All for Helena

Chapter 4.

When Helena got home the next morning, I sat her down on the couch and began to explain Frank's appearance.

“Helena, sweetie, one of Mommy’s friends is going to come over today. Be polite to him, okay?” I asked, bending down to talk to her at eye level. She nodded.

“Okay Mommy,” she smiled. She turned on the TV and began to sing along to the ‘Fairy Odd Parents’ theme song. As I was cleaning up a little, there was a soft knock on the door. I placed Helena’s shoes in the closet and opened the door. Frank Iero was standing there, his hands shoved into his tight jean pockets. He smiled at me.

“Hey Ryan,” Frank said. I smiled at him.

“Hi Frank. It’s really great to see you again,” I said. I stepped aside. “Come in,” I insisted. He nodded and walked in.

“This is a nice apartment,” he said, running his hand along the wall as he walked down the hallway. I shrugged.

“I wouldn’t know about that. It’s the best I can afford. Barely,” I sighed, watching him look around the crappy kitchen. When I said I could barely afford the apartment, he looked at me and frowned.

“This has to suck,” he sighed.

“What has to suck?” I questioned, placing the dirty dishes on the table in the sink.

“Having to support yourself, a child, pay for an apartment, and without any help from your parents,” he explained. I shrugged.

“After 8 years, it got easier. The only real problem is keeping it all from Helena. When I’m having problems with payments,” I said. I looked from the living room and then at Frank. “Would you like to meet her?” I smiled. He smiled like the Cheshire Cat and nodded. I ushered him into the living room, where Helena was still watching cartoons.

“Helena. This is my friend Mr. Iero,” I said. Frank sat down next to her. She smiled at him politely.

“Hello Mr. Iero,” she said, having a little trouble with his name. Frank noticed her slight difficulty and smiled at her.

“You can call me Frankie, how ‘bout that?” Frank asked. She nodded excitedly. Frank laughed. I watched him interact with Helena, talking about the cartoon they were watching and butter sandwiches. It made me smile. If Frank’s this amazing before he found out Helena was his daughter, I wonder what he’ll be like after he finds out. After an hour or so, Frank’s phone rang. He stood up and walked into the kitchen to take it. When he hung up, he frowned at me.

“I have to go,” he sighed, clearly upset. I sighed too.

“Someone has to break the bad news to Helena. She really seems to like you,” I said, looking at her. Frank smiled. Then, he asked me a question that I hadn’t quite expected.

“What happened to her father?” he asked. I looked at him.

“If you don’t mind my asking,” he added quickly. I gave him a faint smile.

“I crushed on him all through high school, but never knew his name. On graduation night, at the school party, I went home with him. Stuff happened and pop! Here’s Helena,” I said.

“So, it was a one night stand?” Frank asked.

“An accidental one,” I sighed. “And I feel so whorey,” I added. Frank laughed a little.

“You’re anything but,” he reassured. I smiled at him.

“I’m gonna go say bye to Helena,” he said. I watched as Frank said goodbye to Helena, and promised he’d come back. On his way out, he gave me his phone number.

“If you ever need help, paying for anything...Don’t hesitate to call me, okay? You two are amazing, and I’d hate to see something bad happen to either one of you,” he said. I smiled at him and hugged him tightly.

“Thank you Frank,” I said softly. He hugged me right back.

“It’s no problem,” he said back. Seriously, if I had to be knocked up, at least he was sweet.