We've Got More Than We Know

Things Happen

“Hey, Toddie,” I called out to Todd as I was coming down the stairs.

Lately, Todd’s been staying at my house a lot. I’m not complaining. I love cuddling with him at night… and glad just to have someone here with me since Keegan’s off doing his snowboard thing.

“Would you mind running to the… store? Yeah… the store, and getting me a few things?” I went on, catching his gaze from the couch.

“For what?” he asked, looking at me as if catching my little lie.

“Um… I need milk. Yeah… we’re out,” I told him. I’m not good at this lying thing.

“Do you want me out of here?” he asked, looking at me sideways, but there was a little smirk there.

“Well, no… maybe a little… but just for a little bit,” I told him quickly.

“Can I ask why exactly? I mean, I’m not mad or anything,” he replied.

“Tanner’s bringing Mason home and I really wanted to talk to him about his… girlfriend,” I finally fessed up.

“You could have just told me to go away for an hour. You didn’t have to make up this lie,” he chuckled as he got up and pulled me into a hug.

“Well, I didn’t want you to feel like I wasn’t over him. It just bothered me that this chick that I don’t even know is around my son,” I sighed, holding onto him tightly.

“That’s understandable,” he told me, adding a kiss to the top of my head. “If you need me though, I’ll keep my phone on,” he countered once we parted.

“Thanks, Todd,” I smiled as I followed him to the door.

He returned my smile along with an I love you before he walked out to his truck. Once he was out of sight, I let out a heavy sigh and plopped on the couch, waiting for my son and his father to come. About fifteen minutes later, he was knocking on my door. After I answered it, my sleepy boy looked at me from his father’s arms.

“Are you tired, Mason?” I cooed while Tanner handed him to me.

“Sweepy,” he muttered while rubbing his eyes.

“Do you have a minute for us to talk?” I asked Tanner before he could leave.

He looked at me strangely before he nodded his head and stepped inside. I told him I would put Mason to bed and then come back down. He seemed a little uneasy about all of this. I really wanted to have sour feelings towards him, but… he is Mason’s father… and I can’t change that. I need to just deal with it and be civil with him for Mason’s sake.

Once Mason was tucked into bed, I went back downstairs and sat across from Tanner. A sigh came out of me while all of these thoughts swarmed aroud in my head. Where to start?

“I guess I should start by just saying that I’m not upset or hurt that you’re seeing someone. You have every right to date and try and find someone for you or do whatever you want to do with women,” I told him, stopping to make sure he was following what I was saying.

“But… it did upset me that this… woman was around my son that I didn’t know. And from just being around her for that short time at his birthday party, I don’t think she was ready to meet Mason,” I told him, voicing my opinion.

“I know… that was horrible,” he sighed, rubbing his hands over his face. “I just knew you would bring Todd and I couldn’t… be without someone,” he went on, shrugging.

“Are you… ok with Todd being around Mason?” I asked since he hadn’t really voiced his opinion and since we’re being honest right now without yelling at each other.

“I don’t like the guy,” he started, making me feel like this was going to go nowhere now. “But… Mason loves him,” he went on, making me snap my eyes back up to his. “He talks about him all the time. He adores that man. I know I’m not there all the time for him, but… Todd seems like a guy that could…” he trailed off.

“Tanner, I don’t want anyone to replace you. You’ll always be Mason’s father. And he knows that and I’m never going to tell him any different,” I told him.

“I’m sorry how things between us panned out,” he sighed, slowly bringing his eyes up to mine.

“Things happen, Tan. I’m not mad at you anymore,” I replied.

“You’re a good person and I do still have love for you and I always will,” he went on, bringing a smile across my face. “And that… girl that was at Mason’s party isn’t around anymore. I can’t be with someone who can’t be ok with being around my son,” he went once he stood.

“Todd’s the only guy I’ve been dating and the only one I’ve felt was ok enough to be around Mason,” I said, standing also.

“As long as he’s treating you and Mason right, that’s all I can ask for,” he smiled while I followed him to the door.

“Why couldn’t we talk like this all the time?” I teased.

“I know… it’s nice to not yell at each other and have a conversation,” he taunted back.

“I’ll see you Friday,” I told him while we shared a hug.

“Kiss our boy for me,” he said once we parted.

I told him that I would before he walked away. Once I shut the door, I felt this wave of calm and happiness come over me. For once, everything was just… right. Tanner and I aren’t constantly mad at each other. I’m in a steady, stable, loving relationship. My little boy seems happy… everything is just right and I loved it. Now… if only my Toddie Bear would come back so he can make me even happier, this night would end perfectly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just have guy ADD... and it happens to be extremely high when it comes to Tanner lol

Kylee

comment?

AND! Kirstie and I didn't really plan this, but there's going to be another sequel... so this is the last chapter for this one :) But Here is the sequel :)