Status: short story

Masks

2

Ashley's p.o.v.

"Mom, did ever hang out with a boy named Dillon O'Connor?" I bit my bottom lip as i asked my mother about the boy who claimed to have been my best friend for years.

"Oh my, yes. You and Dillon were nearly inseparable,that is until about the 6th or 7th grade. Hasn't he changed his color?" she smiled as she spoke about him, she sounded very fond of Dillon.

"Yeah, it's black now." I couldn't believe that I could forget something like that.

"Just a sec," she said before wondering into the living area. She came back with a large photo album. "Look in here, if you don't believe me." She took a seat beside me.

I opened the book and saw a picture of Me and a boy, both with backpacks and wide grins. "That was on y'all's first day of kindergarten, I drove you both to school and you two wouldn't stop talking about how excited you were to be going to 'big kid school' it was so cute." She finished laughing.

"Mom, I'm gonna take this to my room, is that okay," I watched her nod as i shut the book and walked down the hall. I shut the door before plopping onto my bed and turning on my laptop and sitting it at the foot of my bed.

I opened the book up and flipped through. I saw picture of the two of us, always smiling, at dance classes, guitar and drum lessons, at the park, at school, awards ceremonies, ever where, even in the backseat of my moms car with ice cream all over our faces.

I can't believe how much I've changed, what I've become. I was so happy, there was no peer pressure. Now i had almost the entire school at my feet, even the teachers.

I really can't believe what I've become. I this what waltzing is like? Turns and twists, dips and sways? I've walked to light the cracks are going to break.

Ding, I looked up at my laptop.

DiLlOn: You There? or are you even going to talk to me?

I typed a reply.

a$hley: Hey, srry bout the blown up 2day

DiLiOn: its k ur used to ur x-uses by now, so reality seems fake

a$hley: I believe u, bout us b-ing friends :)

DiLlOn: Y?

a$hley: mom

DiLlOn: o. tell her hi 4 me, wud u?

a$hley: come ovr & tel her urself

DiLlOn: k b ovr n a few thn

a$hley: good :)) we nd 2 tlk f2f

DiLlOn has logged off
a$hley has logged out.

Dillon's p.o.v.

She was shocking me. I thought as i got in my car, the sound of Asking Alexandria, filling my ears. I pulled up and knocked on the door. I smiled when I saw Mrs. Evans open the screen door, a smile wide on her face.

"Dillon! I haven't seen you in forever, I've missed you," She wrapped her arms around my lanky figure.

"You too, Mrs. E," I hugged her back. "Where's Ashley?"

"In her room go on in," she waved me away.

"I walked down the hall until I heard, My Chemical Romance's 'I'm Not Okay' pulsating from the room on my left, I sighed before turning the knob and entering. Ashley was sitting on her bed, her back turned to me, looking at a book.

"Do you remember this?" she asked turning around and holding up a picture.

I took the picture from her, it was the two of us, my hair still blonde, sitting in the back seat of her moms car shoving each others ice cream cones into the others face. "Yeah, it was the last day of Spring break. in sixth grade" I grinned and handed it back to her.

"How do you remember that? It was so long ago," she looked back at me eyes full of longing.

"It was the last time i ever saw you smile like that because of me, you tried out for cheerleader the next week and forgot about me."

"Oh, I guess that explains it than," She looked down. Looking back up she smiled, "Wanna go for a walk?"

We talked for several weeks after that. We became friends again, and she had stopped cutting, and started to really laugh and smile again, I came over nearly every day now, either to do home work or just to hang out, it didn't matter. She had broke up with her dick of a boyfriend. Now we were just at her house lying in her room listening to a mix CD i had made for her the previous week. It consisted of Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides, My Chemical Romance, The Devil wears Prada, Nevershoutnever!, All Time Low, and Forget Me In Vegas.

As Can't Stand It started up, I sat up and looked Ashley, In her Glamour Kills hoodie, ATL shirt, and skinny jeans she was the most beautiful girl in the world.

"Hey Ash, would you wanna go to the prom with me?" I said this quickly to prevent myself from chickening out.

Ashley reached over and turned down the radio before crawling over to me and putting her nose against mine, she smiled before pecking me on the lips. My elbows went weak, as she smiled into the small kiss, falling to the floor, her on top of me, I laughed."I'll take that as a yes."

She smiled and snuggled her face into my neck.