Status: A work in progress.

Norshire Chronicles: The Lost Queen

Departure

Through out the rest of the day Jacek couldn’t get the girl’s words out of his mind. He wanted desperately to believe Lorelei. Could it actually be possible that the lost queen is actually alive?
It was night now. Jacek lay in his usual spot by the lake. The multicolored moon, the only thing left untouched by Queen Zynoa’s shadows, lit the murky water. He had his eyes closed, simply listening to the sound of his own breathing and steady heartbeat. His thoughts turned to Lorelei like they have several times.
Was it right to allow her to leave alone? What if she were to get injured or captured again? Could he live with himself knowing she had gone alone? He couldn’t deny to himself that he felt something for her, sympathy perhaps.
Jacek suddenly felt a light kick on his shoulder and his eyes snapped open. He looked up to see Synestra looking down at him.
“You almost gave me a heart attack, Synestra.” he said as he sat up.
“Sorry, I thought you were sleeping.” she said as she sat down beside him.
There was a short silence.
“What do you think?” she asked.
“About what?”
“Don’t act like you haven’t been thinking about it.” She gave him a light punch on the shoulder. “About what Lorelei said about the lost queen actually being alive.”
“I don’t know.”
“Well, I believe her.” Jacek looked at her. “I think its possible. I might even go with her. In fact, I already started packing a few supplies.”
“Do the others know?”
“I convinced Rikar to come, too, and Rythorn said he would think about it.”
Jacek looked out to the lake.
Synestra stood up and said, “Well, I just came here to tell you. Perhaps you should think about joining us as well.”
She left and he was once again alone with his thoughts.
<>
Jacek awoke in bed. The night before, he had walked back to the stronghold and packed a few things. Perhaps he would go with them, there was still a chance that she was right.
Now he was rushing out of his room as he put on the brown leather satchel. He had only packed a travel cloak in case of cold weather and a few extra clothes.
As he entered the lounge he saw that Rythorn had decided to tag along, his own satchel hanging from his shoulder. Rikar sat on the arm of the couch listening to Synestra talk. She stood beside Rythorn and chatted excitedly. Darmor was surprisingly there as well, a black satchel hanging from his
Lorelei stood opposite of Synestra, smiling about something she had said. She was dressed in a brown, knee-length skirt and a white blouse with elbow length sleeves. Her feet were bare and she held a rucksack a pair of sandals in her hand. Her hair was brushed and tied back neatly with a white ribbon. She wore the necklace around her neck with the crystal tucked into her shirt.
“I guess someone is in a rush to leave.” Rythorn said.
“Shut up.” Jacek said with a laugh.
“We’ll be leaving soon. Lausa said she had to give us a few extra supplies.” Rythorn informed Jacek.
Just then Lausa walked in carrying a white cloth that was tied closed. She handed it to Lorelei.
“These are medicines in case of injuries or illnesses.” Lausa said as Lorelei packed them into her rucksack. “Don’t worry, their labeled so you know what each is for.”
“Alright.” Rikar said as he stood from his seat on the arm of the couch. “I’d say we’re ready to go.”
<>
They traveled down the main road. It was silent amongst them. Jacek couldn’t help noticing Lorelei. She moved with a dancer’s grace and buoyancy.
“Lorelei, do you have any experience with a sword?” Rythorn asked her.
“Not really.” she said. “Only the few basics my father taught me as a child.”
“We might have to teach you a few things in sword fighting then.” Rikar added. “It will most likely come in handy if we run into any danger.”
Lorelei only nodded.
Synestra began explaining to her a few of the basics that could be covered without actually holding the sword. Lorelei listened intently, only speaking up to ask a question or two. Though Synestra doesn’t use a sword herself, she knew a lot about sword combat.
When the sun began to set, they set up camp a few feet off the road. Darmor sat up against a tree apart from the others. Synestra and Rikar were arguing about something while Rythorn laughed at their banter. Jacek was trying to get a fire orb lit but it wouldn’t light. Usually they lit when you touched it but this one was being stubborn.
“Need some help?” Lorelei said as she kneeled beside Jacek.
Before Jacek could answer, she picked up the fire orb and held it in her hand. As she did, she closed her eyes and had a look of concentration. After a moment, the orb steadily began to glow. She placed it a few inches above the ground where it stayed floating after she let it go. Small flames began to flicker from within the orb.
“You learn a lot when your parents own a bakery with faulty light orbs and such.” She gave a half smile.
“Thanks.” he said.
“No problem.”
The others, except for Darmor of course, joined them around the fire orb for warmth. They shared bread that Lausa had packed for them. Jacek noticed that Lorelei left the group and traveled farther into the woods. He fought the urge to follow after her for her company. When they had finished with the chatter, they lay in the grass to sleep. Synestra was asleep before everyone else, her snoring proved it.
Jacek couldn’t sleep though. He kept looking up at the sky, wondering where Lorelei had gone. Without another thought, he stood up and walked in the direction Lorelei had taken. He came to a clearing, Lorelei leaning against a tree and looking up at the sky. The moonlight made her brown hair shine brilliantly.
As if sensing him staring, she looked his way with a startled look. For a brief moment there saw fear in her eyes but it vanished when she seemed to recognize him.
“Hi.” she whispered nervously.
“Hey.” Jacek said. “Couldn’t sleep?”
“Unfortunately no.” She smiled. “You?”
“Same.”
He stood there for another moment before deciding to walk over and lean against the tree beside her. They both sat against the tree. She leaned her head back against the tree with her eyes closed, a pleasant smile on her face. He couldn’t help staring at her, wondering how she could be so content in the harsh times Norshire was facing.
“Can you hear them?” she asked him, her eyes still closed.
“Hear who?”
“The trees speaking to each other. Just listen.”
He did as she said, trying to hear what she could. He started to hear a whisper so low that it sounded like voices in the wind. He could almost hear the trees growing around them. He looked at her and she was studying his expression.
She smiled at his look of astonishment and said, “Queen Zynoa’s shadows might seem to have influence over everything but they don’t. The light within nature is too bright for there to be any shadows.”
He marveled at her philosophy, believing every word of it. Then a fox came darting out of the forest and climbed into Lorelei’s lap. She gasped with a joyful look in her eyes.
“Leo! I thought I’d never see you again!” she said as she grabbed the fox and hugged it to her chest. It happily licked her cheek.
“Your pet?” Jacek asked.
“Yes, I’ve had him since I was young. When I was captured, I feared that they would hurt him so I let him go. He must have followed me this whole time.”
Jacek smiled and asked, “How did you get him?”
“One day, I was in the woods and found him in an animal trap that I knew was set by the dark knights. I released him, took him home, and nursed his injuries. We’ve been together ever since.”
Jacek smiled with her as she shared a warm memory. He couldn’t help wondering what Norshire would be like if more people were like her. Perhaps it would be a better place.