This Is How We Live.

A night to remember.

(Michael’s POV)

“Hey, bro, what’s a really good way to ask a girl out to prom?” I asked Cameron.

“Asking Janine, I see.” He leaned on his locker, smiling.

“Yeah.” I nodded. “Obviously.”

“Well, first what you do is get a Pokeball…”

“A Pokeball? Seriously, Cam?” I said. His idea was already really ridiculous.

“Seriously, bro. Okay, so anyways. You get the Pokeball and you stuff a note into it. Be creative. And then throw it at her. She’ll read it. She’ll love it. She’ll say yes.”

“That’s actually… Not a bad idea.” I said. “Thanks, bro!”

“No problem.”

“But how am I gonna get a Pokeball?” I said, confused.



(Janine’s POV)

I put my unneeded books in my locker for the afternoon, and a Pokeball landed right next to my feet. I picked it up and opened it. Inside it was a folded up piece of paper. “Sorry I’m not Pikachu, but I can be your prom date. Prom? -Michael” I looked around, but there was still no sign of him. I slammed my locker and headed out to work. I walked up to my car and Michael was leaning on the trunk. “And your answer is…?”

I smiled at him, “What do you think it is?”

“It’s a no, huh?” He joked.

“Bubs, it’s a yes with a cherry on top!” I threw my arms around him and kissed him.

“Good.” He said, smiling. “Are you going shopping tonight?”

I shrugged, “I have work. I dunno. Maybe I’ll ask Katie and Emi to tag along for some shopping.”

He kissed my cheek, “You’re gonna look great, bubs.”

I got in my car. “Talk to you later?”

He nodded, “Yes ma’am.”



I spent four hours at work ringing up people’s things. Mostly girls’ dresses for prom. I noticed one really cute dress. It was blue silk, with black tulle over it. It looked about it hit right above the knee. I wanted it, but weren’t prom dresses supposed to be long? I texted Emi and Katie “Go to Forever. In like 1/2 hour. After my shift is done. Dress shopping. :)”



After my shift, I signed out and Katie and Emi showed up in the front room. That room had the most dresses, but they were pretty casual. We looked around for the blue dress with tulle, but we still couldn’t find it. “I really liked that dress. I bet Michael was gonna like it too.” I sighed.

“Wait!” Katie pulled out the dress from a rack of pink floral dresses, “Is it this one?”

I jumped up, “Yes!”

She handed it to me, “Try it on.”

I went to go try it on, but it looked too… poofy. “I thought it was gonna look nice too. I guess I’m back to square one.” I went back into the fitting room and changed into my normal clothes. I gave it back to Breanna, the fitting room attendant, and looked around the store again. “Aren’t you guys trying anything?” I asked.

Emi shook her head, “I already have my gold dress. It’s really cute. Strapless. And it hits right above the knee, so it hides my thighs.”

“I don’t wanna get a dress here.” She said, “I’d rather buy casual clothes here.”

“Oh, you fancy huh?” I joked.

“Very.” She laughed.

Katie was shuffling through a rack of dresses when she pulled out one that looked similar to the blue one. Except it was gray-ish, and had floral lace over it. It had a v-neck, and straps. “Try it on,” She shoved the dress in my hands.

“But—”

“No ‘but’s! Try it!” Katie demanded.

I went into the fitting room and changed into it. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and smiled. This dress was it. It fit me nicely, and it made me feel beautiful. I went out of the fitting room. Emi whistled, “You’re so pretty!”

Katie fake-cried, “My wittle Janine Mae is growing up!”

“Put a sock in it, Katie Elizabeth.” I said.

“This is the dress.” Emi whispered.

“Definitely.” I smiled.



After we bought my dress, we headed to BCBG to get Katie’s dress. Damn, it was expensive there! I shuffled through a rack, “Any specific color?”

“Green.” Katie said, “Cameron likes green.”

I pulled out a full-length emerald green dress, with a halter top. “This one?”

“It’s beautiful.” Katie said, “But what size is that?”

“Four.” I said. “Your exact size.”

“No, get a two.” She snapped.

“You’re a four though…” Emi said.

“I’ve been trying to lose weight lately.” Katie said.

Emi pulled out a two of the same dress and handed it to Katie. Katie went into the fitting room to try it on. “Can someone help me zip this up?” She said, breathing heavily.

Emi went into her fitting room, “I told you to get a four!”

“No…” Katie sighed, “I can just… wear some spandex under this, and suck my tummy in. I’m all good. I’m getting a size two, damn it!”

“Katie, are you okay?” I said.

“I’m fine… Totally fine.”

And then my phone buzzed with a text from Amy. “I’m coming on Saturday! Prom night! My flight comes in at about four.”

“That’s great! Can’t wait to see you.” I texted back.



(Prom night)

I put on my makeup and slipped on my dress. We were all getting ready at Katie’s house, and the boys were picking us up in a few. Katie slipped on her dress, which now fit fine. But she said she was feeling light-headed. Emi looked GORGEOUS in her dress. Her hair was put up in a bun, and pinned up with a big butterfly pin. Katie’s hair was pinned straight, and her bangs were bobby pinned up. My hair was curly and bouncy. Amy was gonna show up late, since her flight was delayed an hour. Pre-prom starts at six. You know, going out to dinner and all that jazz. I put on one last coat of mascara and began looking for my strappy heels. I hoped that I wouldn’t trip tonight.

“Where’s Amy?” Emi asked.

“Late.” I said. I pulled out my phone and started texting her, “Get here NOW!!!”

She quickly texted back, “Fuck damn it, I’m at the airport rn! Baggage check then off to Katie’s house!”

Katie chugged a bottle of water, “That should keep me full for the night.”

“Eat, damn it!” I yelled.

“NO! I’m trying to stay skinny for the team.”

Emi shrugged, “If you faint, it’s not my fault.”

The doorbell finally rang. We all raised our heads and looked at each other, “AMY!”

We all ran down the stairs and saw Amy standing there, holding a dress in a plastic cover. “You guys!” She yelled.

“Come up!” Emi yelled. “I wanna do your hair.”

“Makeup!” Katie yelled out.

“Shoes!” I said.

Amy came upstairs and slipped on her white dress. It was strapless, and it flowed over her perfectly. She looked like an angel. The dress was short, like mine and Emi’s.

Emi curled her hair and it looked extremely pretty. Katie did a smoky eye on her, and to say the least it was gorgeous. I looked through Katie’s shoe pile, but none of them would fit her. And Emi didn’t bring any other shoes, either.

I sighed, “Amy did you bring any heels?”

She looked down, “Nope… Just my Chuck Taylors.”

“Perfect.” I said. “Put on your Chucks.”

“What?!” She hollered, “I can’t wear sneakers to PROM!”

“Just do it!” I said.



The boys rang the doorbell, and we all squealed. “Amy, hide.” I whispered.

“Where?!?” She said.

“Behind my door.” Katie said, “The boys are coming up here.”

Amy hid behind Katie’s door, and we all went downstairs.

“Lookin’ fancy, there!” Emi yelled.

“Thanks!” They all said in unison.

I ran to Michael and hugged him. “You look beautiful.” He whispered in my ear.

“And you look handsome.” I smiled.

Cameron slipped his hands around Katie’s waist, “You look amazing.”

“Thank you.” She smiled, and kissed him.

Emi hugged Nathan, and he picked her up and spun her around.

Zach was forever alone.

“Come on you guys, come up!” I said, “I, uhh, need to put my earrings on.”

The boys went up the stairs and opened the big white door that said “KatieElizabeth<3”.

“BOO!” Amy popped out. Michael jumped.

Zach’s eyes glowed as he looked at her. “Amy, is that you?”

“Of course it is.” She kissed him.

“I love you, princess.”



We all went out to separate places for dinner, and Michael decided to take me out to sushi. I sat down at the table and didn’t touch the menu. “You already know what you’re getting?” He smiled.

“Yessir.” I said.

The waiter came up to our table, “Any drinks or orders?”

“Umm, I’ll have a Sprite.” I said.

“And can I have a Mountain Dew?” Michael said.

“Coming right up.” He smiled.

“I think that waiter wants to hit on you.” Michael laughed.

“Shut up.”



When we got to the Hilton, the whole lobby was packed with people in dresses and tuxes. “It’s so pretty here!” Amy’s eyes widened.

“Not as pretty as you.” Zach put his arm around her.

We all went into the ballroom and it honestly looked so gorgeous. It wasn’t a cheesy prom. The theme was neon. So there were neon lights everywhere and there was music blasting from the speakers. It was great. I grabbed Michael’s hand and led him to the dance floor. “Wanna dance?” He said.

“Obviously!” I said, looking around. Everyone was grinding on each other. This was awkward. But at least a slow song came on. I put my arms around Michael’s neck, and he put his around my hips. “This is cheesy.” I chuckled.



After dancing, I went and sat at a table. Michael brought me some punch. “Is this spiked?” I asked.

“I sure hope not.” He took a long drink of it, “It’s not.”

“Good.” I sipped from my cup.

But then Amy approached me, frantic. “Katie.. Just… AH.”

“What?” I said, trying to calm her.

“Katie… f-f-f-fainted…”

“Oh my God.”



The boys carried Katie to Cameron’s car, and we all drove to the hospital. All of us.

I sat criss-cross on the hard linoleum. Emi was sitting on a plastic chair, Nathan holding her hand. Amy was sharing a chair with Zach. The only person who wasn’t sitting was Cameron. He was standing next to Katie, holding her hand and praying.

“She JUST fainted, you guys…” I murmured. “She’s not dying.”

“But I feel like I wasn’t looking out for her…” Cameron said.

“Cameron, shut up.” Amy said, “You’re a great boyfriend and you know it. You know what Katie told us when you guys first started dating freshman year? She kept saying that you were such a good boyfriend, and you were only dating for a month. A month!”

Katie’s eyes fluttered open, “What happened?”

“You fainted.” Michael said. “I told you to start eating again. But you won’t fucking listen.”

“I was… trying to be skinny.” She said, picking at her manicured nails.

“Katie Elizabeth Bryant,” Cameron grabbed her chin, “You’re beautiful the way you are and you shouldn’t change yourself because you’re ‘fat’. You’re not fat. You’re perfect. I love you, listen to me.”

She smiled weakly, “I guess so. I love you Cameron.”

I put my head on Michael’s shoulder. “That’s so cute.”



So then a few hours later, we missed half of prom. So we decided to go back to our houses to change. I threw on a t-shirt and jeans, and then we all headed to play laser tag. Boys versus girls. Whoever lost buys the pizza.

Girls won.