Status: Active :)

We Can't Forget Last Summer

Roses

"How are you possibly going to last three months without humping him? I mean, come on. Let's be honest here- you two are the biggest sex-crazed maniacs I have ever met."

I rolled my eyes as I placed a new set of packaged CDs on the rack. I peered over at Taylor, who stood there with a wicked grin. I shrugged, "Well, we'll just have to make tonight last, won't we?" I winked.

She threw her head back, "Oh goodness."

"Speaking of which," I turned to her, "you need to get Rod out of the apartment tonight so we can-"

She cut me off, "Have sex on every piece of furniture?"

I tried to think of some clever comeback, but nothing stuck with me. I nodded my head and let out a breath, "Just make him busy with something."

"You know I can't do that, Carson."

I groaned, "Please? I know things are weird but please?"

"He's this lovesick puppy around me! I have a boyfriend."

I whispered, "Well maybe you shouldn't have fucked him to begin with? The kid is crazy over you. Lay down some ground rules."

I started towards the back office, Taylor on my heels. "It doesn't even matter. I'm leaving in three months. I'm breaking it off with Carter sooner or later, anyway."

I sat down at my desk in the office. As I searched through the drawers in hopes to find the packaging deals on a new shipment of reeds I printed out yesterday, I said, "Tell him that or break up with Carter now," I stopped myself for a minute, thinking over some things. "You know, you always talk about how horny I am, but I really think it's you whose the girl who can't go three months without a hump."

She scratched the back of her head, "The sad part is that I really can't argue."

Pursing my lips together, I gave Taylor a sympathetic look. She sighed heavily, grabbing her purse off of one of the bookshelves to her left. "I should get going. Are the guys having a goodbye party tonight?"

I shook my head, "Nah, everyone is doing there own thing. John and I are visiting his parents and then-"

She held up a hand, "I know, sweetheart, I know."

I gave her a guilty look with a light laugh. After that, she left me to my work and the wonderful cup of coffee off to the side of me.

The store was really doing great. The cafe constantly had people in there hanging out and doing work. The music side did just as well, if not better, than before. And to top it all off, my workload wasn't horrendous. However, in about a month when it comes time to pay taxes I know I'll be a wreck. Either way, John wouldn't be around to distract me or anything so I think I'll be fine.

Rod finally found a job at a hotel nearby. Somehow he managed to snag the position of a bellhop. His hours are pretty long and we definitively see him a lot less but as far as I know, the pay is great.

After an hour or so of doing heavy paperwork I was interrupted by a light knocking on the office door. Looking up, I made out a face that made my stomach twist and my throat grow tight. The girl with thick, light brown hair outside wave and smiled sheepishly. I got up from behind my desk and walked over to the door, opening it.

Mel anxiously greeted me with a, "Hello!"

My eyes widened, "Oh hi."

She looked around the mess of an office, examining every inch of it. Nodding her head and smiling she looked at me, "Hard at work?"

"Yeah, something like that." I was still staring at her presence in awe. I mean, why the hell was she here? "Would you like to sit?"

"Oh, sure."

She took the seat in front of my desk and I took the one behind it. We sat there uncomfortably for a good fifteen seconds before Mell cleared her throat and scooted to the edge of her seat. "You're probably freaking out right now."

I licked my bottom lip and bit it softly, "A little."

"Don't. I mean, don't think I'm here to yell at you. I'm not. I've been wanting to talk to you for awhile I just didn't know how or what to say."

"I don't really know what to say." I confessed.

"Then I'll talk," she began, "and don't be afraid of me because I knew what I was getting into the minute you showed up here. I saw the way John looked at you at that party. And the way he ran into that room after you and Austin, it was just do obvious. I ignored it though." She shrugged and looked at her hands that rested in her lap.

"Even when I first met him in October it was just so obvious he wasn't over you. And I was the bad guy. I was the one who took a heartbroken guy's virginity, which is like, the worst thing I could possibly do to him. It was the worst thing I could do to you."

I desperately wanted to say something to Mel. I wanted to tell her that nothing was her fault here. But, my mouth was so dry, and I was still in complete shock.

"I thought John and I had this perfect relationship. We never fought, we shared innocent little kisses, we laughed but never too hard, he held my hand, but if I've learned anything out of this or from the two of you is that relationships aren't what you see in movies. Relationships are gritty and hard and difficult and if you can outlast that then it's a real one. And then I saw the tension between you two and I heard stories about you guys fighting and then the next minute being all over each other."

She closed her eyes and softly said, "I wanted it. I want it." Her eyes then flashed open, "I was surprised and hurt when John and I decided to get married. I knew he didn't want it and I knew what was going to happen. He chased after you once we announced it. He never chased after me."

"Mel-" I croaked out.

Shaking her head, she started once again, "I can't compete with history, Carson. No one can. No one could possibly break you two. Not even yourselves."

She finally fell silent the minute I found my voice once again. "That's a little scary, isn't it?"

She raised her eyebrows and shrugged, not knowing. "I could only imagine."

We fell silent until I murmured, "I'm sorry."

"Please don't be," She smiled, "don't be sorry that you're in love."

She stood up, turned and walked towards the door. I watched in awe at this perfect girl that John let slip away. Suddenly, I was angry with him. I was angry that he had to settle with this mess and not go to her. Yet, I knew that's exactly not what Mel wanted me to think.

Before leaving, she turned, smiling, "That must have been quite the summer you guys had?"

I found myself biting back a smile, every bit of doubt vanishing into air and flowing away gently. The room was peacefully quiet, awaiting my answer. I let the doubt settle into the air before answering.

"We'll never forget it."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

John's arm draped around my shoulders as we drove to his parent's house. Every now and then his hand would gently squeeze my shoulder. I gazed out the open window at the never ending desert to both sides of me. I was tempted to close my eyes and let the breeze lift me away. Everything about this was so undeniably perfect that I continuously seemed to forget that one aspect of this picture will be missing as of tomorrow morning.

"So, guess what?" John asked as he lowered the volume down on the stereo and breaking my trance. I caught the mischievous grin that I fell in love with across his lips as he glanced over at me.

"What?"

"Ross is bring a girl."

My eyes lit up as the corners of my lips tugged into a wild smile. I nearly screeched, "Get out!"

John laughed his raspy laugh, "I know! My Mom called this morning and told me. Crazy, right?"

I shook my head, "Wow. He snagged some chick? Do you know her name?"

He shrugged, "I can't remember it. It'll be the first time she's meeting my parents, though."

"Well, it will certainly be interesting."

"And relaxing."

I raised an eyebrow as I looked over at the boy next to me, "Relaxing?"

He nodded his head, "I don't have to worry about him hitting on you."

Something about the way he said it made me want to let out an exaggerated "Awww, but I resisted. Instead, I took hold of his arm around me and traced my fingers along his sun-kissed skin lightly. "Oh John," I let out, then wrapped my fingers in between his, gently kissing each one. "you know that's just joking."

"Yeah, but-" He came to a dead stop as I placed one of his fingers in my mouth and gently pulled it out. His eyes flickered from me to the road constantly, "Oh fuck, Carson. Stop it."

I found myself leaning over in my seat closer to him. As dangerous as I knew it was, I began kissing and sucking on his neck. I could feel him quivering underneath me. "Oh God," He groaned, then lifted his head. I then gently placed a lasting kiss on his temple before moving back over to my seat and adjusting the seat-belt around me.

"You know what that was?" He asked me, partially laughing and partially yelling.

I chuckled, "What?"

"That was the Carson I first met. That was the bad girl Carson who got caught making out with that kid under the bleachers by her mom. She's still in there!"

I grinned, "Admit it; you love it."

"God damn fuck yes I love it. I'd be a fucking idiot if I didn't."

"Well you don't have to worry because she's not going anywhere." I reached over and wrapped my hand around his, squeezing it tightly.

Arriving at the O'Callaghan household was always a heartwarming experience. The house itself was beautiful and the people inside were my family. To me, the O'Callaghan house was Tempe, Arizona. John and I walked up to the front door hand in hand, but before walking inside, John reached up placing a hand on me cheek and gave me a long, desirable kiss. When he pulled away he smiled and said, "You're perfect."

I didn't get the chance to respond, although I wasn't really given the opportunity to begin with. John opened the front door, pulling me gently in after him. He then called out, "Hello!"

Lea emerged from the kitchen with a white apron, her regular flawless make-up in tact and a lovely floral dress on underneath. "Inside voice, John," She pointed, then kissed him on the forehead and made her way to me. She engulfed me in a hug and kissed me on both cheeks. "How are you, dear?"

"I'm great. How are you?"

"Great! Come, come you two. Shane, Ross, and Isabel are in the living room. We're just waiting on the old man."

John lifted an eyebrow at his mother, "Isabel, eh?"

"Don't embarrass your brother." She warned.

He rolled his eyes, "Okay."

Before walking into the living room with John, I turned to Mrs. O'Callaghan, "Do you need any help?"

She laughed and shook her head, "No, dear. Thank you, though. Go. Enjoy." She took me by the shoulders and turned me around to face the living room.

I walked into the living room to find John shaking hands with a small, petite blonde. She stared up at him, googly eyed and laughing. John's head snapped up when I stepped onto the soft, blue carpet. "Carson! This is Isabel. Isabel, this is my girlfriend, Carson."

My stomach still knotted whenever I heard him say I was his girlfriend. I was his girlfriend. Jeez.

I shook Isabel's hand, noticing her blue, sparkly nail polish. "I love your nail polish!" I complimented.

She gave me a weak smile, "Thanks."

Ross snuck up behind her, grinning at me. "Hey, guys." It was weird for him not to make some sort of advance at me but at the same time, very peaceful. Maybe the kid was finally growing up.

Shane sat on the couch to my right. He rolled his eyes every time Isabel giggled. John and I took a seat next to his brother, holding hands. Ross, however, allowed Isabel to sit on his lap in the love chair."How's it going, Shane?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Same old, same old, pretty lady."

John let out an annoyed breath. I grabbed his hand and kissed it lightly to relax him a bit. He looked over and gave me an appreciatively smile.

"So how did you two meet?" John asked Isabel and Ross.

"In school." Isabel replied, plainly.

Unlike his girlfriend, Ross began to gush about the moment their lives interconnected. "I was with my friends watching the soccer game earlier in the year. One of the guys pointed out that this girl was wearing one of The Maine's t-shirts. And I looked walked over and started a conversation."

"Oh, so you're a fan of The Maine?" I asked, smiling and laughing lightly, then squeezed John's arm, which also happened to be his muscle.

Her dead eyes looked at me, then glimmered the second they flickered over to John, "A big one."

John gave her a smile but it was different than the smiles he usually gave to his fans. This one had a hint of concern in it.

About five minutes later, Mr. O'Callaghan came downstairs, greeted me with a hug and a kiss on the cheek, patted John on the back and shook hands with Isabel. We then sat down at the dining room table and began to eat. John talked about the tour and the details about when and how he will be leaving tomorrow. Instead of the van they would be touring in one of those huge tour buses now, which was definitely a topic of discussion. Lea gave him a verbal checklist of what to bring despite the fact that John had already packed. Either way, he politely nodded his head and told his mother "Got it."

Then, the discussion turned towards me and the store. Lea asked how Rod was doing and I told her about his new job. She told me that her and Sarah were planning on getting together tomorrow afternoon to start their spring gardening and that I should stop by. Knowing that tomorrow was Saturday and that I didn't have to work, I agreed cheerfully.

By the time dessert came around, everyone was interested in Isabel. "So, Isabel," Mr. O'Callaghan began, "do you play any sports?"

She nodded her head, "Volleyball."

"We have a net in the backyard! We always play in the summer." John commented.

Everything was fine until Isabel responded by saying, "I'm sure you're great at it. You're tall."

I hated the drop into the pit of my stomach that I got when she said it. I don't even know what it was. Okay. Maybe I did. Maybe it was jealousy or something but the way her eyes lit up every time John spoke or how she leaned forward when she talked to him made me suspicious. I glanced over at Ross who also had the same type of dry expression written across his face as mine.

And that's how dinner went for the rest of the night. As Mr. and Mrs. O'Callaghan cleaned up, we made our way into the living room. This time, Isabel didn't sit on or even next to Ross. Instead, John sat in between the two of us. Isabel leaned up against John constantly and continuously asked him about the band and his band members. John gave her one worded answers for the most part, mainly concentrating on the movie that Shane had put on when we first returned to the room.

After awhile, I noticed Ross was gone. Without any reluctance, I left John alone with Isabel, telling him I'd be right back and walked out of the living room. I searched the first floor for Ross but he was nowhere in sight. I then glanced out the front door's window and in the dark made out a figure sitting on the front steps of the porch. My shoulders fell and I let out a heavy breath. Poor kid.

I opened the door and walked forward. Ross didn't look up or to me when I sat next to him. We stared up at the stars for awhile in a comfortable silence. A few minutes flew by before Ross said anything.

"I think the both of us got a little taste of a futures tonight."

I bit the inside of my cheek, unsure of how to reply. He was right in a way. Sure, girls were going to be all over John, but that shouldn't be what he was concerned with.

"Listen, Ross. I promise you're going to find a real girlfriend who loves you for you. It'll be hard, but once you meet her you'll know she's right."

He looked down, sighing and shaking his head, "As sappy as this is going to sound, I'm just going to say it. I want what you and John have. I want that. I thought Isabel was different. I thought she wasn't just using me."

I placed a hand on his shoulder and finally, the boy looked at me. "You'll have it. Trust me, you're a heartthrob too. I have kissed you before."

He smiled lightly, "John has the greatest luck in the world."

I made a face, "I don't know about that...." I trailed off, then said, "I made you're brother go through hell. He was in a lot of pain."

"But he was never mad at you. He was only hurt because he knew you were right. He was in pain because he was still in love with a girl he couldn't have. He at least had something."

"You'll get your turn, Ross. You will."

His tense shoulders fell with relief. He gave me a smile and nodded his head, "I guess so."

We remained quiet for some time, staring at the night sky. I suddenly got a lovely vision of being in the same spot ten years from now. Sitting on this porch with my brother-in-law and joking around; my husband and his brother's new fiance inside watching a movie. It was bliss. It was perfection. I was tempted to peer over at Ross and tell him he makes a great brother, but I decided to save that one until it was my rightful place to say it. Either way, I knew it was true and I couldn't wait to find out for myself.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I want you to come to my apartment tonight." John said as he parked the car in the complex's parking lot.

"Oh? I cleared my apartment for tonight, though."

"It's okay. I just want you to be there every moment before I leave. We've got less than twelve hours together." His hands found mine.

I paused for a moment, staring down at his hands, "What am I going to do without you for three months? It's crazy."

He bit his bottom lip, not replying. I nodded my head, knowing that he didn't have to say anything. All of this was what it was. There was no changing it.

We walked upstairs together and soon found ourselves outside of John's apartment door. He unlocked the door, the two of us walked in, and then we found us in the dark, silently standing in the middle of the foyer.

We were close to each other; close enough to feel the other's warm, hasty breath. John's steady hand reached up, helping me take off the light sweater I was wearing. It silently fell to the ground and his fingers traced me bare arm. My fingers found the hem of his shirt. I lightly took hold of it, then pulled it over him, exposing his chest. Even in the dark, his tattoos stood out and my eyes scanned them carefully. Next, John was slowly pulling my shirt over my head. As that fell to the ground, I reached behind me and unclasped my bra, allowing it to fall as well.

We stood there closely, our torsos exposed and our breath quick. With one careful motion John picked me up and carried me to his room. He gently rested me down on his bed and carefully pulled off my pants, then took off his. I moved out of my underwear and he did the same. His body then hovered over me, his eyes connected with mine. "Promise me you'll still love me when I'm gone?"

I let out a breath, "I'm always going to love you."

He nodded his head, "I'm always going to love you, too."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The minute I felt him move out of the bed at five thirty in the morning was the minute I realized how my life would be. This inner panic I got every time he left for tour wasn't ever going to vanish. The sudden feeling of emptiness that I hated was always going to be somewhere in me. I was going to have to live with the man I love being somewhere else constantly.

As his weight shifted off the bed, I counted his steps towards the bathroom. I waited until I heard the water form the shower turn on before opening my eyes and getting out of bed. I walked towards the bathroom, naked, then walked inside. John was stretching under the water when I stepped inside.

His weak eyes lifted lightly when he saw me. He didn't smile nor say anything. Instead, he wrapped his arms around me under the blazing water and pulled me into him, resting his head on top of mine. We stayed like that for several minutes before I helped him wash his body. We tiredly helped each other get ready, then after a pretty long shower, got out and dried ourselves off. At this point, we still had uttered a word to each other. There really wasn't any need. We knew what was already on our minds.

We got dressed and had breakfast in silence. I helped him load his bags into his car then drove him to Garrett's house. The bus outside was ready to go by the time we got there. I said goodbye each of the guys, hugging them tightly and watching them go.

John stayed outside of the bus until the very last minute. He took hold of my hands and gave me a lasting kiss on my forehead. When he pulled away he said, "I'll be back before you know it."

I nodded my head, mainly assuring myself, "I know you will."

"I'll call you every day."

I nodded my head yet again, "And I'll call you."

"Please be safe. Don't get into any trouble."

I smiled softly, "You're the one who should be told that."

He didn't smile, though. He simply pulled me into a hug, the pulled away and grabbed my shoulders, "I love you."

I placed my hands on his cheeks and kissed him softly, "I love you. Have fun."

I watched him get on and I watched the bus pull away. I watched it until I couldn't see it anymore. I watched it until my car looked so big on the street now. I ran a hand through my hair and laughed to myself at the whole thing. Everything would be fine. I would be fine because I was used to myself. John would be fine. We would all be fine. I was in Arizona. I was with Rod and Taylor. I had Sarah. I had my job. I was fine. I was perfectly fine and content and ecstatic.

I was miraculously fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
TWO CHAPTERS LEFT
Holy mother I don't even know what else to say.
Oh boy.
:)
Thanks for commenting!