Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 11

“I…don’t really know. He—!” You were cut off by the thud of a bundle of wood being put down on the hearth. Leda turned, far too quickly for any civilian. Korin looked up.
“Did I interupt something?” He asked innocently. You were positive he’d heard everything. Leda smiled wanly, coming to the same conclusion.
“Not really. I was just asking…Miss Aylen…some questions as to how you two met, that’s all.” Leda’s words sounded truthful to the extreme. Korin nodded slowly, never taking his odd green eyes off of Leda’s.
“I see,” He drawled. “Well, I need to borrow her for a minute, she’s better at untying knots then I am.” You both knew he was lying; you couldn’t do a thing with knots except make them even worse, but you stood up anyway, and followed him quickly out of the house.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have left you alone with Leeta. She may be retired, but she still doesn’t trust your people.” He said, leaning against the barn wall. There was no point in bringing in any more firewood. Leeta had plenty and it was all damp besides.
“She lost a husband and two sons to a raid on headquarters, back when she was still very…active. I don’t think she’ll ever trust you.” He told you, arms crossed across his chest loosely. You watched him for a while. He absently rubbed his neck.
“Are you alright?” You asked quickly.
“I’m fine, don’t worry.” He saw your mildly disbelieving look. “Just kind of tired; and a little achy from the fall. That’s all.” He said with a small smile. You sighed.
“I’m sorry.” You said, head bowed. You could practically feel him staring at you. A hand lifted your chin, forcing you to look him in the eyes.
“Don’t be. I meant what I said earlier, about you saving us. You did.” You shook your head a little.
“You don’t believe me? I would far prefer you biting me; to dying, tied to a stick. Trust me.” He said, staring straight at you. After a second, you looked away. You turned to walk back into the cottage, when he called you back.
“Lass.” You turned, wondering what he wanted. He was closer to you than you expected. You blinked in surprise. He held a box out. You took it, and opened it. Inside was the knife you had always used for training. You looked at him questioningly. He just smiled, and drew his own. You smiled back, and the clearing rang with the clash of blade on blade.
Leda heard and came out, wiping her hands on a rag. What she saw stunned her. Korin was sparring with the girl, apparently teaching her the finer points of the knife arts. Leda was surprised. He would correct her patiently if she made a mistake, and she would nod with a determined look on her face. Leda remembered wearing a similar one when she and her late husband sparred.
Had Korin lost his mind? No, she thought suddenly, that wasn’t right. Korin was…falling for her. Leeta shook her head. She prayed he wouldn’t be hurt. He already beat himself up about not remembering his past. Leeta felt a flash of guilt. Korin was like a son to her. Why? Why hadn’t she given him a name? She sighed. She was a fool. Korin had finally found someone who understood, if not his pain, then at least how to help ease it. She shook her head again and went back inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy