Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 16

Later, after your parents had retired to a corner, and you were sitting next to Korin; who had to stand; waiting, in case your brother came back, Korin sprang a question on you.
“Why didn’t you tell them? About Esiladae, I mean.” You looked up at him in surprise.
“Because, it wouldn’t have helped the situation any. Do you think they should know?” He nodded.
“Yes, they should know. I think Seth already knows, though I don’t know how he found out. Somehow, he just doesn’t strike me as someone with much of an interest in his family’s wellness, if you know what I mean.” He said. You smiled wryly. He didn’t mention Seth’s apparent ‘preferences’.
“Whatever gave you that idea?” You asked, earning a look. He shifted, leaning back against the wall. Your eyes drifted magnetically toward the silver shackles.
“Don’t even think about it.” Korin said, watching you, with an odd look on his face. For a human, he was very good at guessing what you were thinking. It was kind of uncanny, the way he did that.
“You all need to feed.” Korin stated, after a few minutes of silence, immediately gaining your full attention. He had a calculating look on his face, clueing you in to his thoughts.
“You can’t be serious.” The look on his face showed you that he was indeed quite serious. “Korin, be reasonable. There are three of us. Even if I don’t feed, and my parents drink lightly, you’ll die. Look at what happened last time.” Your voice had risen in volume and timbre. It had effectively disturbed your parents, who came over.
“What’s wrong, Aylen?” Your father asked. You continued to stare at Korin, who was showing a mule-like tenacity. It was he that answered your father’s question.
“She thinks that I’ve suddenly developed suicidal tendencies because I stated the obvious. We all need something to eat, I just happen to be an effective means of nutrition for you.” He stated quickly, before you could interupt him. The older vampire blinked, thinking. His eyes narrowed, as did his wife’s.
“You…are willing to have your blood drunk, risking your own life, so that we have been…nourished?” He asked, questioning Korin’s motives. Korin nodded.
“I would rather that you, and your family, were powerful enough to deal with Seth; rather than attempting it myself, failing, and severely reducing any chance of life and or escape.” He stated, completely honest. You closed your eyes, hoping dearly that your father would not agree. Your father was quiet for a very long time, consulting with your mother, mind to mind, about the decision.
“You do realize that you could easily die, correct?” He finally asked, somewhat hesitantly.
“Yes.” Korin said, dashing your hopes that he might see sense. No, sense appeared to have completely deserted him. Your father grimaced, and stepped back, allowing your mother to go first. You looked away when she bite Korin. You tried, and failed, to ignore the sharp hiss of breath through clenched teeth that slipped from the red-headed hunter. Your mother drank quickly, taking only what was necessary. Your father looked at you, a polite invitation to drink. You shook your head, mildly nauseated. He nodded, and stepped up. You heard a low rumble of pain as another set of elongated canines sliced the thin skin on his throat. Your mother’s marks had already healed up and left a faint blemish over a non-lethal vein near Korin’s collarbone. Minutes later, your father’s had healed over, too. Korin had braced himself against the wall, leaning on it and allowing the manacles about his wrists help hold him up. You hesitated; he had already lost plenty of blood to your parent’s careful drinking.
♠ ♠ ♠
i definately scare myself.