Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

One Pack Of Smokes

"What a day," I laughed, dropping several papers and folders, along with my keys on the desk. I plopped down into my desk's seat and let out a heavy sigh.

"It's nine in the morning." Rod pointed out with food in his mouth.

"Exactly."

He rolled his eyes, suppressing a smile and turned back to the newspaper. For the rest of the morning and as more employees began to arrive, I sorted through papers and other work while Rod helped out with the cash register. Since it was a Saturday morning, the place seemed to be quite busy. Traffic flowed in and out of the store consistently throughout the day.

Around one o'clock, I sat behind the counter with Rod and Taylor, aimlessly flipping through magazines while on hold on the phone with some company that sells how-to-play books. The store needed about thirty copies, and for whatever reason they were in high demand. This normally wouldn't be that much of a problem, but right now I had been on hold for a half hour.

Taylor and Rod didn't look at each other or even utter out a single phrase. In fact, they stayed a distance away. I didn't mention anything on account for two reasons. One being that I had other business things to worry about. And two, I really just didn't want to get involved and I'm sure they didn't want me to either.

"This is bullshit." I breathed out, shaking my head.

Right then, the bells at the front door chimed. When I looked up a smile formed across my lips to find Kennedy and Garrett strutting into the store. Automatically, they leaned against the counter and striked up a conversation.

"Party tonight." Kennedy tapped on the table, raising his eyebrows.

My shoulders fell and I groaned lightly, "I don't know, guys...."

"Aw, come on." Gare grinned, "Austin's on tour and John has a fancy date with Mel. No drama."

I rubbed my temple, shaking my head, "I'm so exhausted. I really just can't."

Taylor shrugged, "I'll come."

Rod's head then shot up, looking at Taylor quickly, then back at the guys. "I'll be there."

Taylor's eyes shot over to Rod, then she exhaled. "I'll bring Carter."

"And I'll bring my girlfriend."

Kennedy raised an eyebrow, "You have a girlfriend?"

"I can get one by tonight."

The guys chuckled, but Taylor remained silent. She stood up straight for a moment, looking down at her feet. She then turned and walked into the back office. I glared at Rod and as a response he simply said, "What?"

"Whatever."

"You're going to be missing out, Carson." Kenny gave me a pout.

I tapped the top of his head lightly, smiling sweetly, "I'll miss you, but a movie night on the couch sounds a lot more appealing than going out."

"Aren't you on the phone?" Rod pointed to the telephone in my hand.

I jumped up, "Oh shit!" I quickly snapped the phone up to my hear, "Hello? Hello?" My shoulder slumped over, "Still on hold."

"Alright, well we gotta get going. Practice. We're going on tour again soon, you know." Garrett said, his eyes falling on me for some reason.

"Oh yeah?" I swallowed.

"Yep."

"Okay."

"Okay."

Garrett raised an eyebrow, then bowed out with Kenny and the two of them exited the store. I dropped down onto the stool behind me. I ran a hand through my hair and pursed my lips. My eyes wandered to Rod next to me, sorting through the register.

"He's going to choose me, right?"

Rod looked up for a moment, not at me, but towards the racks of vinyl across from us. He stared at it for a bit, holding some cash in his hands. His shoulders fell, but he took in a heavy breath. When he looked over at me, he saw me.

"Why wouldn't he choose you?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, my fingers twirling tin the phone cord. I looked at the line for the coffee bar on the other side of the shop. Sighing, I shrugged and looked at Rod. "I'm not exactly the best person around. And I don't know, it's taken him two days to do anything and you hear heard Kenny- he's going on a date with Mel tonight."

"Most likely to break up with her."

"They're engaged though."

"He's only known her for like, five months though."

I didn't respond this time. John had only known me for three months before he decided he loved me. I tapped my fingers along the glass counter anxiously, my eyes scanning the store as I bit the inside of my cheek. I knew that I just needed to relax. I only needed to let John have a couple things to sort things out. I knew this, yet something tugged on my stomach and heart telling me that something was off. Something was going to go horribly wrong.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I got home fairly late.

Upon entering my apartment, my various books and business papers fell out of my arms and onto the floor. Rolling my eyes, I picked them up steadily and then placed them on the kitchen counter.

The day had been exhausted so naturally, by the time I was showered and in sweats I was just about ready to pass out. I lied down on the couch and started to watch "The Breakfast Club." About a half hour into it, I fell asleep.

That didn't last though.

An anxious and consistent knock on the front door was what woke me up. I jumped up from my seat and without thinking twice-I mean hey, it could be a cannibal at the door-I pulled open the door with a heavy breath.

John stood there completely soaked and shirtless, panting like an idiot.

"Thank God," He breathed out, "thank fucking God you didn't go to that party."

I looked at him with wide eyes, "Uh, what is going on? Are you okay? Why are you wet?"

His chest heaved in and out, "I'm such an idiot." He shook his head.

I shrugged, "I can't really argue with that, now can I?"

I think he hadn't even heard me, "I really need your help."

"Clearly," I commented, "What's going on?"

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the apartment. I closed the door behind me before he dragged me down the hallway and into his apartment. Right away, I noticed the pungent lavender smell throughout the apartment. Then, I heard the sound of popping and water running. "What the-"

He pulled me into the kitchen and then I seemed to figure it out.

I exploded with laughter, placing a hand over my mouth and peering up at John. He wasn't laughing.

The kitchen was covered in bubbles and water was flowing everywhere. The carpeting outside of the kitchen was beginning to get soaked as well, and upon stepping on it, water sizzled out. Bubbles flew into the air and popped constantly. I looked up at the ceiling to discover the fan was on high power, passing by at a rapid pace.

"I thought putting the fan on would help." John explained.

"Ah," I nodded my head, my smile never diminishing. "Care to explain what happened?"

He swallowed hard and ran a hand through his wet, messy hair. "Well, I sort of ran out of that stuff-the dish-washing detergent stuff-so I figured I could just use like, hand soap. And then I ran out of hand soap, so I used some of the shower body soap. And...yeah..."

"You're the only one living here. Did you really even need to use the dish-washer."

He sucked in a sharp breath, "I had company over last night."

"I see."

He turned to me, "So how do we stop this?"

I reached down, placing one hand on John's shoulder for balance as I took off each off my blue socks. I chucked them into the living room and rolled up my sweater's sleeves. Taking a step into the kitchen, I nearly slipped on the soapy floor.

John chuckled softly, and grabbed my elbow, "Whoa there."

I smiled lightly, then took another step forward closer to the dish-washer. "Well," I began, watching as more water and bubbles erupted from the machine. "I'm no dish washing or washer expert, but- actually I really have no idea how to stop this."

John's shoulders fell, but his lips tugged upward, "Fantastic."

"It is, isn't it? I'm sure if you just wait until the machine runs it course, you'll be fine. How long ago did you put it on?"

"About ten minutes ago."

"How did you not notice?"

"I fell asleep on the couch."

I scoffed, "Of course you did." I turned to face him, but within the process, the watery surface underneath caught the best of me and I ended up on the floor, bubbles finding their way into my mouth. I coughed and gagged.

Now John was laughing, "Oh Jeeze," He took a step forward and held out his hand for me. I smirked, then grabbed his hand, jerked it lightly, then let go. "Hey!" He called out, then fell next to me. After letting out an "oof," he rolled onto his side, groaning.

"Not so funny now, is it?" I snickered.

He suppressed a smile and sat up slowly. As he tried to stand up, he only slipped once again and fell on his butt. "Shit!" He laughed.

I raised my eyebrows, "Aren't you smooth?"

He pointed a finger at me, "Shut your mouth."

I stuck my tongue out, then grabbed onto the refrigerator behind me. I hoisted myself back up onto my two feet. "Where are your towels?"

"Down the hall." I watched as he grabbed onto the counter and pulled himself up as well. "This is extremely dangerous."

"Tell me about it."

The dish washer's moaning came to a halt and the waterfall erupting from it seized. Finally, the room was silent and the remaining few bubbles floating effortlessly in the air popped and disintegrated. The water beneath our feet swished and the bubbles on the ground began to become one with the substance. After several moments, everything became still. Everything was quiet.

My eyes went from scanning the ground beneath us, to John, who stood across from me leaning against the counter. He watched me and he bit his lip lightly.

"I love you," He exhaled.

I looked at him and words stacked upon one another in my head. There were so many things I wanted to say to him. So many words. But they could come out. They refused to be spoken.

"I'm so in love with you that living without you isn't even an option. I can't be without you, Carson."

I took a step forward and place two hands on both on John's bare shoulders. He skin blazed underneath mine. I looked carefully at him, then pulled him forward unthinking of the wet floor underneath us.

We fell down on the tile again, which just as it did before, hurt like a bitch. We didn't care though. Suds were everywhere- in our hair, over his chest, on my arms. It didn't matter. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his sweet lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhhh la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

:)