Cities Built On Sand

That Hero

June 3rd rolled around faster than you could say Stanley Cup. After being eliminated early by the interstate rivals, the Flyers. The Crosby clan headed up to Cole Harbor for the summer and wound up staying with Sidney's parents, Troy and Trina. It was Fathers Day in Canada and Taylor, Patrick, and Juliet woke up early to be able to create a grand breakfast feast for their fathers.

Sidney and Kari slept in and didn't want up until Thomas started to fuss. Adam Bray and his new wife, Elaine, were also stopping by later that afternoon for a barbecue. Kari and Sidney walked down into the dining room to see a table filled to the brim with everyones favorite breakfast food. She quickly whipped together a plate for Thomas and placed him in his high chair before grabbing a plate for herself. Sidney soon joined his wife along with his parents.

The grill was fired up around noon and Troy began teaching his grandson a few tricks of the trade. After everyone was seated on either side of the long picnic table, Patrick stood up with a piece of paper in his hands. Kari looked at her husband, excitement nearly exploding out of her head. Sidney raised his eyebrow causing his wife to giggle. She gave his knee a quick squeeze Patrick began speaking.

He sucked on the bottom left part of his lip before clearing his throat, a nervous habit he acquired from being around his mother so much, “Okay.. being Fathers Day and all, I just wanted to thank my dad for being so amazing. Even though you travel a lot, I know if we ever needed you, you would be back home in a heartbeat. You've taught me so many great things and I know you will do the save for Tommy. I remember when Juliet was born, you took me out in the hallway and made me promise the same thing you promise Grandpa Troy- it was my job to help protect my baby sister.

From tricks on ice to how to tie my shoes, you have been a great teacher and father. There is no other person in the world that I would even want to call dad since I've got such a great one like you. I hope one day, when I become a father, I can be at least half as great as you are to us. You have accomplished so many great things in so little time. To the whole hockey world, you're Sidney Crosby- the next great one, but to me, your just dad. You're my hero, Dad, and theres no changing that.” He sat down and slid the piece of paper into his pocket.

Kari kissed her husband's cheek and smiled. Juliet leaned forward looking past her Grandpa Adam and blew her father a kiss, “I love you daddy.”