation.

Their heads lifted. A smile quickly flashed across Taylor's face. She reached over to the sink, running her hands under the water and then dried them off before walking over to me. She placed her hands on my shoulders and spun me around.

"Hmmm," She bit back a smile and tapped her index finger on her chin. "well this is a new look for you."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. I sat down at the island in the middle of the kitchen, letting out a 'hmph' as I did so.

"Oh darling," Sara made her way to me. She placed a hand on my back and rubbed it in circles gently. "you look wonderful."

"You look really pretty Carson." Taylor smiled, making her way over to me.

I didn't answer either them. Instead I placed my hands on the counter and then placed my head on my hands.

The two went back to work on the salad silently. After about three minutes my curiosity got the best of me and I broke the silence.

"When are they coming?"

Sara glanced down at the gold watch on her wrist. "Should be about a half hour."

"And Carter?"

She shrugged. "He should be here any minute now."

My heart ached and my stomach flipped as I thought of the next guest. "John?"

Sara and Taylor's eyes connected and they gave each other a weak smile before looking back over at me.

"He'll be here before them. I promise."

I nodded my head and sucked in a breath. A thought quickly popped into my head. I raised my gaze, eyes wide. "Wait, John's family is coming too right?"

"That's right."

"So, Shane and Ross?"

The thought sent me in a panic. Oh my god. Shane, Ross, and my parents in the same room. Fucking Ross. Oh my god. And I was just worried about John!

"No they have some back to school stuff to work on. Plus, those two can be quite the trouble makers."

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. "I know."

A quick knock sounded on the front door before someone entered the house. I jumped lightly at the noise- which Taylor noticed and giggled lightly at. I stuck my tongue out at her, which in response, she returned the favor.

"Hello Carter. How's everything?" Sara said while peeling a cucumber.

"Oh you know," He grinned. "peachy."

My brother took a seat next to me and smiled. "Haven't seen you in awhile."

I raised my eyebrows. "Mhm."

He rolled his eyes. "So you and John....." He trailed off and I know what he meant.

"Yeah," I nodded my head. "he's coming today too."

"I should've given him a ride."

I shrugged. "He's coming with his parents."

"Ah," Carter nodded his head then let out a quick laugh. "I wonder what Mom and Dad will think about him."

I shot Carter a dirty look. "I don't wanna hear it right now."

He put his hands up in defense. "Fine. Whatever," Carter looked across the table at Taylor who was washing some type of fruit. "Hey Taylor."

Taylor's cheeks grew red. "Hi Carter. Long time no see."

"You got that right."

I gave Taylor a funny look before brushing it off. I let out a sigh. I was some tempted to just rip this dress off, wipe my makeup off and curl up in my bed. I didn't want this to bed happening at all.

I waited patiently at that table for what seemed like hours. I offered to help Sara repeatedly but she of course, declined and told me to relax. Was my nervousness that obviousness?

Finally, the door bell rang. Before I could even get up and rush over, Sara was at the door, welcoming Mrs. O'Callaghan and John.

"Hello sweetheart!" John's mother walked right up to me and engulfed me in a hug.

I hugged back tightly. I liked John's Mom.

She pulled away and offered me a smile. "How are you?"

"Oh, I'm good. And you?"

"I'm wonderful. Thank you for inviting us!"

It was really Sara's idea but I didn't object. "Of course," I laughed lightly. "How could we not?"

She shrugged. "Us O'Callaghan's love parties, but I'm sure you know that because of this one," She pointed over to John who happened to be talking to Sara.

Mrs. O'Callaghan and I parted, her going into the kitchen with Sara. I walked over to John with a smirk on my face, taking in what he was wearing.

I let out a light laugh and then bit my lip to stifle the ridiculous smile I had on my face. He stood there in black khaki's, a white v-neck, as always accompanied by his silver dog tags around his neck and a black blazer.

"You look great." I let out a breath and then glanced up at him.

John's hands immediately found my hips and he pulled my closer to him gently. "I try. But you know, you look spectacular."

I rolled my eyes. "You're trying to make me swoon aren't you?"

He shrugged. "That only depends on if it's working or not."

I quickly pecked him on the lips and then smiled. "Just a little."

"I see I've got some work ahead of me."

I grinned and shook my head. "Where's your dad?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Couldn't get out of work."

I nodded my head. "Gotcha."

I took hold of his hand and led him into the kitchen. He waved hello to Taylor and then was quickly talking to Carter. To my surprise and delight, they were talking about the guy down the hallway in their apartment complex. Apparently, the guy comes knocking on every door in the complex trying to sell t-shirts he has made. Also, he blasts his music really loud; something the neighbors really don't enjoy.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly. Despite this, I was still anxious about my parents.

"You really do look different." John eyed me.

I pursed my lips and turned to him. "I'm aware."

"It's kind of hot actually."

I'm not sure what it was- maybe the tension in the room, maybe his raspy voice, maybe his statement itself or my desire to rebel against my hypocritical, controlling parents, but I was suddenly sent into a frenzy.

I fucking wanted John. I wanted to grab his collar and crash his lips onto mine. I wanted him in my room, on top of me and doing whatever he wanted to me. I yearned for him. I desired him.

I swallowed the knot in my throat and stared at him. I noticed my skin burning and I bit my lip seductively. I didn't actually mean to- it was sort of basic instinct for me. Whenever I wanted a guy I did that, but it was different this time. I had never wanted anyone this badly.

John's eyes stared at me and I knew he had to be thinking the same thing. My palms grew sweaty and my heart was racing. I needed him. Right here and right now.

But before I could even process another thought the doorbell rung, snapping me away from my sexually desire.

Something small and fragile yet with a large impact dropped into the pit of my stomach, causing my breath to shorten and my eyes to glare at the door. I could easily get up and go towards it, but my whole body was immobile.

I could see John staring at me through the corner of my eye. His eyes shot to the door and then flickered back to me.

Why wasn't anyone getting the fucking door?

Did they not hear it?

John got up and I barely noticed until I saw him blocking my vision of the door. He slowly turned the knob and opened the door carefully, peering through the side.

The next thing I knew Sara and Taylor and Carter and Mrs O'Callaghan were in the kitchen, waiting. I sucked in a breath as my mother walked into the foyer, not even taking a second glance at John.

She wore a slimming black dress and black heels. Her dark brown hair, just like mine, was just above her shoulders and bobbed lightly as she took steps forward. She didn't acknowledge anyone in the house. Instead her red painted lips remained in a thin line as she glanced around the room, observing and judging every inch.

My father followed suit, looking at John oddly. My father closed the door, which caused John to move towards the corner of the house, allowing more room.

My father was a fairly big. He had muscle, but was old and tired so never exercised much. He had defiantly put on some weight since I had seen him last. He ran his hands along his gray suit jacket and adjusted his navy blue tie.

His eyes settled on me and then he raised his eyebrows. He held out his hands and walked towards me.

"Well?"

The minute his aggravated, cranky voice spoke I was snapped back into reality. It took me back to the girl I was before I got her. The girl that was a bitch and was tough and didn't give a shit about anyone, and that included her parents.

I raised my head and opened my eyes. "Well?"

My father's shoulders slumped down and he turned around towards my mother who was finally snapped out of her judgmental aroma and walking towards me.

"We haven't seen you all summer dear." Her voice was dry and unmeaningful. She didn't care. She didn't even want to be here.

"That's because you disowned me."

My father let out a breath and shook his head. He was irritated with me. My mother gave me a look up and down, inspecting my appearance. She sighed and followed my father who went on to greet my brother, Sara, Taylor and Mrs. O'Callaghan.

John walked towards me and I slowly started to panic. When they found out about John they would go apeshit.

John stood next to me, keeping his distance. "Whoa." He whispered.

I nodded my head. "I know."

The next hour was filled with my father's idiotic poltical ideas (although no one asked him) and my mother telling Sara she "Ought to clean up this place' and to 'Dress with a little more class." As Sara promised, more guest from the neighborhood stopped over.

To much of my surprise, I received a lot of alone time. Much of which I spent with John quietly.

John and I were sitting in silence at the island in the kitchen, eating the salad Sara and Taylor had prepared earlier when I noticed John's mother talking with mine.

In the middle of whatever Mrs. O'Callaghan was saying, my mother stopped her by pointing and say. "And you are?"

Mrs. O'Callaghan looked taken back for a moment, but then regained herself. She smiled lightly. "I'm Lea O'Callaghan. A friend of Sara's."

"Oh yes," My mother nodded her head.

"My son is John. He's dating Carson."

My mother's eyes bore into the Mrs. O'Callaghan. She then blinked multiple times then glanced over at me and John, who happened not to be paying any attention to this whatsoever.

"Oh yes." My mother smiled. "If you could excuse me."

Before John's mother could say anything my mother departed from the conversation, moving outside.

"I'll be right back." I said to John, before following my mother outside.

I found her on the side of Sara's ranch talking with Sara. She was talking rather loud and aggressively.

"Dear god Sara! She has a boyfriend! Nonetheless a rag of a boy like that! Have you seen his hair!? My lord it seems as if he hasn't a clue how to look presentable whatsoever!"

"I can assure you he's a very nice boy. He is so sweet and so good to her."

"That does not matter. She was suppose to come down here as a punishment. Allowing here to have a boyfriend was not on the list dear. I have no clue why my brother would marry a woman such as yourself. You clearly have no set of morals."

"Excuse me?"

"He is a piece of trash. And I can already assume at first glance that the family is not of money-"

Sara cut her off. "Why should that matter? They're happy."

"Oh please! Have you met my daughter? She isn't happy. She never has been and most likely never will. No boy can change that. Plus," I could hear the smile in my mother's voice. "We, as the parents are picking who she will marry. We've set her up on dates before. We have just been acquainted with a lovely family and the son is about three years older than Carson. We plan on setting them up."

"She's nineteen for christ sake! And you can't pick who she will marry. That's not-"

"She isn't dumb. All of us know that," My mother snapped. "She knows that by choosing not to go to college she has almost no future. She will come crawling back to us eventually. You can't deny that."

I didn't want to hear anymore. I ran back to the house and inside. I brushed passed everyone until I got to the one person I truly wanted to see. Without speaking, I grabbed his hand, pulling him with me.

I pulled him into my room and locked the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dress/Outfit!
Oh boy do I have a story for you guys.
Here we go:
So, I was extremely eager and excited to write out this chapter. Saturday night (and I'm talking midnight here) I was typing this up and finished at about one in the morning. I decided that I would probably end up posting it the next day because I was very tired and wanted to sleep.

Well...... that didn't really work out.

I woke up Sunday morning to no power thanks to this wonderful tropical storm going by the name "Irene". Basically, I just got power back an hour ago (nine o'clock on Wednesday night).

I was going crazy because I really wanted to post this and have you guys read it and skjahfajsnvusn. It's such a big chapter! Very important!

Anyway, here it is now and I seriously hoped you all loved it!

Anyone else suffer the wrath of Irene?