Power Struggle

Meeting the Pack

“My poor Ulfric,” I heard. I felt Faith's warm hand pet my hair. “Don’t worry, my love, things will be okay.”

I had come back from the forest and was currently lying in my newly named Lupa’s lap, Faith.

“How will I ever live up to him though? I can’t lead this pack.” She suddenly pushed me off of her lap and stood up. I fell to the ground and hit my face with a thump.

“What do you mean: can’t run this pack? Luke it is in your blood! You were born to do this.” Then I felt her at my back, hugging me from behind. “I’m sorry, my Ulfric. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m sorry.” I turned around, slowly pretending to be hurt. Holding my face as I turned to her and she saw me, she hugged me and as soon as she did, I grabbed her in a hug and spun her down to the ground. I ended up on top of her.

“My darling,” I started, “I love you. You can be very demanding and unaware at times, but I still love you. And you are right. I know you're right. I just can’t help myself from worrying.”

“Don’t,” she said quickly. “You have been training for this your whole life, so what if you didn’t take your place the proper way-”

“I wouldn’t have been able to fight him,” I interrupted.

“Of course you would, your father was not-”

“I didn’t mean I couldn’t beat him. I mean I wouldn’t have fought him,” I interrupted yet again.

“I know. You had so much love for him. I know you did.” I tried to pull away from her, but she grabbed my shirt and pulled me back in, putting her soft hand on my cheek. “And I know you will make him proud. I believe in you.” I looked deeply into her eyes and slowly moved in. I kissed her passionately until we were interrupted.

“Um, hello.” The voice made me jump up. I looked up to see Ellen standing there with a few males behind her whom I did not recognize. All of them wore cloaks and kept their heads down so I could not see their faces. Ellen was an older women and was both our Vargamor and our Eir. The Vargamor was just the elder women of the pack, but the title of Eir meant she had healing abilities that no one else in the pack could truly understand. She had pitch white hair given to her from a long life. The wrinkles on her face ran deep but told a story of a much longer, stressful life that I had yet to even see.

“If I am interrupting something, I will leave.”

“No!” I said quickly. “You're not interrupting anything. We were just…talking.” I heard Faith giggle a bit as I extended my hand to help her up from the ground.

“Well in that case I have some people I want you too meet,” she said, signalling two of the three men to stand forward. “First, these two are your Skoll and Hati. They are your bodyguards and whether you like it or not, they will follow you. Your father got away with not having them, but at your age we cannot afford to lose you. The pack will fall to pieces.”

“I can take care of myself, Elder,” I attempted to protest.

“You are nineteen, Luke. You can barely control yourself when you shift, let alone know what you are doing in battle.” She sounded very irritated with me so I backed down a bit. “You beat those Sun Warriors out of luck. What happens if they surprise you next time? You won't always have the advantage, Luke.” I just put my head down in defeat and agreed with her.

“Well then, lets get to know each other you two,” I said, trying to bounce back and still look like a leader.

“They are both top of there class fighters and were recommended by our Bolverk himself.”

“My name is Tomas Hendrik, Sir.” His hair was cut short and spiked up. It was a light brown. He was about a head shorter then me.

“Your eyes are very green, my friend, light as well. Very uncommon for a werewolf,” Faith commented from behind me.

“That is because I am not a full fledged werewolf, my Lupa. My father was a werewolf but my mother was a human. I joined the Mesrits to serve the Ulfric and hope that he may, one day, bestow me with the water of transformation so I may become full.”

“This is very good,” I said, chiming in, “it is good to know that our unit does not put down our half breed brothers.”

“My name is Kole Skyler,” the second one said, taking off his hood. “ I am the Bolverk's brother." He had dark eyes, unlike the first one, obviously a full-fledged werewolf, but wore long blond hair. He stood about the same height as me. He felt a lot trustworthier than this first wolf, but I accepted both.

“And I guess you are the famous Bolverk I have heard so much about?” I said, looking at the third man who stood behind Ellen. “ Do I get to see your face?"

Ellen spoke for him. “No sir, not yet. You must excuse the Bolverk. He does not trust many. Your father was the only man in this pack that he trusted.”

“I can understand. We have a common feeling for losing him. I can imagine. My father must have been close to you. I apologize, but we do need to work together to avenge him. Listen to me. I have your first job. I want you to go out and get as many dead human bodies as you can, and tear them down to nothing but bones. Bring to the site of my father's death.” The room fell silent at my command.

Finally, Ellen broke the silence. “ Ulfric, are you sure that is a smart idea?”

“Don’t worry, I know what I am doing. They will obviously send their units to where I attacked the Sun Warriors and when they get there, they will have a surprise waiting for them.” I turned away from them, lost in my own train of thought, contemplating.

“But master Luke, the humans will-”

“No,” the Bolverk chimed in for the first time. “I can see the way his twisted mind is working. Sick, twisted…but cunning just like his father.” He slowly moved toward me and extended his hand. “I am glad that we have you as an Ulfric. I look forward to seeing how you do in command.”

I took his hand without saying a word. He turned and exited the room.

“Tom, Kole, go with him and give him a hand. We need as many as we can get,” I commanded.

With a simple nod, they both quickly left out the door. Ellen looked at me with a confused look. “What are you planning Luke?”

“Do you remember when father took me on that trip to Slovakia? Well, when we were there we met someone, an old friend of mine. Asher Russell.” Ellen had a look as if she had just realized my plan. “I want you to get a wolf to send a message to him. He will not be too happy of father's death.”

“But he could not possibly-”

“Do you think I care about that?” I snapped. interrupting her mid sentence/

“No, of course not. I'm sorry master Luke. I will send the message out as soon as I can.” She bowed to me and slowly backed out of the room.

“I’m proud of you,” I heard from behind me. I turned to see Faith laying on the bench I had been lying on earlier with a large smile on her face.

“Enjoyed that, did you?” I said, sitting beside her.

“Loved it.” She sat up and starting to massage me. She leaned in, whispering into my ear. “My powerful Ulfric, taking control,” the words tingled my ear, “I knew you could do it.”

“It isn’t over yet though.” I stood up, breaking apart from her. “It has only just begun.”

She stood up slowly, walking towards me and putting her arms around me. “You're right, but you have been through a lot. How about we get away from this and have a little fun?” She licked her lips and moved closer, laying kisses on my neck.

“My love, you have no clue how tempting that is.” She moved away, looking deeply into my eyes. “But I have no time. I have to get ready. I want to be there to watch this.” She looked disappointed as I broke away from her and started for our room. She did not follow me. I closed the door behind me, hoping that my newfound responsibilities would not come between us.