The Boy With a Thorn In His Side...And His Lungs...And His Heart..

chapter 11

The next day, as I walked through the hallways, it seemed like everyone had an unusual interest in me,staring at me as I passed.
I couldn't help but become a little confused.What had I done to attract the attention?

"There she is! Aww my poor baby!" Ashley said in a baby voice, pulling me into her arms.

I pushed her away,"What are you smoking?" I asked,glaring.

"Amelinda, don't be so rude. I just thought I would comfort my dear friend after word of her rape spread rapidly around the school." she smirked.
My jaw hit the floor as Ashley stood smirking at me while she twisted a strand of hair around her finger.

"You little bitch!" I spat.

Her expression changed from that smirk to a fake look of shock,"Oh my..how rude Melly.I thought we were friends. Besides.. I was only trying to help you!" she fake gasped.

I pushed her,causing the rest of her 'posse' to fall too,seeing as they were so far up her ass.

"Amelinda Charles! Stop it, now!" I turned to see my mother rushing towards me.
The other kids began to laugh and point calling out that my mommy was saving me.
She pulled me into a hug and started back towards the office as the coach and a few other teachers broke the crowd up.
I hadn't noticed until then that I had been crying, but I was.
I could still hear the kids laughing and I could feel my ears burning hot and their eyes on my back.
"Why did you do that?!" I screamed when we got in the car.

"Melly I just found out, the principle told me, I was coming to get you when you pushed her! I had to stop you!"

"I want out!" I said reaching for the handle of my mom's, now moving, red jeep.

She grabbed my hand,"Amelinda no!"

Please tell me it was a nightmare, please tell me it was just a nightmare. I pleaded in my head as I kept my eyes shut tightly.
Tell me it was all a nightmare, the kids at school,the tires screeching, all of it. Please let it be a nightmare.
I opened my eyes.
My dad rushed to my sides and my fear was confirmed as he hugged me.
"Thank God you're alright." he sighed.

"Yeah.. I'm okay...where's mama?" My voice was quiet.

He looked at me and I knew the answer.
I shook my head,"No.No. She isn't. It's my fault! It's all my fault!" I sobbed as he hugged me again and rocked me.
I thought the nightmares in my sleep were bad.But that was before I started living in one.

"The truck hit her side head on.." he explained between sniffles "they said she probably didn't feel anything. It's not your fault Amelinda, she let go of the wheel."

"I tried to jump out!" I screamed "It was my fault she let go of the wheel!"
He held me tighter and rocked me more,eventually I cried myself to sleep.

The next few days we went through the process of making funeral arrangements.
My dad had taken time off of work to be there with me through the waves of family,friends and neighbors that came to bring us food and pay their respects.
I didn't eat, and I barely got out of bed, and when I did it was to hang over the toilet and spill my stomach contents which was usually only water and pain pills.
I was actually pretty relived to get back to school and out of the mourning taking place in my house.
I didn't concentrate on school much though.The make up work was piling up anyway from the amount of days I had missed,I didn't care.
I kept an eye out for Pete but didn't see him until the end of the day, he was walking in the direction on home.
I had asked my dad to let me walk home so he could get back to work, so I caught up with Pete.
He had the hood of his red hoodie up and his hands tucked in his pockets, I only recognized him by the All Star patch on the back of his converse,which he had drawn some sort of bat around.
"hey Pete." I said,my voice lacking enthusiasm.

"hey." he muttered,looking down.

"you okay?" I asked.

He nodded,still not looking at me,"I'm sorry about your mom."

I sighed,"Thanks but i really don't want to think about it."

"I understand." he stated.
His voice was different..quieter..nothing like it was the last time I saw him,which was the day he held the door for me.
"You sure you're okay?" I asked again.

He sighed and looked at me, revealing a very bruised face.
I gasped,"What happened?"

He sighed again,"My parents came home yesterday,they had been in the hospital still.They kinda got me back I guess.." he said looking down.
I sighed.
This city was just too much pain for me and I wasn't staying here any longer, and neither was he.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sad.
Sorry it took a while, and thanks for everyone who told me to feel better =) it means alot!<33