This Is How We Live.

You and I.

Today was Saturday. Battle of the bands. The boys were gonna compete in it, and hopefully they’ll win. Again. Just like every other year we’ve been in high school. When we were in middle school, we always used to go to Poway’s battle of the bands. It was a fun time, and it also helped us meet some upperclassmen.

I tied my hair into a messy bun and slid on some black tights, shorts, a red tank top, then my navy striped cardigan. I wore it to every battle of the bands, and the boys were convinced that it was their lucky charm. Or at least Cameron was convinced. Emi dug through my closet, “Janine! Do you have anything I can wear?!”

“Umm, have you tried on my floral tank top?” I said, smearing on Chapstick.

“You have like, seven!” Katie interrupted.

Amy sat on my bed, fixing her curly hair. “Zach said they were performing a new song.”

I shot Amy my ‘That was an irrelevant comment.’ look, and turned back to Emi. “The beige one with the light pink flowers! The one with the lace trim?”

“Ew.” She made a sour face at it.

“Wear it!” Amy demanded.

Katie threw Emi a white ruffled cardigan, “Here. Wear this over it.”

“And wear your super skinny jeans.” I added.

“So, why do I have to look pretty?” Emi said, confused.

“Because Nathan likes it when you look pretty.” Katie said.

“But he tells me I look pretty all the time!” She whined.

“JUST WEAR IT.” Amy hissed.

Emi hesitantly went into the bathroom to change. She came out fifteen minutes later. Katie whistled. “Girl, you so fine!”

“Yeah, you’ve been hanging around Michael too much.” I pretended to push her face away.

“Says the girl who likes him!” She teased.

“Correction: DATING him.” Amy added.

“Are we leaving or…” Emi grabbed my car keys off of my jewelry tree.

We drove to the school and went into the gym. Yes, the gym. I never understood why it was never held in the auditorium. We walked into the gym and saw the boys preparing for soundcheck.

“Hey!” Zach yelled.

“HI!” We all yelled.

“You’re not supposed to be here!” Zach said to Amy.

She chewed on her pinky nail, “Why not?!”

“Because my song is a surprise.” He smiled.

Amy whined, “But Zach!”

“Go get some food with the girls, come on. It’s a surprise, okay? I love you.” He leaned down to kiss Amy. I found their height difference to be cute.

We eventually left to go eat breakfast at Starbucks, and by the time we came back, the gym was already packed. Parents, teachers, middle schoolers, the whole freaking town. The boys were up first, and as the light dimmed, I could hear Michael getting ready to drum. Nathan was on the keyboard today, as well as the guitar.

“Set on this girl, but I just can’t show it, I’m taking my time, ‘cause I don’t wanna blow it…” Zach began to sing.

I looked over at Amy and she began to cry.

Emi said, “Awwww!” and held Amy close to her.

Katie threw up her hand heart at Cameron and he pointed at her.

“Amy, A-A-Amy, you changed my life. Amy, A-A-Amy, you make everything alright.” Zach sang, looking up at Amy.



After their set, they ran up to us at the top of the bleachers. Amy’s eyes were rimmed red, since she couldn’t stop crying.

“I don’t wanna move!” She said to Zach.

“It’ll be okay.” He said, patting her back.

“No it isn’t!” She continued to cry.

“I’m going outside.” I stood up and went outside to the quad. Michael followed me out.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t want Amy to leave.” I started to sob.

Michael sat at a bench and motioned me to go sit next to him. I did. “Why?” He asked.

“You’re really asking that?” I said, pissed. “Amy’s my best friend. We’ve known each other since forever. Our parents went to school together. Michael, she’s truly my best friend. What if we lose touch?” I cried and cried.

“You’re not gonna.” He said. “I promise you.”

“Pinky promise?” I sniffled.

He looped his pinky around mine. “Come on, they’re announcing the winner.”

“I’ll just stay here. I’ll see you guys in a few.” He headed back into the gym.

I looked up at the sky. Blue. Cloudless. The breeze was flowing. My favorite weather. While being alone, I just thought of what could happen. What if I graduated as valedictorian? I smiled at the thought.

“Whatcha thinkin’ about, cutie?” Brandon sat next to me.

“Leave.” I said, flatly.

“Rude much?” He chuckled. “You don’t even wanna be friends?”

“Friends don’t give each other bruises.”

“That wasn’t my fault.”

“Oh, and was it my fault?” I raised my voice. “I’m SO sorry I didn’t wanna put out!” I said sarcastically.

He remained silent.

“That’s what I thought.” I got up to go back into the gym, but Brandon grabbed my arm.

“I love you.” He said, looking into my eyes.

I pushed him away, “That’s good to know, but… I don’t love you too.”

“Is it because you’re with Martinez now?” He said.

I shook my head, “You just don’t get it.”

As I was about to walk into the gym, they came out, all smiles. Zach and Amy were holding hands. Amy was still sort of crying, but smiling big. Cameron was carrying Katie like she was a princess. After all, Katie was apparently Cameron’s princess. And Nathan was giving Emi a piggyback ride. “Hey!” They all cheered.

“Lemme guess, you won?” I said, smiling.

They all nodded. Michael spread his arms, which was my cue to give him a hug. I jumped into his arms. “You’re all okay now?” He whispered.

“Yes.” I smiled.

“Good. Because we’re all going to the beach tonight for a party.”

“Really?!” I said. “Which beach?!”

“La Jolla!” Cameron said, smiling. “Time to surf!”

“Time to TEACH ME how to surf!” Katie said, nudging him.

“And time to teach me how to play the guitar…” Emi said to Nate.

“And time to run around the whole beach.” Amy said to Zach.



When we got to La Jolla, some kids were already there. Hm, I guess it wasn’t JUST the eight of us. Party time! We laid out our blankets and towels and Cameron pulled out his surfboard. “Katie!” He yelled. “Wanna learn?”

“Hell yeah!” She ran up to him and they both went into the ocean.

Nathan pulled out his guitar and began teaching Emi chords. Zach and Amy started walking around the beach, kicking sand at each other and just being cute like they usually were.

And then before I knew it, Michael blindfolded me. “Michael!” I yelled.

“Shhhh!” He said, carrying me over his shoulder.

“Put me the fuck down!” I said, pissed.

He finally put me down, and I took a deep breath. I reached my arms out and started feeling around. I ended up slapping Michael twice. He took my blindfold off and then I realized we were at the cove. “We’re in the cove.” I said softly.

You see, everyone who was in a relationship has basically been in here. I’m not saying it’s a hookup spot or anything. It’s just apparently the most romantic spot you could’ve been in. I looked around. It was dark. The only light there was, was the light from Michael’s flashlight. “It’s dark.” I said, holding on to his shirt.

“It’s okay.” He said softly.

(Michael’s POV)

I looked at Janine, holding on to me. She was like the only light in this dark place. She smiled at me. “It’s kinda scary in here.”

“I can protect you like Superman, shawty.” I said.

“You’re cheesy!” She laughed at me.

“Only for you.” I winked at her and kissed her.

I liked the fact that she was mine now. It made me happy knowing I made HER happy.

“By the way, Michael, guess what?”

“Hm?”

“Brandon’s mad now. Because we’re together.” She said in a small voice.

“You didn’t need him in your life. Ok?” I kissed her again.

She nodded and kissed me again. And again. And again.

I wanted to tell her I love her, but I didn’t wanna scare her away. When we went back outside, everyone was sitting around a fire, under blankets.

“Mikey! Janine! You’re back!” Katie yelled. “We all thought you died!”

“OR WERE DOING IT!” Amy blurted out.

All of us burst into laughter. Janine and I sat down and she put her head on my shoulder.

We watched Cameron turn to Katie, “Katie.” He started his speech.

“Cameron.” She smiled.

“I love you.”

I wish I had the guts to say that to my girlfriend.