Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

In Darkness and In Light

"Whoa that's some serious shit right there." Rod laughed, standing up from my bed and scratching the back of his head.

I swallowed hard, the paper still in my hands. I sucked in a deep breath and looked up at this new founded friend of mine. "I know."

"So you guys were pretty serious, eh?"

I shrugged. "I guess. I didn't realize really until now. To him, it was always something different than his other relationships."

Rod nodded his head and glanced around my giant room. He eyed certain areas curiously, but didn't say anything. His shoulders slumped over. "I should be getting downstairs. The party seems to be wrapping up."

"Okay," I nodded my head, looking at this attractive boy extremely well dressed in front of me. I knew for a fact the old me wouldn't hesitate to grab him by his tie and pull him into me. Actually, I was surprised that I didn't to begin with- everything about him reminded me of John.

It was subtle things- his crooked smile, his foul mouth and the way his eyes glistened whenever he looked at me. It shocked me that I could control myself around him, but I guess the major differences in looks between the two is what kept me from realizing Rod wasn't John.

"Thanks for staying."

He shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking away. "Of course. We're friends now aren't we? Us fuck-ups ought to stick together."

I surprised a smile. "We really do."

Rod let out a laugh before exiting my room, closing the door behind him. I found myself smiling and even shaking my head. That is, until my eyes found the paper in front of me again. I didn't want to read it again, but I couldn't help it. My eyes scanned it once again.

It was a simple picture and words scribbled at the bottom of the paper in John's messy hand writing. It was so easy- it probably took him three minutes to send it. Still, it managed to make my whole body feel like shutting down.

I leaned back into my enormous bed- it was too big and I wished for the perfect sized bed that I once slept in at Sara's house. Either way, I sunk into the covers and continued staring at the photograph.

I didn't even realize it was taken. But that was sort of obvious- it was John and I at the beach in California, clearly before we were together, standing close to each other, our hands nearly touching. I was looking towards the ground, laughing and John was laughing with me, yet his eyes were on me.

Underneath the photograph was something so easy, and so simple, yet it nearly killed me.

"I'm sorry."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The copy machine was broken and the entire firm was in complete mayhem.

There wasn't anything I could really do though, so I resumed my spot next to the copy machine and hit in a couple times, hoping it would work. I sighed heavily and slouched against the wall.

"Damn," I muttered under my breath.

I looked around for someone who wasn't busy and could possibly help me, but that was nearly impossible. Some huge murder case was just assigned to my mother and well, she needed all the help she could get. The entire office feared my mother, so of course, when she needed something, she got it. Everyone was helping her with this case. If they didn't, they might as well consider themselves fire.

But then there was Patricia Larken. She was about ten years older than my mother and her biggest competition. Patricia (who asked me to call her that, by the way) was a fierce business woman with the thirst for success. She was powerful and I had no clue to why she put up with some of my mother's crap.

"Patricia," I bit my lip as she walked past me. I didn't really know what I was doing exactly- I had a doubt that Mrs. Larken knew the first thing about copy machines, but at this point I was desperate.

She turned around, a smile crossing her red painted lips that matched her red blazer and skirt. "Yes dear?"

I swallowed hard. "The copy machine. I think it may be broken and I need a dozen copies of these for my mother."

"Hmm," She walked towards me and the copy machine. She sighed and looked at me. "I have my own personal copy machine in my office. It's fairly small but it will do the job. You're welcome to use that."

"Thank you!" The words enthusiastically rolled off my tongue.

"Anytime sweetheart. You've been doing such a good job here lately. Any troubles?"

I sucked in a breath and shrugged. "Well it's been a long two months since I started, but for the most part I'm okay."

"Two months?" She furrowed her brow," Really? Hmm. Time goes by fast, doesn't it?"

I pursed my lips for a moment, remembering how two months ago I had just arrived home from the best summer of my life. Two months ago I was miserable. Two months ago I was love sick. Two months ago I was lost.

"I can't believe it either."

Patricia sucked in a breath. "Well, you've been doing a fine job and I wouldn't be surprised it we promote you sooner or later," She winked.

I was suddenly excited. "Really? Is that even..... possible?"

She shrugged. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Well, I mean, my mother is the firm owner and I'm sort of just a-"

She shook her head. "We're all a team here. And sooner or later you will not be an intern here and we'll have to pay you."

"Well I can't wait for that day."

Mrs. Larken laughed and patted my shoulder. We parted ways and I headed towards her office. I quickly copied the papers and rushed them back to my mother's office.

"Mom," I looked through the door. "I have these papers."

She took a sip of her coffee. "Place them on my desk, please." I set them down where she told me to and waited patiently in front of her. She raised an eyebrow and sucked in a breath. "What?"

"You allowed me to have a half-day today."

I sucked in a breath and her shoulders fell. "Oh, yes. I did. Okay. Well you're free to go."

I nodded my head. "Thank you. I'll see you later."

Before I could exit her room, she said, "Oh wait, Carson."

I turned around and she sucked in a breath, standing up and smoothing her skirt. "I suppose you're going to be with Rodney Asbern."

I nodded my head, swallowing the knot in my throat. "Yes. I was planning to."

My mother let out a long, exasperated and exaggerated sigh. "Dear, it's nice that you've taken a liking to Rodney, but I was hoping that you would give Marcus a chance. He is the more successful one."

I closed my eyes, hoping to cal myself down. Fucking bitch.

"Mother," I said sternly. "Rodney and I are simply friends. That's it. And Marcus is busy with school and to be completely honest I don't fancy him at all."

I walked out of her office before she could start yelling at me. I shook my head as I walked over to my cubicle and grabbed my bag and jacket. I muttered cusses as I did so and began to walk outside.

Rod was sitting there on the curb, chewing on a tooth pick and looking out at the cars passing by. When he heard my heels clicking on the pavement he looked up, his crooked smile that always reminded me of someone I wish I could forget tugged on the corner of his lip.

He stood up, brushing off his black jeans in the process.

"Happy birthday!" He cheered and engulfed me in a hug.

I grabbed the tooth pick out of his mouth and flicked it onto the ground. "You're going to end up swallowing that one day."

"You know it's a habit of mine. I can't break it."

I rolled my eyes and walked towards his car.

"So, how has your twentieth birthday been so far?"

I shrugged and grabbed the handle of the passenger side of his car door. "Pretty shitty. Huge murder case at the firm that everyones freaking out about."

Rod's eyes lit up. He loved this shit; all about the murders and crime stories I came back with to report them to him. He practically got high off of it.

"Tell me please."

We hopped into his car, but of course, before starting it Rod pulled out a cigarette and lighted it quickly. He let out a breath of smoke and then grinned at me.

"Well, unfortunately the guy who everyone thinks committed the murder is our client."

Rod pulled out onto the parking lot and started down the road. "Ouch. Do you think he did it?"

I nodded my head. "Oh man, no doubt about it. He so shot his wife and their gardener. The two were probably having an affair. Plus. apparently, the guy has a bunch of guns and shit in his house because he's a professional hunter."

"He did it." Rod nodded his head.

"I know!"

We were quiet for a moment, listening to the static, shit radio station. I gazed out the window, my hair blowing wildly, but I could care less. I was just glad to be out of work. "'So where are you taking me tonight?" I asked.

Rod opened his mouth, but was instantly cut of the minute two words spilled out of my mouth without my control.

"Holy shit!" I screamed, attacking the radio and making it louder. The static only got louder. "Shit Rod, can't you get a decent station in this damn car?"

"Sorry! What's the problem?"

I played around with the channels until I got the clearest station. I made it louder and stared for a moment, my mouth opened.

"I've never been the best with my mouth
Try to say smart, but the dumb comes out
Maybe, I'm shy, I drive an old car,
Maybe, I'm amazed that it got this far
And I got my standbys waiting on the line
But the hardest part is knowing that it won't be her this time
"

"They're on the radio! They're on the fucking radio!" I bounced in my seat, screaming.

Rod gave me an amused look. "The Maine? I'm assuming."

"Yes!"

In the past two months I had grown close with Rodney- he was like a brother to me. So naturally, I told him everything that happened to me this summer. Including everything with John.

John.

I listened to his voice- his sober one that is. His drunk voice-mails settled down quite a bit. I only got one every two weeks or so. It pained me to listen to them, but at the same time it was sort of a relief. I needed to hear him for some reason.

But now, listening to him fully functional was something I hadn't heard in two whole fucking months.

I had video chatted and talked on the phone without the other guys. We didn't have any type of problem connecting at all. I looked forward to talking to them though. They even met Rod while video chatting once.

The song ended and I shook my head. The stupid smile couldn't fade from my face. "Oh my god." I laughed and sucked in a breath. "They were on the radio."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Well somebody looks lovely." Rod grinned, looping his arm through mine. "It took you long enough."

I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in the side. "Tell me where we are going."

"That would obviously ruin it." He smirked and we once again got into his car. "I have to say- it's nice to see you not all prim and proper."

I chuckled. "It feels good not to be prim and proper."

"Tell me about it. I hate it when my dad makes me go to those fucking events and parties with him."

I examined my outfit carefully. I wore a black Pink Floyd t-shit along with red and black striped shorts. Underneath my shorts I wore black striped stocking and matched with heels. I grinned as I noticed Rod staring at me.

"In fact, you look like a whore."

"Hey." I cocked an eyebrow.

He chuckled. "Don't worry. I like it." He winked and I rolled my eyes.

We arrived at a small venue of some sort and I already knew I would like what the night held. Before I could ask any more questions to Rod my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket and said, "Hello?"

"CARSON!" Cheers erupted on the phone.

I laughed and bit my lip as each one grabbed the phone from the other trying to wish me a happy birthday. There was only one voice missing.

"Thank you guys." I smiled.

"Are you doing anything tonight for your special day?" Pat asked, his voice getting octaves higher as he continued talking.

"Yeah. Rod took me to this venue. He refuses to tell me what we're dong." I grimaced, glancing over at him.

They all fell silent and for a second I thought the phone was have lost connection. "Guys?" I asked and heard whispered in the background. "You there?"

"Yes! Sorry about that!" Kennedy exclaimed.

"So you and Rod......" I heard Garrett's voice trail off and that's when I knew why they went quiet seconds before.

I swallowed hard. "Friends," I hissed, walking away from him. "we're friends you guys."

"It doesn't matter of anything... it's just..." Jared didn't finish.

We were all thinking the same thing, but everyone refused to say it.

Our phone call finished up minutes later and I apologized to Rod. We walked inside and I was insanely familiar without the tune playing. I couldn't put put my finger on it, but I knew it. I followed Rod through the crowd, trying to concentrate on his shaggy brown hair so I wouldn't get lost and the music playing. I knew it. I knew this song. I knew this voice.

Rod and I finally found a spot by the bar and we got our drinks of course without being carded. We carefully sipped them and I grinned up at him.

"Thank you for taking me."

He shrugged. "What are friends for?"

It confused me; Rod and I hung out all the time-literally every day. The only friend of his I had ever met was the one he shares his apartment with. It was as if he didn't have really any friends, and I hated saying that- I truly did.

But my thoughts were cut off when I heard the musician on stage say his farewell.

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I hope you enjoyed your time." The crowd cheered and I tried to peer above their heads to see the stage. No luck.

"Once again, I'm Austin Gibbs."
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit!
sdjfkdagjkhfceiuhslfhasjcsbdflhgasjglgasl
YES THIS IS HAPPENING.

Anyway, I hope this isn't too boring because the guys aren't involved that much.
I promise that some crazy stuff will be going down soon.
And also I'm sorry about the jump in time. I hope this isn't too confusing.

ALSO,
If you haven't noticed, the chapter titles are names of The Maine songs and I think I've run out of them....... like this chapter is called In Darkness and In Light and that's not a The Maine song. So I don't know what I'm going to do now.
I've actually been fretting this day for awhile now -__- It has finally come.