Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

Time

The next morning I sat at Carter's kitchen table drinking a nice cup of coffee all while silently panicking to myself. I tried to read the newspaper in hopes to calm myself, but just as expected, I had no luck. Rod was sleeping and was most likely going to for the next day or two thanks to the coffee he drank yesterday.

The problem was that I couldn't go out without Rod. I couldn't just leave him here alone. Carter was at school, so we had the apartment to ourselves- which was nice. But knowing Rod and that shit load of coffee today would not be eventful.

Despite this, my mind was racing. What if John was next door right this second? What if I walked outside later, and wham! There he is outside completely shirtless and leaving me in a complete daze.

I hated thinking about it because I knew he wasn't the reason why I came back to Arizona. And quite frankly, I had no idea how I felt about John. I felt as if he was outside, shirtless, I would probably freeze up and act like an awkward bitch. The thought was horrible and disgusting to me. My stomach churned and my heart throbbed at the thought that we could never be ourselves again around each other. We couldn't even go back to the fighting. We would just be two strangers saying "Hello" and talking about the weather. And to me, that was far worse than our bickering.

Rod's groggy voice startled me as he walked into the kitchen. "Morning."

I jumped slightly then sucked in a breath. "Jesus! Way to scare the shit out of me."

He chuckled softly, making his way over to the coffee pot, inhaling the smell and smiling to himself. "Mmm," He let out, reaching for a mug. "What? Were you in deep thought?"

I eyed him carefully as he poured himself a cup of the brew. "Something like that...." I muttered, now more concentrated on what was in his hand. "Are you sure you should be drinking more coffee? How were you even able to sleep? I expected you'd be out all day."

"Me? Are you kidding!" He took a sip. "I would never miss a day of touring the lovely town of Tempe! And yeah, I probably shouldn't be drinking all this. I'll get stains on my teeth or some shit- but hell, I've got so many damn good looks that I doubt a couple flaws will hurt. Also, you have a lot of questions."

"You didn't answer one."

He rolled his eyes and threw his head up. "You will, for sure, be the death of me." He shook his head. "I went to bed early. Happy? I didn't stay up fretting all night."

"Well at least one of us is worrying."

He shrugged. "Hey, I did all the worrying before we left, remember? Now it's your turn, you impulsive bitch."

I walked out of the kitchen, laughing lightly despite the fact I was hoping to ignore him. I turned around before heading off to my room to get changed. "We have to find jobs today, and maybe even apartment searching."

Rod shrugged. "I was picking your brother's brain last night, and it turns out this complex is in our price range."

My stomach dropped.

"And it just so happens the apartment three doors down is empty! Look at that!"

I shook my head stiffly. "We are not moving here."

Rod let out a groan. "Get over it, Carson! This place is pretty fucking nice and is pretty cheap. I mean hell, we can pay the first three months rent on the money we have now. And I'm sure that apartment will go fast."

"You're right, but I just don't think-"

"Shut up!" He yelled, stomping towards me. "What happened to that badass, Carson you used to tell me about? I mean, where the fuck did the Carson that I first met go? Even back in Nevada-when you were fucking miserable- you were still a hard-ass that didn't care what anyone thought of her. Just because were back here, with John, doesn't mean a thing. Don't let him ruin this for you. It's your life- don't let him rule it!"

Biting my lip and staring at the blue carpet beneath my feet, my ashamed expression was evident. Rod was right. I was back to where I belonged, but there was John, hovering over me at all time.

"Okay," I nodded my head. "I won't."

Rod slung an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his chest, kissing the top of my head. "There ya go, girl. Don't worry about him."

I nodded limply one more time before walking away from him. "I'm going to get changed. You should too. Then we'll go out, okay?"

"Sounds good."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You know," Rod laughed and gave me a wide smile as we cruised down the road with windows wide open, letting the cool air rush at us. "I was sort of afraid this place was going to be a shit hole."

"I'm assuming you think that is not the case?"

"Definitively not! I mean, the open space kind of scares me- but in a good way!"

I let out a left dry laugh, then sucked in a deep breath. "Are you ready to meet my Aunt?"

"The famous Aunt Sara?! Of course I am!"

I pulled into the all too familiar driveway. "Well prepare yourself because here we are."

Rod and I emerged from his car and walked up to the front door. I could barely hold in the smile ready to explode onto the scene. I knocked on the door steadily, my stomach constantly flipping and expanding. Here we go.

The door opened, but Aunt Sara wasn't the one to answer. Instead, Lea O'Callaghan stood at the door, a look of shock, confusion, and something else all mixed into one of her face. She furrowed her brow and her shoulders fell from their original upright positioning.

"Carson?"

"Mrs. O'Callaghan!" I perked up although my stomach dropped completely out of my body. Here I was, a girl who completely left town on one notion and ripped her son's heart out with no effort. And above all, I didn't even say goodbye to her!

It wasn't until this very moment that I realized how horrible it was of me to just come back unannounced. There are people who probably have a problem with me. Lea O'Callaghan being a large factor in that. I couldn't help, but think about Taylor either. We never talked, although we promised too. I only called Sara when I was having a crisis.

I was frozen after that up until the point where I felt Rod's hand on the small of my back pushing me forward slightly. It broke my trance and I exhaled an exhausted breath.

"Carson!I-" She was speechless and I couldn't blame here. "I thought you were in Nevada."

I couldn't help but notice her eyeing Rod curiously.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and sucked in a large breath. I shrugged. "I left!" I breathed out.

She breathed out, shaking her head as a warm smile filtered onto her lips. "Well, come here!" She engulfed me in a tight hug, which I gladly returned.

We broke the hug after several moments and she smiled down at me with comfort. Her eyes flickered over to Rod. "I'm Lea, a friend of Carson's aunt."

And my ex-boyfriend's mother.....

"Nice to meet you! A family friend of Carson's. She convinced me to come down here with me." Rod shook her hand eagerly. I'm sure he knew who she was.

"A friend." I nodded my head, reassuring her. For whatever reason, her thinking I had a boyfriend bothered me.

"It's lovely to meet you," She smiled once again, then turned to me. "Sara's in the backyard. I'll go get her. You two can wait in the kitchen. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic to see you."

Rod and I waited in the kitchen. I tapped my fingers along the island's counter, remembering everything that happened at this very spot this summer. Right here I reconnected with Carter, I screamed at John and told him that I hated him, I sat next to John and realized I wanted to loose it to him, and of course, right in this very spot my parents informed me I would be coming home.

Absentmindedly, I strolled into the living room and eyed the couch and two love chairs. I remembered playing truth or dare with Tara and her two friends who I'm sure are prostitutes by now. I remember watching John make out with Tara and feeling sick to my stomach. I remember Garrett noticing and calling me out on it. I remember making out with Kennedy on the couch and seeing John's face afterward.

I walked back into the foyer and thought about the numerous amount of times I opened the door and found John's tall, lanky body behind it, smirking down at me. I thought of his face when I walked out wearing the dress I wore to his cousin's wedding. I remember groaning when I opened the door the time he and Garrett came over and wanted to hang out.

And then I thought back even more. I remembered walking into this foyer when I was so young with Carter. I remember Uncle Rich attempting to teach me guitar on the couch in the living room. I remember eating Fruit Loops with him at the island in the kitchen. Every little detail was suddenly so clear to me.

So when Aunt Sara emerged from the back door wearing her gardening gloves although it was fucking winter and her shocked expression on her face I ran over to her and threw my arms around her so tightly. I squeezed, thinking that she would try to get away from me and as I did so, tears fell from my eyes. I cried silently and Sara hushed me and told me everything was going to be okay. And she caressed the back of my head the way she always used to when I was a kid.

And then she started to cry and the whole thing would have made me want to throw up out of disgust if it were in a movie or something, but right now, god right now this was the only thing I needed or wanted. I barely wanted John. I never wanted my parents. Fuck, right now I didn't even want Rod. All I wanted was the only two people who cared about me since I was little. And unfortunately one of them couldn't be here, but thank fucking god the other one was.

"Honey," She muttered quietly between tears.

I sniffled and buried my head in the croon of her neck and shoulder. "I'm so sorry I left."

She shook her head 'No' and rubbed circles into my back with her hand. She pulled away, wiping away her tears and a small smile placed on her lips. "Sometimes doing the wrong thing is the right thing. Inevitably, you realize the right thing in the process."

I hugged her again and shook my body. "I'm sorry for barely calling."

She kissed the top of my head. "You had to do your own thing. You think I called my mother when I moved out and went to college?"

And in that second, if it was possible, I loved her even more. Because in the end, my Aunt Sara was my mother. I don't give a fuck is she didn't push me out of her vagina, she's the only mom I've ever had.

I let out a light laugh and sniffled once more, wiping my eyes all while doing so. "I made a mistake." I muttered.

She cocked an eyebrow and smirked. "Come on darling, do I really have to give the "nobody's perfect" speech? You never had the opportunity to go out and make a decision yourself, and all in all you made the logical one. Just sometimes, the logical one isn't the best. I think everyone makes that mistake."

"I missed you so much."

She glowed as she smiled. "I missed you so much."

We embraced one more time before we pulled away laughing and I introduced her to Rod. "This is Rod."

"Nice to meet you Rod," She smiled. "Are you two...?"

"No!" We both said together, laughing in the process.

Sara peaked over at Lea, a small smirk on her lips and winked. Lea rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Oh boy.

Rod and I filled Sara and Lea in on everything: we were living with Carter for the time being, most likely buying the apartment in the same complex, looking for jobs and possibly applying for the University.

Sara nodded her head and sucked in a breath. "Look, Carson. I know you said you didn't want to work at the record store your whole life- and believe me- I fully understand that. But, Taylor is leaving soon."

"What? Why?"

"She's graduating in the spring and then moving into Phoenix to start working at a very prestigious clinic. She can't manage the store anymore and I'm not going to hold her back. She's always wanted to be a doctor, you know."

I nodded my head, sucking in a breath. "Yeah, I know."

"I've actually down some major reconstruction down at the store the past few months.-"

Lea cut Sara off, gushing, "It's wonderful down there! She installed several tables and a coffee bar where obviously you can get coffee and some snacks and all that. And it's sort of like a Star Bucks, but it offers better music, equipment and guitar lessens."

"Oh my god," I looked up at Sara, amazed. "When did all this come about."

She shrugged. "I've been planning it forever, but I needed to get state approval to expand and I don't know- government, property stuff."

"It's so great, Carson. Everyone goes there. She's bringing in a lot of-"

"Lea!" Sara chuckled and shook her head. "But well, yeah, the store is a lot more popular and successful now and I have a decision to make."

"What decision?" I asked.

She sucked in a steady breath and her shoulders tensed. "I'm getting at the age that I promised myself a long time ago that I would retire at. And it just so happens I have enough money to. So, I can either not retire and still run the store or retire and sell the store. I want to retire, Carson, but that store is the only thing left of your Uncle Rich. It was his pride and glory and I can't find it in my heart to sell it, but I'm just- I don't know if I can handle it anymore. Especially now that it's so busy."

I licked my lips hastily, my stomach flipping inside of me.

"You don't have to take this offer, remember that," She began. "I would like for you to be the new owner of the store. Not an employee or the manager. The owner."

Swallowing hard and the inhaling a sharp breath I widened my eyes. "Wow."

"You don't have to do this and please, do not feel obligated."

"No," I shook my head. "owning the store is like.... my dream. But don't you think I'm too young? I'm only twenty."

Sara shrugged. "I'll always be here to help. Plus, since the income has completely risen I've been able to hire more employees and everyone can help you out if you need it. You know that store better than most people."

I let out a breath. "I can't believe this."

I glanced over at Rod who was smiling wildly. This was ridiculous. A twenty year old owning her own, small business. It was complete and utter crap and doomed to fail. But at the same time I looked around the table and I was fine. I had help if I needed it.

"Ok," I smiled, nodding my head. "I'll do it."
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY THIS IS KIND OF SHORT, BUT I'M STARTING ANOTHER CHAPTER RIGHT THIS SECOND SO HOLD ONTO YOUR SOCKS BECAUSE STUFF IS COMING AND WHEN I SAY STUFF I MEAN SOME SERIOUS SHIT IS GOING DOWN.

Also, I feel terrible for not mentioning this previously, but a couple chapters ago I broke 500 comments and holy mother I love you guys so much. I never expected any of this for this fic and all your support is so wonderful and I read every single one of your comments and I appreciate all of you.

Another thing, I started this story exactly a year ago last Thursday (I forgot to mention in the last chapter I posted), so this is the longest fic I've EVER written and I really can't believe it's been a year. It sorta blows my mind to be honest.

THANK YOU ALL!