Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

Stay Up, Get Down

"No," John groaned out, rolling over onto his back. "Don't put clothes back on. Please don't clothe yourself. Please. Babe, please."

I looked at him with an amused expression. I held my shirt in my hand, standing there with only a pair of blue panties on. John laid on the bed, a hand extended towards me, yet he was too lazy to get up.

"I have to get to the store."

"Noooo!" He whined out, kicking his foot. "I like seeing you naked."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help letting a small giggle out. I turned around, my back now facing him as I pulled to shirt over my bare skin. I then reached onto the floor and picked up my jeans, taking a seat on John's bed and sliding them back on. My pants weren't even on yet when I let out a loud gasp as John grabbed my sides and pulled me into the center of the bed. Naturally, my pants fell off and John hovered over me, grinning.

"Stay." He commanded.

"I can't." I jutted out my bottom lip.

John, of course, took this as an opportunity and plop his mouth down on mine and bit my lower lip. Beneath his lips, I screeched softly. He quickly retorted when I mumbled, "Ow!"

He placed a hand on my cheek, "Sorry my love. I couldn't resist."

Rolling my eyes, I pushed him off me and got off the bed. "I'm going to have to go back to my apartment before I leave. I can't walk into work with no bra on and since for some mysterious reason the one I wore here last night has seemed to vanish." I shot John a look.

He smirked, "Yeah. Weird, right?" Finally, he got off the bed and stretched out his arms. "But you know, I would stop by the store a whole lot more often if you didn't wear a bra." He winked.

I tugged on my jeans, inhaling a sharp breath. "I'm sure a lot more customers would come too." This time I was the one to wink and John's grin fell.

"No," He rushed over to me, placing his hands on my hips, "I'm the only one allowed to look at you without a bra on."

"Well aren't you lucky?"

"I'm extremely lucky."

He leaned in, expecting a kiss, but instead I reached up and ruffled his hair, then darted out of his room. "I'll see you later!" I called before leaving the apartment.

I walked down the hallway with a skip. I had never experienced so much joy within three days in my entire life. Simple things like holding hands and lying together made my heart swell up with joy. The Maine didn't know yet; we were going to tell them tonight. It was sort of like our own little paradise.

As I slowly opened the front door of our apartment, I knew to keep quiet. Rod was most likely getting ready to head to the store, and due to that he probably had no idea that I spent the night at John's. He was still uncomfortable with the topic and I guess I understood why. At the same time, though, I was beyond annoyed with the kid. The thing is, Rod doesn't know John. He's only known the John that I spent some many hours thinking about and spiraling into a misery due to his absence. Rod saw me go downhill, and although I've worked my way up he knows I can fall at any moment. My weight is depending on John's actions.

And as I thought about this while I slipped into my bedroom, I realized Rod was right to be scared. I was scared too. I mean, the separation between John really did a number on me. In Nevada I was a wreck. I couldn't function. But the thought of how happy I was now gave me hope. Still, something horrid lingered in the back of my mind. A thought that if John were to go, I'd be lost.

I hated the thought so terribly it made me sick. I was never this girl. I was an independent bitch and I loved being her. It's not that I was reliant on John but I still felt so in love with him that I guess I was sort of blinded by that. Maybe I only felt this way because of us reuniting. I couldn't help thinking that John felt the same way. If he did, then maybe all of this wouldn't seem so horrible to me. Maybe this was normal.

I knew it wasn't, though.

I could get myself out of this phase. I knew that very well. The real challenge was determining whether or not I wanted to.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Where are we going tonight?" Rod asked me, a slight irritation to his voice. He yawned as I opened the front door and we piled into the apartment.

It had been a long day at work and the two of us were ready to pass out. Still, it was only six o'clock and I had already promised John that I would go to Kennedy's house tonight to make the announcement. If that's, you know, what one would call it.

"Kenny's." I muttered, dropping all my weight onto the couch. "We don't have to leave for another two hours though."

Rod rubbed his eyes and sat next to me, leaning his head on my shoulder. "Is Taylor going to be there?"

As he peered up at me, I recognized the spark in his eyes. It was his last hope. He wanted her badly. Although I truly didn't know whether Taylor would make an appearance, I nodded my head. "Probably."

"I know I shouldn't like her, you know." Rod let out a heavy breath. "I know she has a boyfriend and I know she's moving away, but I can't help it."

I wish he would listen to himself for once. I couldn't help that I loved John either. I fell for his cocky attitude and the bubbles he caused in my stomach. Rod didn't realize that. He only saw John for the guy that hurt me.

I wrapped an arm around Rod's shoulders and lightly kissed him on the top of his head. "I know."

He then sat up, freeing himself from my embrace. He then left the room to go take a shower and I went into my room to catch up on an hour of sleep.

About two hours later, the both of us were ready to head up. Rod wore plain jeans with a black v-neck. I always smiled seeing him wear regular clothing. When I first met him and throughout our time spent in Nevada, he was always wearing things like khakis and collared shirts around his and my family. It was nice to him him wearing something he looked comfortable in.

I wore plain black jeans and a white and black shirt with an Aztec pattern on it. I couldn't help smiling deviously at jaw string that tied it tighter towards the bottom. As I tied it, the shirt moved up, causing not only my lower torso to be exposed, but my newly tanned skin. John would like it.

We drove to Kenny's in silence. I knew that John must have left before us because his van was out of it's regular parking spot. Rod kept to himself, checking his phone and looking out the window consecutively. I hum along peacefully to the music playing as I drove, letting the wind from the window caused my wavy hair to blow around. It felt nice. It felt like summer again.

It was spring now. Which only got me thinking about this time last year. I was close to graduating. Probably just about ready to tell my parents about not going to college. I think this was around the same time I punched that girl in the face too. Wow. A difference a year can make.

Kennedy's house had about five cars parked outside, which surprised me. I hadn't thought that this was going to be much of a get together. I had also noticed that John's van was absent alongside the other cars. I ignored this, though, figuring it wasn't much of anything. As Rod and I stepped out of the car and pulled up to the front door, another car pulled up.

The one and only Austin Gibbs stepped out of the car, flicking a cigarette to the ground and stepping on it.

I hadn't seen Austin since that pleasant little camping trip. The whole thing seems like it happened a long time ago. The last time I saw his face was when his eyes light up as he caught the connection between John and I, grinning and then exiting the tent. I didn't really know how to feel about Austin now. What was I suppose to say to him?

Like an idiot, I stood there, dumbfounded. He looked up, and look off his sunglasses. He squinted his eyes for a moment and then gave Rod and I an excited, open-mouthed smile. "Hey!"

He ran up to us, clapping Rod on the back and then smirking at me. "Haven't seen you guys in awhile?"

I sort of hated Austin in that moment. I mean, I hadn't seen him forever. He disappeared. Which really only tells me he never actually had any type of feelings toward me. Which was stupid, I know. I shouldn't be mad because I hadn't had feelings toward him either. I couldn't help wondering that if I had feelings toward him how I would be crushed if he just took off like that. And, Austin sort of gave me decent advice when it came to John. He was the one who actually told me that John might feel something towards me in the first place. I honestly didn't even know what to make of the guy.

He raised his eyebrows at me, "You're looking fine, Carson. How've you been?"

I shrugged, pressing my lips together. "Good."

I wanted to turn around but I knew the whole thing would be uncalled for. Reluctantly, I asked, "And how are you?"

"Great! Let's get on inside!"

He ushered Rod and I in. After that, I made a pact with myself to stay clear of Austin Gibbs for the rest of the night.

I found myself in the kitchen, talking to Garrett for about a hour. He continuously filled up my cup with beer and my head started to get cloudy. I leaned against the counter, one hand tightly gripped against the marble. When Kennedy strolled into the kitchen, I called out his name joyfully, "Ken, is this your house?!"

His eyes lit up instantly and took a step toward me, "I'm renting it out with a couple friends. Like it?"

I glanced around despite already knowing my answer. I knew the liquor was getting to my head. I could feel my poisoned veins pulsing and my head buzzing soothingly. I took one sip and nodded my head, "Yeah! It's great! Love it!"

Kenny placed a wrapped an arm around my shoulders, "Good! If you need to crash here tonight, you're more than welcome."

I made a face, "And why would I do that?"

He laughed, "Rod's already shit faced and you're not looking totally there, if you know what I mean."

I ruffled his hair, "Oh, well thank you for the offer." I kissed him on the cheek, then scrunched my eyebrows. "Where's John?"

Garrett shrugged, taking a sip from his red cup. "No idea. He's an hour late."

Just then, John walked into the front door hollering, "The King is here!"

I peeked out into the hallway to find John holding two cases of beer in both of his hands. He held them up high and raised his head. Before walking into the kitchen, he said hello to a few familiar faces. He approached Kennedy and placed the cases on the counter next to me. "Sorry I'm late. My mom needed some help around the house and I got caught up."

"No problem. Open those beers, though." Kennedy ordered and John did as told.

Much to our fortune, Garrett and Kenny left the room, leaving John and I alone. As he opened the cases, he grinned at me.

"Hi, baby." He whispered, leaning in.

I quickly pecked him on the lips, smiling. He made a face as I pulled away, "Someone's been drinking, eh?"

I shrugged, "Guilty."

Another hour passed, and I wasn't the mess anymore.

John was hollering and being a total drunk dick. I was irritated, to say at the least. The guys knew he had broke things off with Mel, but had no idea about John and I. Constantly, I was pushing his hands off of me and walking away from the guy.

I didn't even have Taylor. She was a no show. Sometimes, I felt my only hope was to go over and talk to Austin. But he was nowhere to be found. Rod was in the process of passing out the couch.

I was miserable.

And then it happened.

John pulled me to the center of the room, simultaneously slurring and shouting, "I have an announcement! Every one shut the fuck up!"

The room quieted down, but there was still a few conversations lingering. "Shut the fuck up!" John repeated again, raising his head into the air and squeezing his eyes shut.

I caught Austin's eyes from the corner of the room. He wasn't smiling or grinning or anything. He was looking at me with knowing eyes. And just from this one look I knew, surprisingly, Austin was not drunk like the rest of his friends.

"Okay, okay. Everyone shut up. I have an announcement." John took hold of my hand. God, this was not the way I wanted things to go.

He turned to me, looking me dead in the eyes and then slurring the words, "I loveeeeeeee youuuu."

And then, he got down on his knee, staring up at me. I froze and felt like I was going to throw up. No, like really, I felt my stomach churning.

"Will you, Carson, marry me?"

Pat squealed in the corner. I shot daggers at John before throwing his hand back at him and storming off.

Well fuck me.