The Boy With a Thorn In His Side...And His Lungs...And His Heart..

chapter 10

"Pete! Don't you don't know what he's into! He'll kill you!"

He didn't stop, only yelled back "He'll be doing me a favor!"
Before I knew it, we were there. I stood back watching, Carina had joined me.

I sighed, "It's my fault.I can't watch." I tucked my head into her shoulder but watched through my fingers, despite my claim.
Pete flung an unexpecting Gilb against the wall, landing himself right in the middle of his
group of friends. "Why the fuck did you do that to her?What has she ever done to you?!" he growled.

"Woah, take it easy, don't pull a gun on me!" Gilb said, holding his hands up.
I gasped and lifted my head, watching closer now. I figured when my eyes caught the look on Gilb's face I would find him smirking, but was stunned to find his face serious, if not a little scared.

Pete narrowed his eyes at Gilb, "What do you know?"

"I.. I just know what the rumor is.." he stuttered.
I was sure my jaw had hit the ground. My heart beat faster and faster with ever second.
"Hey man.. we aren't picking a fight with bullets.. just let Gilb go and we'll back off.." one of his other friends said, inching close to the two.
Gilb, who was still pinning against the wall, nodded.
Pete was cleary as shocked as I was.
I had expected emo jokes and people mocking him, acting like they were shooting each other or something.Damning the cops for coming before he had a chance to put the bullet in his head, but not this. They were petrified of him now!

"C'mon kid.. let him go.. they might not let you out as easy with five deaths on your hands.."

"Five?He didn't kill anyone.." I whispered to Carina.

She smirked,"The rumor must have gotten twisted around somewhere! They think he killed five people! They won't fuck with him!" she whispered back.
My jaw dropped more. They must have mistaken the four bullets for four deaths!

He slammed Gilb against the wall again, getting right in his face."You fuck with her again, or any of your friends and you'll regret it!" he said, letting him go.
Gilb stumbled away, tripping over his own feet as he kept an eye on Pete.

"What's going on?" Banker asked,pushing his way through the crowd.

Once he saw Pete, he stopped."What do we have here?"

"Break it up,break it up! Christopher Banker, I could've suspected!" the principle said, jerking Banker by the ear as his so called friends laughed.
I giggled,turning to Carina to hide it and to watch Banker being dragged.When I turned back to look at Pete, he was gone.

"Alright, shows over!" the coach said, shooing the rest of the kids away.
I walked with Carina looking around to see if I could find him but I didn't see him anywhere.

After lunch, I started the walk to the art portable on the other end of the school. I had my nose stuck in a V.C Andrews book as I walked. Carina had gym, which was the other way.
"Hey!" I jumped, my book flying out of my hands.

"Oh, you scared me...hey." I said.

Pete bent down and picked up my book,"I'm sorry to scare you.. I uh.. I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

"Thanks," I said taking the book from him and blushing and our fingers brushed,"it's my fault.. I shouldn't have ran."

He shook his head,"It's okay. I used to run too but you hit a dead end at some point." he shrugged.
I nodded.I hadn't noticed until now, really how cute he was.Then again, it was the first time I had seen him without a bloody nose or black eye.

"You have art?" I asked

He nodded,"I haven't been in a while."

I smiled,"It's my favorite!"

"I'm sure it would be mine too." he smiled back.

We walked a little further to the portable, no one said anything, but he stopped me right outside.
"So uh.. did you tell?About my parents..?"

"Oh..well..kinda. I mean I told a friend in the bathroom and we were overheard..but i told the truth.. about..the four shots and the three wounds..I'm sorry." I said.

He smiled slightly,"It's ok.Thanks really..it kinda...saved my ass."

"They're all scared of you." I basically whispered.

He laughed and opened to art door for me,"It's a nice change!"
♠ ♠ ♠
You know how that feedback is keeping me going right?