‹ Prequel: Shattering Crystals
Status: Active

Twisted Returns

truly pure at heart

"What? I say, jumping up from my chair as my heart speeds up. I can't deal with an attack. Not again. "I thought there were barriers up!"

"There are," Marigold says calmly. Her eyes move like she's reading a screen in front of her, but it's invisible to everyone else. "They weren't put up by Crystallaria."

"I thought they were."

"No," Marigold says, her eyes moving rapidly. "We would unblock them to bring in outside forces, and evacuate, if that was the case."

"Luckily, though," Marissa says, "our military is much better than Crystallaria's." The comment would be considered offensive, but her soft voice makes it sound almost sweet, like she's telling us good news. But I suppose it is good news that they can defend themselves, yet at the same time, there shouldn't be a need for defense.

"I don't get it," Erik says. "Glitteria is a resort planet. Other than the planet itself, there is nothing to be taken."

"True," Marigold says. "They're attacking small villages right now. Prepare to send people in. This is just like the attacks in Crystallaria."

"Glitteria was initially not attacked," Marissa says. By now, everyone is either panicking or watching the conversation. "We were affected by the time freeze, yes. But there were no attacks here. Why now?"

"Your Majesties, I know why," a young man with long hair says. Everyone turns to see who he is. He points a finger directly at me. "It's her."

----Image

"So basically... we're stuck here," Cody says. He sighs and then looks down at his hands.

We're in a cellar under the Glitterian palace. It's supposed to be a secure room, but it doesn't look it. It looks more like a dungeon than anything. Our parents are out helping. With what, I don't know.

On the upside, we got to meet Dean's little sister. It was sad that Dean had never remembered even having a sister. (I didn't remember her either.) But meeting her again, so many memories came back.

The only other people in here are Cody, Katalina, Dean, and Alyssa. The people deemed most important. But we're alone, and I thought that there was going to be a guard or something. I guess the room is safer than it seems.

"Alyssa," Dean says. "What are you doing?"

She paces bask and forth in the cold, empty space. "I don't know," she says. "I just can't believe it. I have to help those people..."

Alyssa is nine, a princess, and truly pure at heart. I have never anyone as honestly good as her. A fairy of dreams, she wakes at night and turns everyone's dreams into honey.

"You heard that guy," I say. "It's my fault."

She shakes her head vigorously. "It's not. It's no one's fault. Whoever is attacking us is just greedy and selfish."

"You can say that... but I know it's my fault."

"How do you prove that?"

"I'm in Crystallaria. We get attacked. I'm in Glitteria. We get attacked. It's my fault."

"Doesn't matter whose fault it is," Cody says, cutting in. "What matters is when we're going to get out of here."

Once he says that, I reach for my necklace and connect to Marigold's network. The connection is more limited in Glitteria, so it's voices only.

"When can we move back to Crystallaria?" I ask. I don't expect Marigold to answer right away, as she could be busy, or just not connected to the network.

Soon, I hope. But I'm not sure if that's the best idea.

"Why not?" Everyone listens intently, wondering about the other half of this conversation.

The attackers will only follow us, and Glitteria has a better military to fight them off with. Plus, residents of Glitteria should stay in Glitteria.

"You have a point, but..."

At the same time we're debating. Glitteria has a higher population and more to lose. Maybe getting you out is best.

"Okay," I say. "I was just wondering." I close the communication.

I am at a loss for the right decision. I repeat the conversation to my friends.

"It makes sense that Glitteria has a higher population," Dean says. "I mean, half of Crystallaria is ocean."

I cringe when he reminds me of the ocean. I'm surprised to hear the fact, though. "How do you know that?"

He shrugs. "Studying."

"Nerd," Cody coughs, lightening the mood a bit. Dean rolls his eyes.

"Anyways," Dean says, "I think we should go back. It's where we've been and the rest of the Terrans are there."

"Yeah," Cody agrees. Everyone knows he wants to get back to Lorraine. "We can't just leave them."

"I want to stay here," Katalina says. "It is much more fun here."

"But fun isn't what's important!" Cody says, exasperated. "We need people to defend, and we can only do that in Crystallaria."

"That is true..."

"We've made it this far and we can't just run away."

"Char - I mean, Dean," Alyssa says," do you really have to go?"

"Yeah Aly. I think so."

"Then can I come? I missed you so much."

"You, you shouldn't," Dean tells her. "Once we leave, the attackers will follow. You stay here, they'll leave you alone."

"Why don't you stay then?"

"Because they need me."

It's silent after that, so I connect to Marigold again.

"When will we know what's going to happen?"

I will send you a message. Soon.

"Okay." I close the communication and look around. There isn't much to see, though - the whole room is dark and made completely of gray stone.

My friends all shift their weight uncomfortably, afraid to sit on the cold floor. I realize that my legs should be tired after standing here for so long, but they're not.

"Screw this," Cody says, leaning against the wall. He slides down into a sitting position.

Suddenly, a ball of glowing light appears in the center of the room. It illuminates the room's dark corners. Marigold's voice comes from it.

"We're going back to Crystallaria."