Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 24

A sudden grumbling emanated from Korin’s stomach, and he looked down with surprise. “Wow, I haven’t eaten in awhile, have I?” Your father looked at Korin with a raised eyebrow for the stupidity of that remark, but let it go, telling himself that the boy had just spent three days asleep and apparently, a morning outside.
“Do you mind if I get something to eat?” Korin asked, politely.
“By all means…” your father sighed, waving a hand in the direction of the facilities.
Korin walked to the kitchen, and right as he entered you happened to be walking in from the other entrance. Suddenly you were face to face with him and you remembered last night with rather astonishing clarity.
‘Oh…crap,’ you thought. ‘If there is a god, and he hasn’t completely damned my soul, let him not have heard that last night.’
“So…getting some food…” you said stupidly.
“That is why one is generally in the kitchen…” He replied, not looking at you.
“I knew that…” you countered half-heartedly.
Korin went to the cabinet, and after searching for awhile came upon some bacon. He then went to the fireplace and placed a frying pan on it. Soon the bacon was sizzling.
“Can I have some?”
“No.”
“May all your bacon burn.”
“I’m joking...Yes, you can have some…it’s your house, anyway. I can’t really stop you from getting food in your own house…”
You took some of the bacon and started to eat it. The atmosphere became even more noticeably awkward.
“Hand me some eggs,” Korin said, without looking up from the frying pan. He held out a hand.
You grabbed some from the ice room, (a room with an ice spell on it,) and handed them to him. Your hands didn’t even touch as he took the eggs from you. He started cooking the eggs, flipping them expertly. Obviously, Leeta had taught him how to cook. You decided to try to move the conversation from breakfast.
“About the other night---“
“It’s fine, I’m use to vampires trying to kill me, it’s what I do.” He suddenly stopped talking, belatedly remembering that the whole vampire-killing thing wasn’t exactly the best conversation to have with a vampire.
You, however, hadn’t really noticed the comment, and suddenly you couldn’t take it anymore. “Korin, I—“
Korin looked up for the first time.
“You…what?” he asked, after you didn’t finish your sentence.
“I…want some eggs, please…” You mentally beat yourself for not spitting it out.
Korin handed you a plate full of eggs, suddenly lacking any appetite, and you slowly devoured them, using this as an excuse to come up with some way of telling him.
“I should probably leave soon…” He trailed off, busying himself with a sudden interest in another glass of water.
Your voice caught in your throat, and you had to swallow to clear it again. “I suppose that is for the best, then…”
He took your empty plate, and promptly dumped it in the sink like he had a personal grudge against it. Maybe he didn’t like the design on it. He turned, but didn’t look at you.
“Uh…” You looked up expectantly. “I just wanted to say that…I’m sorry for… for killing your…brother.” You looked at him, amazed. He was still beating himself up about that?
“Don’t be, it wasn’t your fault. You didn’t brainwash him, right? Why would I blame you for what he did?”
“He was your brother.”
“Of course, but at least Seth didn’t kill him.” he winced at this. “I’m sorry that I tried to kill you and all.” You told him, referring to your meeting a month and a half ago.
“Well, I suppose if someone had killed my family, I’d want revenge, too.”
This didn’t help with your issues on your kind killing off his family, and it showed on your face.
“Not that I really remember my clan. At all.” He added hastily, having finally looked up.
“You saved my family...” You looked down, almost shy.
Your father and mother seemingly appeared out of nowhere. In all actuality, they had been listening for a while.
“Yes, and as thanks for helping us, we would like to give you our daughter’s hand in marriage!” Your mother announced, elbowing your father sharply in the ribs before he could protest.
You and Korin just stared at them.
“Oh, I couldn’t possibly, I was just at the right place—“
“Mom, don’t even suggest such ridiculous thing—“
“Not that I wouldn’t love to—“
“There’s no way…Wait…WHAT?!” You shouted, turning to him. Korin immediately clammed up.
“Did you just say you wanted to marry me?!” you asked accusingly.
“Ye- I mean, No; err…argh.” He closed his eyes, before exclaiming loudly: “I love you, damn it all!”
“No need to scream, I mean, really, I love you too and all!” you countered, equally loud, without really thinking.
“Fine!”
“Fine!”
You then turned your backs on each other, acting like children. A full minute passed, and your parents were staring at the both of you, completely dumbfounded, confusion quite plain on their faces. Finally, realization struck, and you turned back to each other in amazement.
“Do you really mean it?” you asked, not daring to believe.
“Of course I mean it, but…” He scoffed. “How could you love me? …I kill your kind. For a living.” He added, emphasizing the point further with his hands.
“Just the psychopaths and I don’t really care for them either…”
He smiled weakly. “I try.” He said with a shrug.
“Well? Aren’t you going to kiss her?” Your mother exclaimed indignantly, while she handed your father a glass of the hardest liquor kept in the castle.
“Don’t you dare, boy.” Your father growled; his eyes narrowed dangerously, quite ready to kill Korin for doing so. You saw a mischievous glint suddenly appear in your beloved’s eye. He smiled, looking at you. He grabbed you, and quickly kissed your cheek, just to exasperate your father, before he pulled you outside the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
fight, break up, make up, and make out session in less than twenty minutes...these people are good...