Cities Built On Sand

That Best Friend

“Well, Mr. Crosby, you sure do clean up nicely.” Kari giggled as the couple walked out their hotel room and down to the elevator.

Sidney smirked, “As do you, my dear.”

As much as Sidney and Kari loved their children, they were always more than happy to just have a few days to themselves. The NHL Awards was by far the married couples favorite vacation time especially now that they were held in Las Vegas. The two held hands and shared sweet kisses in the empty elevator until they reached the lobby. Paparazzi were lined up down the street just to get a shot of hockey's golden boy and his wife. Kari bit her lip and decided to have a little fun with the press and decided to actually answer some of their questions.

Sidney snaked his arm around his wife and pulled her close, “Baby, what are you doing?” he whispered his breath tickling her neck.

Kari giggled and smiled for the camera. Eventually growing old of the same old questions, she waved good-bye to the cameras and went to the car waiting. “You know what I was thinking..” she started as the car pulled away from the hotel.

Sidney gave his wife a questioning look, “Do I really want to know?”

“Yes, you do.” She replied, “I was thinking, it would be really fun to like have me dress up as another woman!” Kari wiggled her eyebrows, giggling in excitement.

“I don't think that's such a good idea..” He groaned as he felt Kari's hand slowly running up his thigh, “The press would have a field day with that! Plus, Mario and Dan- OH! And my dad... they would all-”

Sick of hearing her husband worry so much, Kari pressed her lips against his to shut him up. Before he could get another word out, the car came to a stop and the door opened revealing a long red carpet lined with photographers. They stepped out into the spotlight allowing photographs of themselves to be taken before moving right along. Kari's eyes lit up at the sight of Evgeni Malkin, one of her dearest friends on the team.

She smiled, rushing over to her friend as fast as her heel clad feet allowed. The two embraced and the Russian placed a kiss on Kari's cheek. “You look gorgeous.” He whispered. Sidney soon caught up with his wife and line mate. The three had a few photos taken before they ushered Kari inside so the boys could do interviews. She took her seat in the third row and pulled out her cell phone, sending a message to Taylor, her sister-in-law.

To: Tay
how are the kids, hope they aren't giving you much trouble! :)

New Message: Tay
Nope. Jules & Pat rock helping with Tommy. Have fun tonight ;)


Kari looked up from her phone as her husband and Geno sat on either side of her. The lights dimmed as she shut off her phone for the night. The award show ran smoothly. When Sidney was taken backstage, Kari became tense. She had no idea where he was going, as far as she was aware, the only award he was receiving that night were the Rocket Richard Trophy and Mark Messier Leadership Award, both which he had already been given.

Kari looked to her left and saw Evgeni smirking in his seat. He looked over and smirked as she raised her eyebrow. As the crowd erupted into applaud, Kari looked up to see Sidney walking out on stage. So wrapped up in confusion, she didn't realize that he was just awarded a third title.

“As the recipient of the NHL Foundation Player Award, the money will be going to the Crosby Breast Cancer Foundation in honor of my best friend and my wife. As some of you may know, when my wife, Kari, and I got married, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Even though we were lucky enough to catch it in the early stages- it wasn't until I almost lost her forever that I truly realized how much she meant to me. After and now, years later, Kari is here today, cancer free.

We started the foundation so that more people can wind up with happy endings. We don't want other people to have to go through the pains of losing their best friend, their mother, their sister, whoever I may be. So, I want to thank the NHL, the Crosby Breast Cancer Foundation, and most of all, my wife because without her love and support, I would not be up here right now, accepting this award.”

A few tears slid out of Kari's eyes as she slowly wiped them away. Never in her years of friendship and relationship with Sidney had she ever felt more proud of him. The audience just erupted with full force. Evgeni tapped her shoulder and stood, pulling her into a hug. Sidney soon joined his wife, everyone else in the crowd giving him a standing ovation for his touching words. Kari pulled away from her favorite Russian and threw her arms around her husband.

“I love you so much, baby.” she whispered into his ear as everyone began settling back to their seats.

Sidney lifted his hand sticking out his pinkie, “Best friends forever?”

Kari nodded giggling, “Forever.” Their pinkies interlocked and she placed delicate kisses along his jawline.