Status: Working on it!

Remember the Best Hours

Chapter Fourteen

Haylee’s POV

The first thing that comes to mind as I walk off is, I just walked over and spoke to Steven Chris like I’ve done it a million times before, with other guys, and not had a worry in the world…
Now that’s an odd thought, I realize, startled as I stop walking. I mean, I’m Haylee. The quiet, shy one. The one who always lets her friends do the talking around people who are-well, not friends. I’m the one who’s always paranoid, and over thinks too much, so how did I manage to just walk up to him like that and start talking to Steven Chris? It’s not like I like him or anything-like Jay does hehehe-but, that’s not something I’ve ever done before. I didn’t even think about it, I just walked up to someone I’ve never spoken to before with such confidence, knowing that he liked Jay…

I decide that standing in the middle of the cafeteria with a baffled expression on my face is not the best idea, and make my feet move as I continue thinking over this tiny event that could have seemed like nothing, but to me, it starts to make me think…

It was only Saturday when I ran into an attractive guy at the park and basically jumped from fright and ran away, hoping he didn’t get a good enough look at my face to even recognize me if he saw me again.

So what’s wrong with me?

Not that it’s a bad thing, actually, this is awesome! I feel more confident. But why?

What had happened between Saturday and now to make me…less shy? At that thought one word suddenly runs through my mind. Actually, a name.

Andy.

Not just Andy, the whole series of events that happened yesterday. That must have somehow triggered this self confidence. Well think about it Lee, you spent the day with Short Stack. This is the band who you went to the meet and greet for, only a few months ago and whilst in line went to take a photo of them behind the desk, but when Andy looked at you, at least 5 people behind in the line, you felt rude and quickly dropped the camera, looking away.

And just yesterday I was so comfortable around the three of them I was nowhere near as shy as I usually am. And it’s suddenly…I don’t know. This is a weird feeling, but I like it.

I haven’t realized where exactly I am going, I had just been letting my feet lead me anywhere as my thoughts circled around this sudden realization. It’s now that I realize that I’m standing in front of one of the music practice rooms. Not just any of them, my favourite one. I don’t know what it is about this little sound proofed room that makes it different from the others not unlike it, but I always chose this one over them. I smile and walk inside, closing the door behind me. I don’t have my guitar with me, but my knowledge of the music rooms is confident in that one of the schools acoustics would be sitting in there. And there is. I walk over and pick it up; luckily it isn’t as badly treated as some of the other acoustic guitars the school owns. A lot of them have holes in them, some of which would be covered up with tape, but still ruining the resonating sound of the guitar. This one doesn’t have any holes in it, but still has clear signs of use. I absent mindedly stare around at the little room. It’s only about 2x3 metres in size, but it doesn’t need to be that big, there are other rooms that can accommodate for a lot of people. What is it about this one that I like? It’s basically like the others, the same holes in the walls, some of which are covered up with laminated sheets of paper displaying a decibels chart showing how long it takes for you to go deaf with different volumes, some of which covered with tape like the guitars, and the rest gaping open for everyone to throw rubbish and who knows what in. The carpet has the same stains from people spilling food, just like the other rooms as well, the same scribbles on the desk that was pushed to the side. I shrug and start playing a random song on the guitar, not thinking of anything in particular, I just…want to play. I don’t think the events of yesterday have changed the over thinking part of me. I mean, look at yourself Lee, your doing it right now, over thinking, ‘why am I suddenly so confident?’ ‘Why do I like this practice room the best?’ ‘Why am I always over thinking?’
I sigh and clear my mind as I actually focus on what I’m playing. To my surprise, I realize I’m playing Drop Dead Gorgeous. Actually, I have been feeling kind of odd this morning, but I guess it’s probably just come with the confidence thing. It can’t have been just spending the day with Andy, Bradie and Shaun could it? And I did have that dream about Andy last night…

“Haylee?” Caity waves her hand in front of my face and I jump, spinning in my chair, before letting out a breath of air.

“Geez Caity, you scared the hell out of me,” I say.

“Sorry, I went looking for you and Jay and found you here staring off into space with the weirdest smile on your face.” She says, smirking. “What were you thinking about?” I realize I’m still playing Drop Dead Gorgeous, and set the guitar aside.

“Uh, nothing in particular…hey, didn’t you have to go see the principal?”

“Yeah, he wasn’t happy with me, but eh, it wasn’t anything new,” she grins. I laugh. “So do you know where Jay is?”

“She was in the cafeteria with a shocked expression on her face last time I checked.”

“…Why?”

“Because I asked Steven Chris if he liked her and he said yes.”

“Wait…you spoke to Steven Chris?! One of the hottest guys here?”

“Yes,” I say, remembering my flow of thoughts from before.

“Now even I know that’s unlike you.”

“What’s unlike me?” I ask, wanting to know what it is other people see me like.

“To go up and talk to the hottest guy here! Who, by the way, you’ve always said you could never just walk up and talk to like Lenny does!” So Caity does remember a lot of the things I say.

“Lenny talks to Steven Chris?”

“No, she goes up and talks to any hot guy she sees.”

“Oh, well I don’t know, I was helping Jay. It was nothing.”

“Something is off about you this morning…” Caity noted.

“No idea what you’re talking about,” I say, before the bell rings. “Oh, look at that, time for home class!” I say, walking out of the practice room. A quick glance over my shoulder as I walk down the hall indicates Caity isn’t following me; she isn’t in my home class anyway. In fact none of my friends are, which is annoying, but I learnt to deal with it, it’s only home class.

---

During the usual worst 15 minutes of my morning, sitting in the same seat I always do at the side of the classroom, I find myself thinking about what Jay had said in the cafeteria. she won’t be able to go and see the guys this arvo, I’ve been looking forward to that since we left the mall last night. That was pretty harsh of her brother, but then again, it’s Jay’s brother. Maybe we could somehow convince him otherwise, I mean, Jay smashed her guitar. That must mean she was looking forward to seeing them as much as I am. I let my thoughts lead to what might happen this afternoon. When I get to see Andy again…

Not just Andy, I remind myself. Shaun and Bradie too. It still seems unreal that yesterday actually happened. But it did, and I get to see them again after school…

“Haylee, the bell has gone,” my home class teacher’s voice rings through my ears, cutting off my thoughts. “You should be going to your first class.”

“Oh, right…” I say, grabbing my books and walking out of the room. I’m not usually this distracted, am I…?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! MaddnessAtMidnight here :)
I think that is the most italics i've ever used in a chapter, and maybe Haylee thinks a little too much in this one, i dunno, might have something to do with the fact i spent today re-reading City Of Glass to refresh my memory because CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS IS OUT! WOOOH! (for anyone who has no idea what i'm talking about, go out and find a book called City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Then read City of Ashes, then read City Of Glass, then read City Of Fallen Angels and you will know why it's so awesome :D) While reading it I was reminded of how much of a crappy writer I am compared to Cassie Clare. I mean, DUDE! She created Jace Wayland. Bitches love Jace Wayland (sorry for the tumblr meme there, couldn't help myself xD) anyway, i guess i noticed how my writing usually only consists of dialogue and tried to fix it. Dunno how well i did with that, but i guess either way this chapter was mainly Haylee reflecting about stuff which automaically makes it not as great as the others but oh well. Hope you guys are enjoying it!
Appreciating the comments :) The few people who have commented are awesome by the way! just thought i'd mention that