Cities Built On Sand

Mirror

The Crosby household was peaceful for once- Thomas was down for nap snuggled between his parents while Juliet and Patrick were studying for their upcoming midterms. Kari and Sidney were approaching the terrible twos with Thomas so they tried to savor any calm moment with him. It had only been about twenty minutes that the house was peaceful before Juliet emitted an ear splitting scream.

Thomas woke instantly and went into a fit of tears causing Kari to jump up and run to the kitchen to see what all the commotion was about. Sidney stayed behind to try and lull his son back into sleep.

Patrick groaned rolling his eyes at his drama queen sister moving his school supplies into the dining room. Juliet's eyes were glued to her computer screen as Kari rushed over, “Sweetie, what's wrong?”

“This picture Annie posted on Facebook, I look so horrible! Look how bloated and fat I look!”

Kari sighed rubbing her daughter's back in small circles, “You look great, honey. I would be worried if you were stick thin. I think you look great.”

Juliet shook her head, “But you're my mom, you're supposed to say that.”

Mrs. Crosby shook her head, “Nope, just because I'm your mom doesn't mean anything. Want to know what I do when I see a bad picture online of myself when me and daddy go out?”

She nodded her head eagerly, “Yes please.”

“Okay, well.. Grandma Natalie told me to do this when I was little and I've been doing it since.”

Juliet giggled, “So you've been doing it for a long long time?”

“Watch it,” Kari warned trying to suppress laughter, “Alright well, go into the bathroom and look in mirror. Don't make any silly faces anything, just smile. Think to yourself, wow I have really white teeth or wow, my hair looks great today.”

“Mom, the mirror is exactly what I want to avoid, I look so bad right now.”

“Juliet just listen, okay?” The teenage girl shut her mouth and nodded slowly as her mother continued to explain the process, “Okay, then you're going to just keep thinking positive thoughts and then say them out loud to yourself so you hear it and you'll see yourself saying it. Say I'm a beautiful girl and I the way I look. That's all it takes.”

Juliet slid off the kitchen chair skeptically and walked into the bathroom. She stood before the framed mirror and sighed. Thinking of the time Patrick took her driving, Juliet smiled and just like that, her mother's methods began working. Juliet had starting noticing things about herself that she really liked for example the fact that she has great skin and perfect eyebrows.

Just like that, Juliet came bounding out of the bathroom and engulfed her mother into a huge hug. Kari laughed and pressed a kiss to her daughter's forehead. From that day on, the mirror went from being Juliet Crosby's worst enemy to best friend.