The Boy With a Thorn In His Side...And His Lungs...And His Heart..

chapter 17

My eyes were plastered to the moving road in front of us. We were now out of Illinois for good, hopefully.
Pete had explained to me how we would choose a store with the least traffic at night on the near by roads, even though that meant less money. We couldn't afford to get caught.
"I can't believe this." I sighed as he circled the area he had chosen.

He sighed, "Look, I don't want to do this anymore than you do, but do you really want to quit and go home?"

I turned and stared at him. The bitterness in his voice had caught me by surprise. I hoped it was just nervousness that had his boxers in a knot and not what he was becoming.
He sighed and looked down, becoming very interested in his hands as we sat at a red light.
"You know I don't want to go home, you don't have to snap at me like that you know?" I retorted, my voice just as tensed as his was.
He nodded but said nothing.
Sooner than I had anticipated, we pulled up at the Seven Eleven.We weren't very sure of where we were, which made an escape sketchy if something should happen, we were just planning on nothing bad happening though..
He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, "We can't sit here long.. it'll look suspicious."
I nodded, not looking at him as he stared at me.
"You alright?" I could feel his eyes on me.

I nodded, "Fine."
He sighed and threw the car in reverse again. I jerked my head up in surprise.
"What are you doing?"

"You don't want to do it so I'm not." he said pulling out and back onto the road.

"Well did you expect me to like this?"

"No, but I don't like it either and you're being all pissy with me about it like I chose to do this! This was all your goddamn idea anyways!" he yelled, his eyes wild.

I nodded and bit my lip, "I tried to help you, I'm sorry for caring!"

"You-" he shook his head and stopped, pulling into a side road and getting out, slamming the door behind him.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled, opening my door and getting out to watch him.
He shook his head and kept walking, his hands tucked in his pockets and his head down.
I let out an angry sigh and got back in the car. I watched him walk further and further away from the car and wondered where he was going.
This really was all my fault and I knew it. I was the one who pulled his hand and brought up the whole idea, I was the one who left the money in the car. I really was only trying to help him.. I didn't know it would turn into all this..if anything I've hurt him more.
I glanced in the rear view mirror, he was no longer in sight.I debated getting out and looking for him but I decided to wait.I sighed and layed my head against the seat. I couldn't believe what I had gotten us into.

I must have been sleepy because I woke up to sirens wailing.
With a gasp I sat up and looked around, seeing three cop cars flying down the main road. I jerked my head to the other side only to find Pete still wasn't back.
"Oh no, oh no." I chanted to myself as I frantically looked around outside of the car."PETER?!"
Nothing.
"Dammit!" I swore, kicking the tire as I climbed in the drivers seat and sped off down the way he had been walking.
"C'mon Pete, please!" I begged as I searched all the side roads.
I jumped as something slammed into the side of the car. Suddenly, Pete stood up and frantically pulled at the handle of the passenger door. I reached over and unlocked it quickly and he threw a few paper bags into the backseat screaming "go go go!"
I put the pedal to the floor and did a u-turn so we would be going the right way again.
Once we were back on the main road and flying down the highway I glanced over at him.He was leaning back against the door and the seat breathing hard.
"Pete.." I started, "what did you do?"
He said nothing, only closed his eyes and shook his head, breaking into a coughing fit a few minutes after.
I looked from the road to him and back repeatedly as he continued to cough.
"Pete?What's wrong?"

"I robbed them." he said "The store. Didn't you hear the cops?"

"I saw them." I told him.

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, "We need to get as far away as possible."

I sighed, "South Carolina isn't far enough is it?"
He looked at me with an apologetic sigh.
I shook my head and took an exit that read Atlanta Georgia.
"What are you doing?" he asked.

I sighed, "We'll go through Atlanta to Alabama and wherever from there."

He nodded, "Are you okay?"
I sighed and nodded.
What next?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's short.
I have mad writer's block and a ton of homework to catch up on by next month.
I'm gonna have to work weekends to finish in time.
I'm really stressed.
Sorry my people.

Wanna do a favor for me?Answer these questions in the comments!

Do you have any guesses as to where they are going?
Any guesses to how it's gonna end?
What else will happen before the end of the story?
What would you LIKE to see happen?

This could give me ideas so if you want more, be a doll and fill it out. Please and thank you!<33