Pretty Badass

Chapter 2: Scouting.

Rumors spread pretty quickly around here. Especially when there’s a new kid after the year begins, even more so when the new kid was a Nazi. Yea, we weren’t exactly the nicest bunch of prep kids. Stereotypes weren’t non-existent here. Besides, there were probably only 3 other white kids in the entire high school. So when a new blonde showed up, people got to talking. Of course, I knew everything I needed to know by 2nd Period. It was English Honors. I saw her on the other side of the room.

“Would that be the new girl?” I asked the people around me. Seated around me were Belle, Ellen Johnson, Nicolette Ethel, Ethan Cross, and Maeve Jackson. Maeve was new, but I liked her right away. She was in three of my classes. Nicolette looked over at her. “It would appear so…” That’s what I liked about her. She talked more old-fashioned than I did.

Nicolette, Maeve, Shay, a girl named Katie Wexler and I made up a sort of semi-clique. Maeve and Shay was a part of my regular one, but the five of us bonded rather amazingly. And I was wondering if this girl was special enough to be a part of us as well. I exchanged glances with Nicolette and Maeve, for we were able to communicate easily this way. Maeve shrugged, but I knew she would go for whatever I said. Nicolette – the real leader of us – simply stared at the girl, contemplating. She glanced at me, and in her black eyes I saw that she needed more information.

Later that day, in Health class, I had a chance to interact with her. I’d founded out that her name is Lily. We didn’t exactly talk, but I got her attention. She sat in front of me, and a girl in my homeroom named Amanda Alvarez sat next to me. Apparently, Amanda wanted Lily next to her. She asked me to move.

Now me, I always like to leave an impression among the newbies, the frosh. If it were anyone else, I would have moved- no worries. But from the very moment I met her, I wanted her to like me. So - all this took place in my mind under 3 seconds - I decided to pull my whole dramatic act.

“Hmm. I might move, but only if you give me a dollar.” I said, thinking she wouldn’t do it.

“What? Are you serious?” Amanda asked incredulously. I smirked and turned back to face the board.

Two seconds later, a crisp one dollar bill landed on my table. I looked up at Amanda with an eyebrow raised. We never brought excess money to school. We simply brought enough for a morning coffee and lunch.

“There you go.” She said, smiling.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I picked up my stuff and traded seats with Lily. “Sorry, Josie.” Amanda said, resting a hand on my arm. “I just wanted my friend next to me.”

I pretended to look hurt. “Your friend? So I’m not your friend?” I put my hand over my heart. “Gosh, I’m hurt.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lily smile.

“Oh no, you know what I meant, Josie!” Amanda said, probably thinking I really was upset. I’m a convincing actress. I turned away from her again and sighed, resting my head in the palms of my hands.