Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 23

You and your parents had barely fed Korin and shown him to a room before he collapsed, deeply asleep. He woke briefly a few times over the next three days, but sleep seemed to be the best thing for him, so you left him alone. Or, rather, you didn’t wake him up. You often sat in a chair next to the bed and watched him sleep.
On the third day, Korin sat up, blinking in the light shed by the low bedside candle. You were sitting in a chair next to the bed, fast asleep. He climbed out of bed, shaking his head. Silently, he lifted you off the chair, and, leaning over, tucked you into the bed, because he knew he would never find your room. You barely reacted to the change in position. Korin attempted to straighten up, but a hand on his shirt stopped him.
You, still asleep, had a handful of his shirt in your hand, holding him close. He could feel his face heat up; a blush was spreading unseen across his face. Carefully, so as not to wake you, he gently loosened your hand until he could pull free. Korin froze as you turned in your sleep. You muttered something. Korin had been close enough to hear, and he blushed even more. Once freed, he turned away quickly, and left the room, his passage blowing out the candle.
You woke up the next morning, confused. You had had a very odd dream last night. It took you a minute to clear your sleep-clouded mind, before you realized that you were in a bed. Upon further inspection, it turned out to be Korin’s bed.
‘That wasn’t a dream, then.’ You thought, face red. There was no sign of Korin in the room. If he’d heard what you thought he may have heard, you didn’t blame him for leaving the room. You mentally slapped yourself for falling asleep, and above all, for falling in…love…with him. There was no way he would return your feelings. You were a vampire and he was Virden. The only Virden, thanks to your people. He had plenty of reasons to hate vampires now, even if he hadn’t before. You felt ready to cry.
Korin, meanwhile, was still recovering from his shock. Conflicting thoughts were whirling around in much the same way they had last night.
There must have been some mistake…I’ve finally lost my mind…I’m dreaming…oh damn, that’s her father; just to name a few of his thoughts.
Your father dropped down beside Korin, who was currently perched on a wall out in the garden, where he’d been since around four in the morning. They sat there in silence for a while, Korin waiting for…something; your father trying to straighten out what he wanted to say, concerning Korin and, of course, you.
“Aylen thinks very…um…highly of you.” your father said hesitantly. Korin suppressed a wince. ‘Great, now I’m seeing things, as well as hearing them.’ He thought pessimistically to himself.
“Thank you.” Korin said, trying to drown the depression trying to overcome him. The two sat in silence for a while longer, each battling their own thoughts. ‘There’s no way that she could possibly think highly of me. I killed her brothers, for crying out loud! First time we met, she tried to kill me, and I don’t blame her! To make matters worse, her parents have good reason to hate me, too.’ Korin’s thoughts continued along this depressing path.
Little did he know, your father was thinking similar things, though, they weren’t quite as simple feelings. ‘She likes him! But how can she? He killed my son!’ He no longer regarded Seth as his son, for fairly obvious reasons. ‘Plus, he’s Virden. He’s been taught since birth to hate our kind! Although he did seem sincere when he asked what we thought…no, not thinking about that…Right now, he’s probably planning to avenge his clan, starting with us…Not that I can really fault that, either,’ he thought grimly. He would want to avenge his family also. Esiladae’s death angered and saddened him greatly, though, at the moment, he really wasn’t sure who had killed him. Korin had struck the blow, but Seth had cursed him, and had set it up for him to get killed. If Korin hadn’t killed him, someone else would have. But then, someone else wouldn’t have ended up at your home, and probably would have killed you on sight…Obviously, your father was finding it quite difficult to really lay blame on Korin, as much as he may have wanted to. He growled deep in his throat, earning a slightly wary glance from Korin. It seemed to be a habit in this family. You would also growl when you were frustrated or annoyed. Not that this really comforted him much, you were never the easiest to be around when you were frustrated or annoyed. Doubtless your father was similar.
♠ ♠ ♠
almost done, hang in there duckies...ew, i just called you 'duckies'...my pride and self repect are laying there dying...*pokes them with a stick*