Nameless

Nameless: Chapter 6

The leader of the vampires stepped toward you. You saw Korin’s face, knowing him well enough by now to know he was thinking about sending one of the throwing knives you knew he had stashed on him through the man’s heart. He let that go, knowing that if he did, he doomed you both. Especially since two particularly large vampires had stationed themselves at his sides, ready for any…untoward…actions directed at their leader. You almost sighed in relief.
“Sister,” the leader addressed you. You cringed mentally; he had horrible breath. You sent up mental thanks to your mother for teaching you composure.
“Welcome. I see you have brought your dinner with you. Most clever, I commend you on it.” You nodded, appearing to agree with him, inwardly praying that Korin wouldn’t take it the wrong way.
“Indeed, I was, in fact, taking him home, to…savor.” You said with a properly wicked smile on your face. You glanced at Korin, who looked properly betrayed in turn, though whether or not he was playing along was yet to be determined.
“You tricked me! You—!“ Whatever he was going to say was well cut off by the rag shoved roughly into his mouth by one of the two vampires, the other now holding his hands behind his back. The leader smiled coldly. He turned back to you.
“Join us for supper?” You blinked. And smiled.
“Of course. It would be my pleasure.” You told him, as your mind worked franticly, trying to think up some way to help your beleaguered comrade.
Back at the vampires’ camp, Korin was tied tightly to a cross-shaped stake that had been driven into the ground. The leader, whose name you’d been told and had promptly forgotten, invited you to the raised dais in front of the palisade. The gag had been removed, and he was silently ignoring the taunts and jeers of the vampires around him. He was staring at you with a burning intensity that scared you.
“My brethren!” the leader called, quieting the vampires momentarily. “We have had the good luck to capture, with the help of this young woman, a so-called ‘hunter’ of our Race!” He nodded toward you. “We shall now give her the honor of her first feast, with so ‘mighty’ a victim! Tomorrow, we shall have a go, if there’s any left.” He mocked Korin, who ignored him, staring only at you. You started toward him, nervous only on the inside. That walk may have only lasted a few seconds, but it was definitely the longest ten seconds of your life. When you had reached him, to your immense surprise, he grinned a bit.
“You look so serious, lass. My acting isn’t that good.” He said lightly, too quietly for anyone but you to hear. Your heart leapt. It was nice, not being hated.
“I’ll undo the ropes, hold on.” But before you could do anything, he said sharply:
“No! That’s suicide. You’re going to have to…bite me.” You stared.
“Are you kidding?” you asked, wondering if he’d lost it under stress.
“I’ve never been more serious. Bite me, just enough to put me out for a while. Quick, before they suspect something!” He urged, pushing any nervousness he might feel away. You quelled the doubt, and started searching the side of his throat for a good place to bite. You felt as he repressed an involuntary shiver, and found the best spot to puncture. You tasted blood, and he made a noise deep in his throat. Whether it was from pain or not, you would never know.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mm. Tasty.