This Is How We Live.

I wake up, I first think of you.

I studied the two college applications hard. They were completely identical, except one said “University of California, Irvine” and the other “San Diego State University”. I grabbed my favorite black pen from my Hello Kitty mug on my desk. I wrote “Reyes, Janine M.” on both applications, sealing my name on them. My phone began to buzz and ring. I didn’t bother to look at it, so I simply reached out and grabbed it. I looked at it. “New Message: Bubby.<3” I clicked “read” and it said: “I’m coming over. Lol whether you like it or not. I’m bored as fuck.”

“Yeah. K. I’m filling out apps tho.” I replied. But before the message even sent, Michael was already on his way up the stairs. He must’ve come across Jaylene in the hall, since he was carrying her with one arm when he entered my room. I twisted in my spinny chair, “Hey.”

“Hi.” He kissed me on the cheek, “What’s good?”

“Well, I’ve only written my name on these apps. Last, first, middle initial.” I studied the two pieces of paper once again.

Michael pulled up a chair next to me, “Now fill out your birth date.”

I filled it out.

“And then do whatever else.” He turned on my laptop, so he could use it.

I sighed dramatically, “I need a break from it all.”

“Wanna go out then?”

“I need to fill these out… Still.” I waved the applications in his face.

My phone began to buzz and Michael picked it up without asking me. “Hello? Amy? Amy! Calm down! Why are you crying? Amy! Wait, talk to Janine.” He handed the phone to me.

I took the phone hesitantly, “Amy?”

She started babbling, and I couldn’t understand one second of it.

“Amy? Amy. AMY! Calm the fuck down.” I said sharply. She quieted down and took a deep breath. “Good. Now what happened?”

“I got cheated on.” Her voice was thick with anger and tears.

“What? Why? This is impossible.” Michael looked at me with worry as I yelled into my phone.

“No. Katie called me. Saying that they were all at a party last night. And everyone got drunk. And Rebecca and Zach hooked up. And and and…” She started crying again.

“But why would he even?” I said.

“I DON’T KNOW!” Amy cried out. I had to hold my phone a few inches away from my ear for a few seconds. She was THAT loud.

I dialed up Katie and joined her into the call. “Katie Elizabeth! Why wasn’t I at this party?”

“Sorry!” She said, “It was a cheer team slash jock party.”

I glared at Michael. HE was a jock. “Wait, talk to Michael.” I handed the phone to Michael. He looked at me cluelessly and I whispered, “Just go with it!”

“Fine.” He mouthed.

I took his phone from my desk and dialed “Zach” in his speed dials. He picked up after three rings. “Hey Michael!”

“ZACH. How could you cheat on Amy? I thought you really loved her! How could this happen!” I babbled.

“Janine. Janine! Hear me out right now.” He sighed.

Michael tried calming the girls down on my phone “SHUT THE FUCK UP!” He yelled, annoyed with their girl talk.

Zach started saying what he wanted to, “Look. I was drunk. I didn’t know what the hell I was doing.”

“Well maybe you should’ve gotten the fuck out when you saw the alcohol.” I said sharply.

“I can’t just LEAVE in the middle of a party.” He said. “Especially a cheer team party. Cheer team parties are great.” He said, sounding sketchy.

“Zachary David motherfucking Porter, listen to me. You just broke your girlfriend of, what? A million years’ heart and you’re here telling me that cheer team parties are great. You need to fucking apologize to her before it’s too late or else I’m gonna shank your ass.”

He sighed, “I’m sorry. I really am.”

I scoffed, “You’re just saying that. Because you want me to hang this phone up and leave you alone. If you really loved her… You would apologize.” And I hit end. I grabbed my phone away from Michael, who was now playing on it. I guess he got pissed and hung up. I sighed, “Gotta finish this now. I need to mail it in by tomorrow.”

“Well, I’m gonna go home now, ok?” He kissed my cheek and before I could even respond, he was out my door. I tapped my pen on my desk, wondering what I was gonna write for my application essay.

I stayed up writing, revising, and typing until two in the morning about how my friends have drastically changed my life. I ended up crashing on my desk. And when I woke up, I looked like a raccoon. I woke up to ‘New Message: amybestfriend(:’

“I’m still mad at Zach. But we Skyped last night… & I think things are fine.”

“That’s great!” I replied.

As the message sent, Katie stormed in my house, her eyes red. She jumped onto my bed and screamed into my pillow. “I can’t fucking take this!”

“What?” I said, confused.

“I got kicked off.”

“Off what?”

“The fucking cheer team!” She yelled.

“What? Impossible.”

“No. Way possible. I blew up at Becca because of the Zach thing and she kicked me off the team.” She cried into my pillow. “I’ve been cheering since fifth grade! How could she?!”

I sat on my bed, and patted her back. “You still have your bunch of sports going for you…”

“But cheer was my one and only.” She said, getting up and wiping her tears.

My phone began to buzz, and it was a call from Zach. I looked at my screen, confused, but hit ‘Accept’ anyway. “Hello?”

“You know what Janine? I did it. I flew out to New York. To prove to her I love her. But now I see her with this… GUY.”

“Whoa, wait, Zach, what?”

“I flew out to New York.”

“Fast forward.”

“Amy’s with a guy.” He said, angrily.

“Wait…” I paused and looked at Katie. “I’ll um, get Cam to call you or something.”

Katie looked up, “What was THAT?”

“Zach’s in New York.”

“Awww!”

“But Amy’s with someone else.”

“Wait, what? Hold on, lemme call this bitch right now.” She whipped out her phone and dialed Amy.

After three rings, Amy picked up. “Hello?”

“Amy, why were you with a guy?” Katie was PISSED. And everyone knew you didn’t wanna cross her when she was pissed. She had a frying pan.

“Oh, Eric?” She said, “What about? WHY ARE YOU PISSED?”

“Because Zach’s in New York!” I yelled.

“Huh? Zach’s in New York? What?”

“THE FUCK, AMY?! You didn’t know? Oh my God, he went to see you yesterday but you were with a guy!” Katie yelled into the phone.

“Whoa! Be quiet! My God, I need to fix things with Zach. Oh my God.” She began to panic.

“Amelia Michelle Davis. Don’t panic.”

“I HATE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME AMELIA.” She snapped.

“Geez, sorry. Okay, go call Zachary RIGHT NOW. Ask for where he’s staying.”

“Um, okay.” She hit ‘End’.

I turned to Katie, “Now what do you wanna do?”

“We can pick Em up and go to the mall…”

“We can’t. She’s having a date with Nathan. I don’t even know.”

“Ugh!” She groaned. “I think I’m just gonna hang out with Cam today.”

“Leave me!” I yelled sarcastically.

“Love you!” She yelled as she went out my door.

I drummed my nails on my thigh.

I pulled out my phone. “What are you doing tonight?” I texted Michael.

“I can’t hang out, bubs :/. I have to promote the band outside the JB movie premiere.”

I felt bummed, but I still felt okay about it. I had a million other things to do today. Not.

Michael texted me two minutes later, “Are you mad?”

“No. It’s fine. :)” I texted back.

“Okay, good. (:”

“<33538658397537465839 x”



Later, Amy texted me. “Zach never picked up. I learned he was on a plane back to San Diego. I miss him :/”

“Is everything better?”

“Yeah. :D Thank you soooo much for helping me! Love you, hun<333”

“No probsss.<3”

And as that message sent, I gained a new one. “I’m sorry I couldn’t hang out tonight. Tomorrow, I promise :) By the way, you need to finish your appsss.”

“I DID, bitchhh.” I texted Michael back.

“Good! See you tomorrow. <3”

I still felt frustrated. He’s never told me he loves me yet. Well, I guess it comes with this relationship.