We've Got More Than We Know

But What If I Was?

“Tanner, I need a middle name!” I shot at him playfully as I was cradling our baby boy who was only a few minutes old.

“Um… uh… Carter!” he said suddenly while running his hand through his messy hair… that did look adorable.

“Aw, Mason Carter,” I smiled down at my bright-eyed boy.

In response, Mason yawned before he let his eyes close. I smiled and looked over at Tanner who was smiling just as much. I loved this little moment right now. Two months ago, I would have never thought I would be here with Tanner by my side. And now that the time’s here, I couldn’t imagine anyone else being right here with me.

“WAIT! I want to meet my nephew!” Keegan bolted through the door loudly.

He scared my baby! He is a scary guy. I’m not really shocked. Tanner went on to take Mason from me to cradle him while I gave Keegan the stare down. Before I could shoot anything at him, my parents along with the little Grant family came into my room.

“Where’s the nerdy baby?” Kirstie asked with excitement in her voice. “Aw,” she went on once her eyes traveled to Tanner.

She went over and stood next to him, looking at our son. Her forehead wrinkled up as she took in the baby’s features. Start the teasing…

“That poor boy,” Kirstie started.

“What now?” I asked, trying not to giggle.

“He looks like Tanner. He’s not going to make it in the world,” she teased.

“Tanner seems to be doing just fine in the world if you ask me,” I butted in as he came back over to me once Mason calmed down.

“No one asked you,” she snickered, making me roll my eyes.

“Let me hold him! Let me hold him!” Keegan started bouncing around.

“No… you’ll drop him!” I shot at him.

“I will not,” he groaned.

After a few more words and my mother telling me to let him hold my son, Keegan was holding Mason. Can you say scary? I made Tanner stand beside him.

“You know what little dude? I’m going to teach you how to snowboard,” Keegan smiled at his nephew.

“I think Tanner has you beat. He’s been looking at go karts already,” I smiled at the man that sat down next to me since Keegan seemed to be ok.

“That does not shock me,” Josh piped in through a giggle.

Keegan eventually handed Mason off so that everyone could hold him. Tanner stayed by my side, holding me. I loved it. Once my baby was back in my arms, Kirstie lifted Emma up on the bed and she slowly climbed onto my lap, unsure of this little bundle that everyone was making such a fuss about.

“Can you say baby?” I asked as she looked over at Mason who was staring back at her.

“Be-be,” she countered while pointing at Mason.

“Can you say Mason?” Tanner added with one arm around our baby.

“Mesen,” Emma giggled while clapping her hands together, making Tanner and I share a laugh along with everyone else.

“Does Mesen get his daddy’s last name like you two agreed?” Kirstie asked after everyone’s laughs quieted down.

“What is this about?” my mom asked, looking between Tanner and I.

“Since I was an idiot and wasn’t around until she was seven months pregnant, I told her that if I didn’t meet her expectations as her lover and daddy to be, Mason could have her last name. But if I met her expectations, he would have mine… and I have yet to find out,” he smirked down at me.

“What do you say, Emma? Has Tanny been a good boy?” I asked her since she hadn’t moved yet.

“Yea!” she squealed in her little toddler way with a big smile on her face.

“I’d have to agree,” I smiled over at Tanner.

“Yay! Now Tanner can ask Ky to marry him so that she’s not the odd ball!” Kirstie added.

“Kirstie, what if I was going to propose to her right now?” Tanner shot at her.

“You were?” she asked with her eyes wide.

“Maybe I was,” he told her with a straight face.

“Oh my gosh, you are,” she went on, making me shake my head.

“No… but what if I was?” he told her, making me laugh.

“You are mean!” she shot at him, making everyone join in my laughter.

“She’d be expecting it. I want her to be surprised,” he smiled down at me.

“I just love you… no matter what our last names are,” I told him.

“I love you too,” he smiled before he bent down to leave a soft kiss on my lips.

You know what Emma did? She made like a gagging sound at us. I immediately shot a look at Josh and Kirstie who had those innocent grins on their faces. Of course everyone else was cracking up. I just pouted and held Mason tighter before Tanner hooked his arms around both off us, completing our little family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Totally forgot I had to post next lol oooops

Ky, Tanner, & Mason

comment?