Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 4

Over the next couple of weeks, you developed a pattern. Rise, eat breakfast, wash up, and move out. As you moved into a less human-populated area, where the woods were wilder, and noises at night that weren’t mortal, you became rather more edgy. You knew that you had nothing to fear from a wandering group of vampires, but Korin did, and while he didn’t seem all that concerned, he still slept lightly, woken by as little as a broken tree branch. Personally, you were more worried about werewolves than vampires, anyway. They were your people’s enemy, and would happily kill on sight.
Korin seemed to notice your edginess, because he handed you a steel dagger with silver inlaid in it. The one you had attempted to kill him with; when you had first met; now modified. It was geared toward immortal fighting now. The handle had been newly re-dressed, which meant you could use it without hurting yourself on the silver. There was one problem. You didn’t know how to use it. When you told Korin this, he looked rather bemused.
“Your parents never taught you how to use a dagger?” You shook your head. “What about a sword?” You shrugged.
“Not enough to make me very useful in a fight. I could never hold against Esiladae for more than seven minutes.”
Korin stared, dumbfounded.
“’Not enough to make you useful in a fight?!’” he repeated incredulously. “Lass, your brother was an amazing sword!” You felt rather small.
“I…didn’t know. Sorry.” You said quietly, staring at the ground.
“Why are you apologizing?” he asked, staring at you with an odd expression on his face. You thought about it. Why were you apologizing?
“I’m not sure...” you said, contemplating it. “It just felt like I needed to apologize.” He looked at you even more oddly this time.
“I…see.” He concluded finally. “Well, if you like, I can teach you the dagger, too.” you looked at him, to see whether or not he was joking. He stared back at you, waiting for an answer.
“I’d like that, thanks.” you finally told him.
“No problem. Shall we start now?” You nodded, moving a bit farther from the fire. Korin followed you and had you practice all of the more basic movements; slashes, stabs, and, of course, blocks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry. Those last few have been short. It'll get better soon