‹ Prequel: Shattering Crystals
Status: Active

Twisted Returns

fight for my home

"My - I - what?"

"I don't feel the magic..." Marigold says. "There's nothing there."

"Why?"

"I don't know," she says, letting go of my hands. "With the experimental spell we used, I could have expected it."

"Is it - is it gone permanently?" I ask, feeling my stomach sink.

"I don't know... but better the magic than your life."

"I know."

"Your friends may have this problem too. They basically collapsed when I showed them to their rooms, so there was no way to know."

I look down at my powerless hands. "Should we check, then?"

"Yes, I'll send a message to all their rooms. We will meet in the dining room for breakfast."

----Image

The food here is similar to the food on Earth. Tall waitresses with huge platters walk around, heaps of food threatening to topple over. A younger waitress with shiny black hair serves me pancakes.

Taking a bite, I realize that this syrup is sweeter than I'm used to. The pancakes are also fluffier and lighter, and it takes more of them to fill me up.

We sit at a round glass table, Marigold on my left and Lorraine on my right. Directly across from me is Dean, who doesn't make eye contact with anyone.

I hadn't noticed how hungry I was, and I guess that goes for everyone, since they all quickly finish their meals. As soon as we finish, a waiter swoops in to collect our plates.

"A question," Marigold says, once everyone is done. "Out of you, how many can do magic?"

Lorraine, Lynda, Ashlee, Elise, and Sarah raise their hands. All the girls but me and Katalina. Strange, because Katalina always had a strong magical force around her. Of course, with all the magic around here, it's impossible to tell whose magic is whose, or if even if the magic is still there.

"As expected," Marigold says. "But Katalina, I think you can do magic."

"That is not true," Katalina says. "I have tried all the spells and that have not worked." She finger-combs her hair, a signal that we all know as I don't want to talk about this.

"Katalina, I don't think that's true," Marigold says. "The night you all disappeared - last night, actually - there was a witch in the group. Rebecca, I think."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, witches had very powerful magic. But the downside is that they must carry a wand with them at all times, as their powers are useless without it."

"You think I am this... Rebecca?"

"I am ninety percent sure," Marigold tells her. She then speaks quietly into her hand, the same way that Alina had. "I will get you a wand to test this out. In fact, someone is bringing one now."

By now, all side conversations have ceased. Everyone looks back and forth between Katalina and Marigold, interested in their conversation.

"How do you use it?" Katalina asks. She had never liked magic before, because she couldn't do it. But everything changes now.

"I am not a witch myself, so I don't know for sure," Marigold answers. "But they say the feeling is very natural and easy."

With great timing, a young girl walks in, holding a silver wand with a crystal at the end. She hands it to Katalina, who simply stares at it.

"Now, I don't know your specific power, so I can't get you a special elemental wand yet," Marigold says, smiling softly. "But this one will do to test your powers."

"It's pretty," Sarah says, reaching out to touch it.

In a flash, Marigold is on her feet. Her hand reaches out and a stream of orange light flies across the table, knocking Sarah's hand away from the wand. From what I see, it doesn't injure her - although it does piss her off.

"Sorry about that," Marigold says, sitting back down. She smoothes out her skirt. "Don't touch the wand, any of you. We are mostly fairies here. Witches' wands will leech fairies' magic."

"Sounds... dangerous," I say.

"It's not terrible. It just something to be avoided," Marigold says. She turns to Katalina. "Now, see this glass? Use the wand to make it come to you. Just picture it flying towards you."

Katalina clumsily points the want at Marigold's glass, her icy blue eyes concentrating. It takes a minute, but the glass flies to her in a slow, wobbly line. She reaches for it with her free hand, but gravity takes over and the glass falls to the ground, shattering. Her pale cheeks flush scarlet.

"Oh, that's okay," Marigold says, waving her arm. The glass flies back together, looking like it was never broken. "Using a wand is more difficult than just using your hand, like fairies. But the results are generally better."

"By the way, uh, Mrs. Crystal," Cody says.

"You may call me Marigold," she says.

"Do we get to fight in the war?"

"Well... I'm not sure on that one. You will not need permission from your parents, as you are legally adults. Well, most of you. But you do need my permission, and the Commander of the Army's permission. She will have to authorize the training that you will definitely need."

"I thought you were assembling an army?" Cody says, his statement coming out like a question. "A few more people wouldn't hurt. It would help, actually."

"Yes, that's true. But you all are going to be famous, targeted by attackers. And you just got home, why would you want to fight in a war?"

"To fight for my home."

"Actually, Cody, you are not a Crystallarian. You are from our twin planet, Glitteria. I am fairly certain that you are Johnny."

Cody shakes his head. "It doesn't matter. The people here have lost sixteen years of their lives. I'm not going to stand around and do nothing."

"I will fight too," Sarah says, her eyes simmering on low heat. "What else is there to do?"

Marigold nods. "Very well. I can't stop you, you are legally adults. But I don't want you out in battle, if that matters. I guess I will just find you a spot in defense."