This Is How We Live.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Michael caught up to me on my way to first period, “Hey!”

“Hi!” I said cheerfully, trying to balance my AP chem, AP US history, and French 3/4 books.

“Overloaded much?” He stood in front of me and carried my books for me.

“That’s cute,” I chuckled. “Off to where?”

“…Algebra 3/4. I think. Oh wait, I think I’m going to PE. I’m not sure.”

“Check your schedule?” I suggested.

He laughed, “I will. Once I set your books down.” He set my books down on my desk for me.

“Bell’s ringing in one minute,” I checked my phone.

“Gotta go! See you in English?”

“Yeah,” I hugged him, “Bye Michael!”

Emily walked in and plopped her books on the desk next to me, “I’m. So. Tired!”

“Partying all night again?” I said, sarcastically.

“No,” she shook her head, “soccer practice.”

“I’m sorry,” I said as the bell rang. “Nathan’s not here?”

“No. He’s sick. Hopefully he gets better by homecoming.”

Right. Homecoming was this Saturday. I still needed a date, and my outfit.

I listened to Mr. Miller drone on about different American wars for forty minutes. Kind of. I was doodling.

“Janine!” he said.

“Huh?” I raised my head up.

“What was another name for the Seven Years War?” I can tell he thought I wasn’t paying attention.

I flipped pages in my notebook, “The French and Indian War.” I beamed.

“Good.” He said. “Now class, you have to complete the questions about chapter one, section four. Due Thursday. And no, you CANNOT do them Wednesday night.”

I managed to stifle a silent laugh, “Challenge accepted.” I skirted through the desks and made my way out. On to English. Then French. Then chem. Then lunch. Then dance. Then art. Then trig. Sigh. It was only Monday and I still had to do tons of things this week.

I walked to English, stopping by my locker, since I forgot to take out my copy of ‘The Scarlet Letter’.

(Michael’s POV)

God, PE was so boring. I got to English super duper early so I kicked back and put my feet up on my desk.

“Mr. Martinez.” Ms. Chavez cleared her throat.

I looked at her and put my feet back down on the floor.

Janine walked—actually flowed—in, carrying her stack of books. I didn’t understand why her small frame could handle all of that. She set her books down on the seat next to me, “Hi.” She said in a whiny tone.

“Something wrong?” I said.

“Well. I have a whole bunch of classes and shit that I don’t wanna do. Plus, I still have to find a dress AND a date by Saturday for homecoming.”

Mannnn! I wanted to ask her SO BAD, but a huge lump formed in my throat. I managed an “Okay.”

“Yeah, and I’m just… really stressed.” She said, rubbing her forehead.

“I’ll buy you food at lunch. Deal?” I said.

She smiled, “A brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tart would be nice.”

“Got it.”

(Janine’s POV)

The next three classes zoomed by like nothing. Either because I fell asleep, or I was too busy writing down notes. I’ll go with the second option. I wanted to be class valedictorian, after all. I shoved all my things into my locker, and made my way to the cafeteria.

“Janine!” Brandon yelled my name from down the hall.

I turned around, “Yeah?”

“So, this Saturday. You wanna go?”

I put my hands in my back pockets and rocked back and forth on my heels, “Well…”

“Well what? DO YOU NOT WANT TO GO WITH ME?”

“I was just kidding with you! Of course I’ll go with you!” I said, grinning at him.

“You. Are. Amazing,” He said, kissing me.

We weren’t really dating, but he just kissed me. Whoa.

I walked to my table of friends, grinning. “Hi!”

“Someone’s happy!” Cameron said.

“I am VERY happy.”

“Why?” Amy shoved a fry into her mouth.

“Well… Brandon just asked me to homecoming!”

Emi high-fived me, “I don’t really like him, but if you’re happy, then so am I!”

Katie scoffed, “Rebecca went out with him over the summer. She still likes him because she talks about him all the time.”

Michael handed me my Pop-Tart, “Here.” He said flatly.

“Thanks!” I said in a bright voice.



(Michael’s POV)

Why the fuck would Janine even say yes? She’s only really known Brandon for a week. I wish she would just GET that I’m in love with her. Why can’t she see that? After school, I drove back home, speeding. I didn’t get a ticket, which was great. I just didn’t feel like doing homework when I got home. So, I went back in my car and drove to Forever 21, where Janine worked.

I opened the big glass doors and saw her shuffling around a rack. I could tell it was her, since she was short, and wearing her navy striped cardigan we got her for her birthday last year. And by we, I mean Zach. Cameron, Nathan and I. “Mikey!” She said, while organizing hangers.

“Hey.”

“Listen, I can’t really talk right now, but I’m gonna be off in about… half an hour? Wanna meet me at Pinkberry?” She smiled.

“Yeah.” The word poured out of my mouth. I couldn’t ever say no to Janine.

*30 minutes later*

Janine walked into Pinkberry, “Hi!”

I waved at her, “What do you want?”

“It’s fine, I can order for myself.” She giggled.

So, we ended up talking for three hours there. We walked around the mall a little bit, and I even helped her dress shop.

“Do you like this?” She twirled around in a strapless silk blue dress. “I think it makes my arms look fat.”

“You look fine in it! Don’t worry!” I replied. I really wanted to tell her, “You’re beautiful. In everything you wear.”

She smiled, “So should I buy it? I don’t think Brandon really likes blue though…”

I hated when she talked about Brandon. But if she’s happy, I’m happy right?

“Excuse me, is this in another color?” She asked the fitting room lady.

“Yeah! It’s in gold, dark green, and hot pink too.”

“I’ll take it in gold!”

The lady handed her a gold dress, and a few minutes later, Janine was twirling around in this dress that made her look truly beautiful. It fit her perfectly, and the color was really nice.

“This is the one,” she whispered, looking at herself in the mirror. “I can’t believe I’m going to homecoming with HIM.”

I wish I was that ‘him’ she was talking about, though.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave me comments, yeah? And sub! And thank you for reading :)

xoxxo, Pam