Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 18

Virden were a…subspecies, of sorts, mercenaries in a way. They were basically humans who existed for no other reason than to repel immortals; vampires, werewolves, malevolent spirits, etc. They had some innate magic, but not much, just enough for healing purposes. They were very strong and agile, for humans. Most were lean, with oddly colored hair, the result of small magic’s and protections put on them as babies. They also had a weakness. If an immortal drank their blood, a link formed between the two. The one with a stronger will at any given time would be dominant until the other took over.
Needless to say, the Virden feared this link. They taught their descendants to never get bitten, or, if it did happen, one of the linked pair had to die. Not long ago, the immortal forces, largely vampires, massacred them. They were more than tired of the Virden killing them. Even if one of them was bitten; it killed its biter and then committed suicide. Unfortunately, Virden blood was very sweet, and posed a challenge to get. Young, foolhardy vampires would attempt to catch a Virden hunter, and would get killed. This had severely decreased the vampires’ population, and Aylen’s generation had gone from large to rather small as a result.
It wasn’t long before you realized that Korin was staring back at you, a question in his eyes.
“And are you ready to answer me?” He asked, confirming your suspicion that he’d asked you a question. You blinked a few times.
“Could you repeat the question?” You asked brightly, with a sheepish smile. Korin bite his lip, apparently resisting the urge to roll his eyes.
“What are you talking about? You’re all over there. I’m over here, and I can’t hear nearly as well as you can.” He explained.
“Oh…sorry about that.” You said. You and your parents moved closer.
“We were just discussing the possibilities of your origin.” Your father added, earning a mild glare from you. Korin nodded, obviously not insulted.
“And what did you come up with?” He asked, curious as to what their theories were. He’d never met anyone so willing to try to find out. This family was defiantly odd, even by vampiric standards. Especially by vampiric standards, which were usually stricter than human standards.
“We think that you may have survived the Virden Massacre.” Your father stated. Korin blinked. He cocked his head slightly to the side. The look on his face told you that he knew the history, more or less.
“I see…” He trailed off. ‘That would explain the nightmares,’ he thought.
It appeared that he knew just how much trouble that could end up being. You watched his face closely as he turned this bit of news over. He turned to your mother.
“And what do you think?” He asked her. She shrugged.
“I agree, though if we’re right, it’s amazing that you managed to survive.” He went back to searching his faulty memory of his younger years. Nothing new. Just waking up in Leeta’s cottage, unable to remember anything.
“It’s possible,” he concluded, standing up fully, away from the wall. He stretched out as much as was possible, which wasn’t much. He appeared to have resigned himself to this as the only answer.
A knock on the door made all of you jump. It opened a bit and something was rolled in. It started to spew smoke. You felt your eyelids droop before you even realized that it was a knock-out drug. Darkness rose to meet you even as you sank to the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Korin is Virden, BTW. The next part could be a little...odd. Not that the rest of these are particularly normal...