‹ Prequel: Shattering Crystals
Status: Active

Twisted Returns

wings glittering with frost

"There's no hope of evacuation. Most of Cherymin Village is going to be lost."

Guards were everywhere in the training center. They speak about places with names that I only barely recognize.

"That's the name of the village I lived in," Lorraine says, looking over at the guards. "Cherymin."

"Oh... are you okay?" I ask, though it's not exactly a good question to ask.

"Yeah, I guess. I never met my mother. I don't remember her. I'm not losing anything but the chance to meet her."

"But that's still... terrible."

"I know. But it's happened. What else is there to do? I won't tell anyone here. I don't want them feeling sorry for me."

"I guess." I sit down on the floor and lean back against the wall. Lorraine does the same.

When we were told that we had to report to the training center, I honestly thought what the hell? But now that we're here, it all makes sense.

Since the room and simulate different environments, logically it can create other things too. Before everyone arrived, someone had switched it to a huge, comfortable bedroom.

The royal blue carpet is impossibly soft, covering both the walls and floor. There are plush chairs everywhere and a bed for each person. Apparently, the room had been custom designed just for us.

"I guess I'm worried," Lorraine says. "I know we're safe in here, but the people out there aren't."

"Nothing we can do, like you said."

Cody walks over, taking a seat beside Lorraine. "Don't be scared."

"I can't not be scared." She sighs. "But at least they didn't send you out yet."

"I wish they did. Better than sitting in this... padded cell."

"Don't say that. Do you really want to risk your life like that?"

"No," he says. "I don't want to die. But someone has to keep everyone else save. What would you do?"

"I would fight," she admits.

"Knew you would. I know you want to protect people as much as I do."

"I guess."

There's a knocking at the door. The guards check to see who it is. As soon as they approve, they open the door and in comes Steven, our guard from last night.

"A message for Serenity Illusen," he says.

Elise gets up from her chair, her eyes worried. Her voice is shaky when she speaks. "That's me."

"I am sorry to inform you of the deaths of Harmony and Melody."

"I - what? How?" Elise chokes on her own words, unable to form a complete sentence.

The second announcement of death since the war started about an hour ago. And that's just for people we know. At this rate... well, I don't want to think about it. Who else will we lose?

The names Harmony and Melody mean nothing to me. But then my brain matches the name to the face.

At five years old, they are Elise's younger sisters. She had met them yesterday... and now they are jerked away.

"Queen Marigold sends this picture." Steven holds out his hands and a photo materializes. It flies smoothly across the room and straight into Elise's hands.

Steven then turns and nods at the guards. His form starts to shimmer in a very familiar way... Seconds later, a great silver bird is in his place, its wings glittering with frost. Of course. They wouldn't assign just anyone to protect me.

There is a name for these bird people, but I can't quite remember. These bird people like... Aaron.

Elise stands there, her eyes staring into nothing. Two blows at once.

Everyone rushes to her side. We all whisper words of comfort that mean next to nothing. 'It's okay.' No, it really isn't.

Looking down at the photograph, I can see how she can never forget them, be reminded of them every time she looks in the mirror. They are her exact image (though not as skinny).

"Get Marigold," Cody says suddenly, and the guards shoot him a dirty look, as he didn't use her proper title.

"Why do you need the Queen?" a short, stocky guard asks. "She's busy."

"We have to talk to her. Like, right now. What about Katie?"

"The Commander is also busy. Whatever you need, come to us."

"Well, I'm not doing that," Cody mutters, turning away from them. "Dana, can't you talk to Marigold?"

"Not any more than you can."

"I wish these necklaces were activated," Cody says, tugging on his. "Then we'd have a direct connection to her."

"Wait!" I say, cupping the crystal on my necklace. "You guys might not have a connection to her, but I do."

"Well, hurry then!"

I tap the crystal three times. It glows and I say, "Marigold?"

Yes? Her voice sounds the same as it had been in my old body. But she told me that the connection is more direct. Which means she can see what I see, hear what I hear - on top of her own senses. I have no idea how she does it without going crazy.

"Speak," I say to Cody. "She'll hear it."

"I want permission to fight in the war."

Hold on, Marigold says. I'll be right there. The connection goes dead.

A few seconds later, there's knocking at the door.

The guards identify her and then let her in, dumbfounded. "But, Your Majesty, I thought you were busy? But-"

Marigold simply nods to them and walks over to us. "So... you want to fight?"

"Yes. And I thought we were adults," Cody says.

"You are. However, adults or not, you still have to pass the training."

"But most of the army didn't, and they are still fighting. They're just volunteers," Cody protests.

"You know how special you all are."

"You can't keep us here!" Cody nearly shouts. We can see he's straining to keep his voice down. "We've already lost family members!"

"Yes, but still." Her eyes drift over to where Elise stands, still clutching the photo.

"But... please." But even he knows it's hopeless.

"Very well," she says, (very) unexpectedly. "You may start in the morning."