The Boy With a Thorn In His Side...And His Lungs...And His Heart..

chapter 15

We drove deeper into the problem town and finally reached a junk yard.
"What are we doing here?" I asked looking around.

Pete sighed,"We're ditching the car.If we're lucky it will get crushed before it's found." he said glancing at me.

I nodded,"Are we going to walk?"

He sighed,"I don't know yet.It's walking or finding another car."
I sighed and nodded.

"I know a guy that will sell me one with no questions asked. All we do is give him the money and he'll sign a paper for us saying that he sold the car to us so it would be legit."

I nodded,"Where is he?"

"He's in Wilmette. I'll call him."

"Call him?How?"

"I don't know yet..pay phone?"
I nodded,looking around. Wilmette was alot different than Chicago now that I've seen both. Wilmette was more homes and Chichy was more stores and streets.Well, where we were anyway.
I sighed,"Well we better get going and look for a pay phone."
He nodded and got out and we started out long walk into the more city part of Wilmette, taking the woods as much as we could. I felt like a convict,then the more I thought about it I was. Grand Theft Auto and a hit and run, we were in for it if we got caught.
Finally we made it to a pay phone and Pete called the man. He arranged to come pick us up so we didn't have to walk to extra 3 miles to his house.
When we got there we checked out the car, made sure it would run and all and everything went smooth until it was time to pay..
"Mel, you have th money right?" he asked looking at me.

"I thought you got it out?Remember I locked it in the glove box?" I told him.
Don't tell me we left the money in the car,please don't.

His jaw dropped."I don't have it!! I thought you had it!! Oh my god are you kidding me?!"

I ran my hand through my hair,"Shit! We have to go back and get it!"

He nodded and started running. I looked after him like he was crazy then followed,"Pete!Wait!"
We ended up running the 3 miles back to the junk yard,Pete about 20 feet ahead of me the whole time.
I followed him into the junk yard as he stopped and looked around, I rested my hands on my knees and tried to catch my breath.

"Fuck where is it?!" he shouted as he began to run around the junk yard.
"We parked it over there Pete, it's gone, let's just go home and take the blame."

"NO! NO! You can wimp out if you want! I'm going! I take too much shit at home!" he yelled, kicking some old rusted can.

I sighed,"Don't yell at me for it! I never did it!"

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair,"I know,I know.I'm sorry."

I sighed and sat on the ground,catching the rest of my breath.
After a few minutes of silence he spoke up,"Stay here."

I looked up at him,"What?"

"Stay here." he repeated.

"Why?Where are you going?"

"Just stay okay?I'll be back later." he said as he started running again.

"Wait! No!" I yelled running after him but after I was about 100 feet behind I gave up.
"Damn him." I said kicking a rock that bounced off the sidewalk."Leave me alone in a junk yard,he's crazy." I sighed and sat on a bucket as hidden as I could but where I could still see the entrance of the junk yard and waited.
Finally he pulled up in the car we were going to buy from the guy. I stood and waved at him so he would see me, he pulled over and rolled the window down.
"How the hell did you get it?" I asked.

He shrugged,"I pulled a few strings."

I watched him,"Pete..what did you do?"

He shook his head,"I didn't do anything, I just..bribed him."

"With what?"
"fear..."

"Pete....what are you talking about." I asked watching him closer,studying his face.

His face was solid, no frown no smile, no sign of guilt or anything. "I told him I would turn him in.. I know what he's got going on in that place."
A small sigh of relief came from me as I opened the door to get in the car but was immediately erased when I saw what was in my seat.
"Pete! You didn't!" I yelled,holding up a silver gun that had been in my seat.
He froze and stared at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
3 in one day! Whoo! What did he dooo what did he do?!