Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 10

You woke several hours later. For a second, you panicked. Where were you? What had happened?, but the past thirty-six hours came back to you. You looked around. The cottage that you were in was well made, with a large fireplace, and laid floors. You looked at Korin’s cot. It was empty. You stood, and stretched the knots from your muscles, product of hours of fleeing. Korin was at the large table, sipping a cup of tea. You went to join him. The tea smelled very bitter, and you eyed it warily. He smiled, took another sip, and pulled a face. The woman who’d saved you wasn’t in the room. You looked around, curiously.
“She’s taking care of Storm.” Korin said, in response to your silent inquiry.
“Do you know her? She seemed to know you, when she picked us up.” You reported. He nodded.
“I know her. She’s provided me with shelter a couple of times. If I’m in the area, I usually stop by. Her name is--”
“Leda. That’s my name.” Leda came in through the door. Korin grinned.
“What she said. My name,” he turned to her, holding out a hand, “is Korin, thanks to Aylen.” He indicated you with a bow of his head. Leda shook his hand.
“Greetings. It is a pleasure to finally have met you, Korin. And you, Aylen, giver-of-names.” You blushed.
“I didn’t do anything special, I just—" You started, only to be interrupted.
“Gave him a name where no one else would?” Leda filled in.
“Helped me escape from a large pack of your own kind, at great personal risk?” Korin chimed in, a grin on his face. Leda looked at him reprovingly.
“If you feel well enough to butt in, you can go load more wood.” She said, looking down on him matriarch-ish-ly. He sighed, and stood. Standing, he was a good bit taller than Leda was. She was shorter than you were.
“How much do you need?” Korin asked, heading toward the door.
“As much as you can move without passing out.” She told him. Korin raised his hand, signaling that he’d heard. Leda turned to you, staring you down. You shifted uncomfortably.
“He thinks quite a bit of you.” She stated bluntly. You stayed quiet, wondering what she was coming to.
“No other hunter I know would brave this area, not if they liked blood running through their veins. Why’d he do it?” She asked with eyes like ice. You realized who Leda was, and your eyes widened slightly from recognition. There were stories that had reached even your ears, of a headquarters for hunters like Korin. They were top secret, and any hunter was welcome there, if they could find their way there. That explained everything. Leda was short for Leeta, a famed huntress who had been dead for thirty years. Except, she wasn’t dead…just retired.
♠ ♠ ♠
long again. ^_^