Status: Active Again (:

Two Souls Intertwined

Miyako - Chapter 4

Miyako stayed silent with her ears erect, listening for any sudden sounds that seemed out of the ordinary. She started to turn slowly from the captain towards the door as if waiting for someone or something to budge through the door and start attacking them.

Yoruichi looked at the girl, wandering what in the world she was doing. One moment she was getting ready to have a brawl with Soifon and then the next thing you know she’s stalking around the room as if there were mines planted in the floor.

Miyako froze in place when she felt a sudden wave rush over her, and then disappear. She slowly stood up straight and relaxed her shoulders. Closing her eyes, she listened more intently until her left ear turned abruptly toward the window. Her head followed suit feeling the familiar spiritual pressure spill into the room, a feeling of panic rushing through her. Doing the first thing that came to mind, Miyako rushed towards the window and leaped out, landed on the ground, and flash stepped towards the direction the pressure came from. 

Yoruichi and Soifon shared a glance with each other before following Miyako out the window. They began flash stepping in the same direction, seeing Miyako’s silhouette running on the wall in the moonlight. While trying to catch up, they both realized how fast the ‘cat’ really was.

“For someone who’s not in a squad, she’s pretty fast.” Yoruichi commented glancing over at her subordinate’s face, who nodded.

“The only question is... How?”

“I don’t know, but that’s what I intend to find out.” Soifon replied.

They quickened their pace and caught up within a few seconds. Yoruichi now ran on Miyako’s left, and the captain on her right. Miyako wasn’t even paying attention to her surroundings, when she came to a sudden halt. The two women beside her stopped a few feet in front of her and starred. The short captain was becoming irritated, she couldn’t believe this was happening. One minute she was doing her work and the next thing she knew, she was chasing some immature kid around the soul society. The captain lost her patience and took a step forward, only to be stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

The pissed look on her face disappeared immediately as she gazed into her mentor’s face. It was rare when Yoruichi had a serious look on her face and seeing Soifon’s worried expression, she motioned toward Miyako. The girl in question had her eyes closed and head down, a feeling of calmness swirling around her while she searched for something. That something was a ribbon. A red silk ribbon that was connected to a person she had sworn to protect. Her spirit energy seeped out of her body as she concentrated as hard as she could, remembering the warm and familiar feeling of the energy that vanished.

A few more seconds past until she lifted her head, eyes still closed. Surrounding her were millions of red ribbons, as if stained with blood, each one leading to a different soul. Yoruichi and Soifon stood their watching, waiting for any sign of movement. A small spike of spiritual pressure traveled through the air and Miyako’s eyes shot open. Her hand flew up and grabbed the ribbon that was slowly wrapping itself around her right arm and darted towards the owner, the two women close behind.

Miyako could feel they were getting closer and sped up her pace, buildings from the tenth division could be seen in the distance. Captain Soifon saw the division and wondered why the girl was in a hurry to get there. Her first thought was sabotage, and since she didn’t trust this girl, the thought seemed very plausible. But in order to arrest her, Miyako had to commit a crime. Soifon would wait for her opportunity to strike.

Once they finally reached the squad, Miyako jumped off the wall and over the gates, losing her followers. When she landed, Miyako dashed out toward the familiar pressure, only to find Yuna walking away from a large man with a purple collar and gold bracelets. His obscene hair cut didn’t help in the looks department either. Yuna’s face looked frustrated as she walked away. Suddenly, the man lunged forward and grabbed Yuna’s wrist, twisting it. A tiny yelp escaped from Yuna’s lungs.

Freaking out, Miyako immediately flashed towards him. Using her strength, she grabbed his large wrist and tightened her grip to a breaking point, forcing him to let go. Before he could react any further, Miyako had flipped him over her back. She then proceeded to grab his face and smash him against the wall, a huge hole in the shape of his body formed from the impact. Miyako could sense all the people watching her but she didn’t care. The only thing she cared about was how she was going to kill this tub of lard she still held against the wall.

Leaning in, she could smell the distinct stench of alcohol on the man’s clothes. He was obviously drunk and delusional. He started to moan from the attack and slowly opened his eyes. They were completely bloodshot.

“You’re not even worth it.”  She said, staring at him in disgust before letting go.

He slid down the wall into a huddled mess on the floor. Miyako looked at him for a few moments before turning away and walking towards Yuna. While she was walking away, the man struggled to get to his feet. Miyako could hear him struggle until he fell back over.

“How pathetic.” She muttered under her breath as she continued walking to Yuna, gently placing the girl’s right hand onto her own.

“I’m fine, it’s just a bruise.” Yuna explained with tears in her eyes that threatened to spill over any minute.

Not believing her, Miyako ignored the prideful girl’s statement and continued examining her wrist, checking for any fractures or dislocations. After looking at it, the ‘cat’ started to bend the wrist backward until a wince came from the victim.

“Bruise my ass, it’s sprained.” Miyako growled while ripping off a piece of her uniform and wrapping it around the so-called “bruise” until it was completely covered.

When she finished, she heard a loud and deep grunt from the man who was, surprisingly, now standing. A little wobbly, but standing none the less.

“How dare you *hiccup* insult the *hiccup* 2nd squad *hiccup* lieutenant!” He yelled at the top of his lungs as he placed his right hand on the hilt of his sword.

Miyako stood there in disbelief. This man was the lieutenant of squad 2?! The division known for its stealth and mystery?! Yeah right! Like she was ever going to believe an idiot like that belonged to the stealth squad.

“You expect me to believe that you, a gigantic oaf, are the lieutenant of the 2nd squad?”

“That’s right *hiccup*! I bet you’re *hiccup* regretting it now!”

“…No, not really.” The man was becoming cocky so Miyako shot his pride down with that one comment.

“That’s it *hiccup*!” The drunk lieutenant unsheathed his sword and ran forward.

Miyako pushed a protesting Yuna aside so she wouldn’t get harmed and prepared herself. When he got close he swung his sword into an uppercut and paused. His opponent had disappeared and was nowhere in sight. He stayed frozen in the same pose completely dumbfounded. A sound of amusement came from his right and he looked at his sword. Miyako was perched at the end and smiling. Her fangs shining in the moonlight that shone upon them.

“Hey, you!” Yuna yelled, her eyes changed.

The stupid man looked over to his right, but it was too late and all he could see was foot before it collided hard into his face. Miyako then jumped up in the air and brought her own foot down on his head, sending him literally about a foot into the ground from the combined impact. Then walking calmly around him, Miyako took his sword that laid next to him. She dangled the sword threateningly over his head. When she brought it down, the man closed his eyes in fear and waited for death to take him.

A few seconds passed and he realized he was still alive. Slowly opening his eyes, he saw her face only inches away from his with a deadly glare, his sword wedged in the ground next to his head.

“If I ever see you touch, or even look at Yuna again, you’ll wish I had killed you. Got it!”

The man looked as though he was going to burst into tears but nodded. Miyako stood up and removed the sword from the ground, throwing it to the side. She turned back around and began walking toward Yuna. Her father ran up to the girl and hugged her senseless and walked away with a struggling Yuna in his arms.

“I’m fine, damn it!” Miyako heard her yell.

Miyako started to follow, but stopped and glanced over her shoulder.

Captain Soifon had walked up to her idiot lieutenant and was now burying his head further into the earth, a vain popping out of her head. She stopped her assault and looked up, meeting Miyako’s gaze. They stood their looking into each others eyes for what seemed like ages.

“Miyako! Hurry up and save me from him!”

The call pulled her back to reality and she blinked a couple of times until turning to leave. Pausing, she turned back around to the captain and slightly bowed her head in respect then vanished using flash step.

Captain Soifon stared at the spot Miyako was standing and began to think to herself. She could be of great use in the stealth force. I will have to talk to Ukitake to see if… Her thoughts were interrupted when a light groan could be heard from beneath her feet. She stomped on his head to shut him up. God, how she despised this man!

Yoruichi stood in a corner watching the scene before her and smiled. Looks like you found another member for your squad, Soi, and a powerful one at that.