This Is How We Live.

So I know it's alright.

I studied my emerald green dress in the mirror and my gold graduation gown hanging on my closet door. “Today.” I sighed. I was valedictorian, so I quickly grabbed my speech notes from my desk. “Today’s the day.” I tilted my head, and studied my figure. This dress made me look fat. I grabbed my strappy heels and put them on. And then I grabbed the cap and gown from my closet door and threw them over my arm. I didn’t have to change until we got to the school anyway.

“Janine, are you ready yet?” My mom called.

“Yeah! Just a sec.” I secured my bracelet clasp and headed downstairs.

Tears filled my mother’s eyes as she looked at me, “You’re growing up!”

“Mom, don’t cry!” I begged.

A car honked in my driveway, “Oh! That must be Emi. I’ll see you at graduation Mom.” I headed out the door, and got in Emi’s car. In it was already Nathan and Katie.

“Hey!” Katie said, cheerfully.

“Hi, love!”

“Today’s the day… Valedictorian!” She nudged my ribs.

I smiled, “Graduation day. Full of tears… And parties.”

“Make sure you have no drunken hookups.” Nathan laughed.



We finally got to the school, and entered through the gym’s back doors. In there, we met up with Cameron, Zach, and Michael. “Hey!” they all said simultaneously.

Michael squished me in for a hug. We were doing great at this just friends thing. But to be honest, I miss him. He tried to pull away, but I clinged on to his waist. He smiled at me.

“Come on, Janine!” Emi motioned for me to go to the bathroom with her, “We have to go put our caps and gowns on.”

I pulled away from Michael, “Okay!” I followed Emi into the bathroom with my gown over my arm and my cap on my head.

“Do you still like Michael?” Emi said softly.

I glared at her, “Yes.”

“But then why’d you break up?”

“Because I get jealous easily and I’m insecure. Emi, they were called by Disney. Disney! They’re gonna get big soon. And what am I supposed to do when they’re on tour, seeing a million pretty girls a day?”

“It’s called trust, Janine.” She said, patting my back, “You need to trust Michael. He’s not gonna cheat on you. He loves you.”

“He hasn’t ever said it though.”

“But he’s shown it. Right?”

I raised an eyebrow at her, “Right. Damn it, Em. I made a mistake and I don’t know how to fix it!”

“Because you hate admitting you’re wrong.”

I chuckled, “Yes, Emi.”

We put our gowns on and decided to walk around the football field. There was already the stage there, decorated with a whole bunch of cheesy decorations. There were chairs laid out on the field too. I couldn’t believe I was graduating already.



The ceremony started, and I immediately saw my parents and Jaylene sitting on the bleachers. My dad just got back from a business trip, and I was excited that he got to see me graduate. I looked at the stage, trying to listen to the principal drone on about this year’s senior class. I looked over at Cameron, since he sat next to me, and whispered, “This is boring.”

“I know.” He mumbled, and fidgeted with his hands.

They finally called me up on stage to give a speech. I held on to my index cards tightly. I felt as if they were about to rip. I got on stage and looked at everyone in the crowd. I sighed, and started, “Well, this is nerve wracking. Anyway, this year’s senior class was, um, very diverse? But I still remember when we were all freshmen. Starting high school. Everything is different now. And I mean that in a good way. High school has taught me lots of things. It taught me some skills in life I would like to keep. It taught me that you get your heart broken, and each time it’ll hurt more and more. High school has taught me that if they’re real friends, they’re around during your best and worst. It taught me that trusting people was harder than I thought. We’re all going different ways now, after this day. But I just wanna let everyone know—students, faculty, parents—that high school isn’t as bad as everyone says. Here’s to the senior class.” I bowed my head down and heard applause all around me.

I walked back to my seat, and Cameron was there, smiling, “You did a really good job, Janine.”

“Thanks.” I smiled.



Eventually, we all got our diplomas (I didn’t trip on stage! Yay!) and we all threw our caps in the air. I quickly found the girls and we all took a picture together. Amy was visiting for graduation, and she made her way down to the field. “Congrats, grads!” She smiled.

“Amy!” I yelled, and ran up to her.

Cameron went to Katie and kissed her, “I love you, Princess.” She giggled.

Nathan picked Emi up and spun her around.

Zach barged into our circle, and his eyes lit up when he saw Amy. “Amy!” He said excitedly.

“Zach!” She flew into his arms and squealed, “I missed you, babe! Congrats, grad!”

He kissed her, “I miss you so much!”

I aww-ed at them. Michael made his way to me and put his arm around my waist, “I liked your speech.”

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“Can I.. talk to you real quick?” He said.

I walked away from the crowd, “Uhh, yeah.”

“Janine, I don’t know why I let you go.”

“You didn’t let ME go, Mikey. I let you go.” I looked down.

He tilted my head up, so I looked straight into his eyes. “Same thing. But the thing is, Janine. I miss you. I love you. I’m in love with you.”

I smiled, tears welling up in my eyes. “Oh, THE Michael Martinez is in love!”

He wiped the tears from my eyes, “Yes. And with THE Janine Reyes. I love you.”

“So, when are you leaving?”

“In one week. For one and a half months. We’ll make it work, right?” He pulled me in for a hug.

“Of course it will, bubby! We can video chat or call each other when you’re not busy. And when you come back, I promise you that we’ll still be together.”



I watched Michael pack all of his things into a suitcase. His flight was leaving in two hours, and he procrastinated on packing. “Should I bring this?” He held up one of my bracelets I thought I lost.

“That’s my hella old bracelet I made with my name on it!”

“You want it back?”

“Keep it.” I laughed.

“I’ll wear it everyday. Just for you.” He kissed my cheek.

A car honked in the driveway, “Michael.” I said, starting to cry.

He held me close and whispered, “I love you, okay?”



I watched the boys drive off to the airport, and all I have to say that it felt like seconds since they drove off to when they came back. I noticed Zach’s mom’s car in Michael’s driveway, and I immediately went downstairs and flew into his arms. “Babe!”

“I missed you!” He smiled and kissed me.

“I missed you too. A lot. I can finally kiss you again, bubs!”

He laughed, “Wanna hear about our demos?”

“Yes, please!” I grabbed one of his suitcases.

“Well, they sound really good. You’re gonna love them.”

“That’s amazing!”



Before I knew it, it was fall. We were all going to college. I already got an apartment in Irvine and Michael and I agreed on seeing each other almost every weekend. Sometimes, I’d drive back to San Diego, sometimes, he’d drive up to Irvine.

Zach and Amy are still together. (Obviously.) And they’ve been doing great at this long distance business. For being on opposite coasts, Zach does sure visit a lot.

Katie and Cameron have actually been really good. They go to the same college, they got an apartment together, and I’ve never seen Katie happier in her eighteen years of existence.

Emi and Nathan have been… I dunno, rocky? They’ve been fighting an awful lot lately, but it seems like all they do is just kiss and make up.

The boys are touring soon, and Amy’s gonna be their new merch girl. Katie’s gonna visit them during every concert they’ll have near us. Emi’s supporting Nathan through everything. And I’m continuing college right now.

But every ending, brings a new beginning. This is mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter! Tell me if you've enjoyed it. Thank you for reading<33