‹ Prequel: Sector F

Faith Is Unavailable

Chapter 14

Sands and Party Poison were lightly arguing like they always did, this time they had to fight back their smiles but Star Killa wasn’t yet adjusted to the group dynamic.

They all heard random crunches coming from Star Killa.

Their attention turned to the girl with the lightening bolt painted over the left half of her face who now sat munching on some cracker. This was not the first time this had happened either. The girl always had some random crackers that no one had found the origin of yet.

“Seriously? What the fuck?” Sands blurted perfectly conscious of the fact that she had no filter.

The girl looked up meekly, knowing this was a weird explanation. “Awkward situations make me nervous, being nervous makes me nibble.”

Everyone looked rather awkward with that explanation, what do you say to that?

Everybody except Fun Ghoul. He laughed, “Dork.”

Star Killa glared -funny, as she was the only one shorter than Fun Ghoul- and scrunched her features purely in jest. “I hate you.”

Truly he was the only one making her feel alive again.

Star Killa didn’t know how long she had been with the Killjoys and their friends. She just knew that she wanted more time with them.

***

Time for the Killjoys wasn’t easy to keep track of. Yes, they knew one day from the next but it was hard to keep track past four.

Months were non-existent and years were just a pipe dream.

Fun Ghoul had no idea how long Star Killa had been with them or how long it had been since they started falling for each other.

They were out on a patrol but Fun Ghoul was treating it as more.

He was trying to make her laugh and impress her. Sort of like a date.

Foolishly he ignored the gas gauge. As the mechanic in the Killjoy crew he should have known two simple equations; gas = go, transversely no gas = no go.

He was driving like a maniac but the car started to stall and it took the mechanic a moment to realize why.

Then it dawned on them, they were stranded out in the middle of Zone 3 Sector A. Widely known as the most frequently patrolled of all the zones.

Star Killa looked at Fun Ghoul worry lacing her entire face knowing she still wasn’t at her fighting best just because she was out of her brace.

He dismissed it lightly. “Party Poison keeps extra gas in the back, no biggie Babe.”

He just hopped out popping the back open keeping his optimistic state.

When he saw nothing then he worried.

The survival packs weren’t even back there.

Star Killa was patting herself down realizing she’d run out of crackers; before she even realized it her fingers were in her mouth and she was chewing on her nails.

Fun Ghoul could see her hands in her mouth and he could guess what she was doing.
He was racking his brain trying to figure out what to do.

Star Killa grabbed the radio and Fun Ghoul came back around to figure out who she was trying to radio up.

“Who’re you tryin’ to get?” He asked climbing back in.

“The diner.” She spoke looking focused but having little luck.

He gently took the handset from her. “Try Dr D, we’re probably out of the diner’s range.”

He fiddled with the nobs getting to Dr D’s station quite effortlessly, “Yo, Dr Death, Show Pony. Its Fun Ghoul and Star Killa it’s legit respond.” He spoke easily the simple instructions.

Raspy responses came through, Fun Ghoul knew that voice though Dr D spoke words they couldn’t quite make out. So Fun Ghoul just explained everything and tossed out their location. Fun Ghoul knew he’d said something about them hanging tight and they’d be ‘rescued’ shortly.

Dr. Death Defying and Show Pony were making themselves ready.

Show Pony’s call back to the diner about Ghoul and Star’s predicament had caused great frustration on the part of Party Poison and Silver Sands.

“Sands why am I the only one who can watch the mother fucking gas gauge?” He vented to Sands in the seldom used kitchen where he’d found her.

She’d been washing her hair in the commercial kitchen sink. It wasn’t the good water so it didn’t really matter. She rung her hair out as best she could before pulling her head out of the sink letting the wet hair cascade down her back and turned to look at him. “Because you’re a rarity Poison Pen.” She said with a sigh, keeping her cool because he was loosing his. Balance was key. “In these times I mean. You’re a thinker and the rest of us are just doers. We’re impulsive and you keep your head. I don’t get why doers make it better than the thinkers. Maybe there were always less of you.”

He couldn’t help but lightly smile at how well she was speaking of him at the moment. It wasn’t like her.

“Now c’mon boss, time to save some adorable, fun sized idiots.” She said as she put her hand on his shoulder, kissed his cheek and walked on out. “At least we know they’re both fine. Morons.”

Party Poison rolled his eyes at her, now this sounded like her.

He started planning in his head, Kobra Kid would drive Dr D’s van where they’d put the supplies that were supposed to be in the Trans-Am and he and Sands would take the bikes out there right away so they’d have back up if the wave of exterminators they feared actually did show.

Party Poison brought himself to the entrance to the attic, grabbed the closest thing he could find and hit the door with it.

“Yo 12!” He called up knowing she and Jet had night watch and were up there asleep for the day.

Her head came out, short hair falling all along her face but she wouldn’t open the door any farther. “What’s up Poison?”

“Are you naked?” Before he got the answer he threw his hand up, he didn’t really want to know. “I’m taking your bike. Fungal and Star Killa are stranded.”

“Ok, the tank’s a little low, you should probably fill it before you leave.” Then her head disappeared and the door was closed again.

His hand went to his forehead and he let out a jagged angry sigh. “Surprise. Sur-fuckin’-prise.”

Sands looked over to him and chuckled lightly not letting her frustration with the situation show today she was letting Party Poison wear the angry pants. She couldn’t stop laughing because they were cute on him. “Stop whining.” She said as she walked out the doors grabbing her bike and starting off before Poison could finish filling 12’s tank.

Show Pony and Dr D were driving in as Silver Sands was speeding off. She threw a salute their way as they passed each other.

Pony pulled the van into its parking place just as Party Poison was finishing up. He could see that 12 and Jet-Star were already up on the roof.

Everything was fluid motion as it should have been.

Show Pony helped Dr Death Defying out and into his chair without bothering to cop a feel. This was serious business and no time for flirting.

“Hold down the fort Doctor?” Party Poison suggested as he tossed his helmet on.

Kobra Kid came out first load of supplies handing them off to Show Pony who put them into the van as Kobra ran back in to grab the rest.

“I can handle that captain.” He said easily as he headed inside.

Party Poison knew everything was in order and sat on that bike before heading off after Sands.

By the time Party Poison and Silver Sands arrived night had begun to fall but fortunately enough everything was still. There’d been no activity from the other side, the army of Battery City seemed to be taking a day away from this area.

It was a few minutes before Kobra Kid and Show Pony arrived in the van.

There always seemed to be movement out in the open ranges of the Badlands. Always the shadows of the fallen walking amongst them.

They saw something out in the distance. This time they knew that was not the case.

Fun Ghoul had only just started fueling the Trans-Am.

The sounds of a BL/ind motorcycle became audible.

Fun Ghoul slammed the driver’s door so Star Killa would stay inside, in hopes that it would make her safer.

She was prompt to aim her gun out the window just the same.

The rest fell into the same position.

Sands dropped her gun down looking shocked and slipped it back in its holster. Without a word she walked toward the bike that had come into view.

Party Poison followed suit in lowering his weapon but didn’t place it back yet. Then they all did the same except for Star Killa. Fun Ghoul had to turn and lower her gun himself.

“What the hell?” She asked in total disbelief. Never had she seen rebels lower their guns in front of a Better Living bike.

“Just wait.” He spoke back.

“So Tori, daddy’s baby made it out of the city?” Sands spoke mockingly as she reached the bike parked far enough to -presumably- be out of earshot. “Korse even know?” Her voice dropped and she moved to block the view of everybody back at the Trans-Am so Party Poison couldn‘t read Viktoria‘s lips.

Viktoria’s teeth clenched. “I do not need his approval for my every move Sandra.”

“Why, doesn’t that sound Killjoy.” Sands laughed keeping her voice hushed.

“I am not you Sandra, I do not abandon the only family I have.” The younger girl spoke with great hostility obviously hating everything Sands implied.

“I haven’t abandoned my family. Those people back there, that’s my family.” Sands spit back. “I don’t have any family inside the city. I haven’t had a biological family since Korse lost his mind and brought you down with him.”

“I can not believe father is still waiting for you.”

“I can’t believe you don’t think about what mom would say about the deplorable things he’s doing.” She spoke hotly, unable to control the old rage bubbling up to the surface.

The other girl wanted to spit harsh words back but she had to remember why she had to come out here. She reached into her messenger bag that she always had as her father had her run files most of the time when she was wrangling Dracs. She was one of the few people he really trusted. Out of the bag came a large envelope that she handed off to Sands. “Figured you had the right to know,” She waited for her sister to open the package. “It seems like he is trying to replace Mom.”

Sands eyes narrowed in absolute fury as she took in the picture in her hands. “Thank you Tori.” Was all Sands said as she slid the picture back into the envelope as stormed back to the guys.

Viktoria was behind her kicking her bike to a start and leaving as quickly as she came.

Party Poison walked out toward Sands meeting her halfway. “What is it Sands?”

She looked into his eyes still angry. “Twelve.” She spoke the word slowly just letting her anger cover the word. Then she shoved the envelope into his chest and continued on to her bike wordlessly.

She kicked the engine over and was gone in a flash. Party Poison watched for a moment in wonder before remembering that the reason for her behavior was in his hands. He opened up the envelope and pulled out a photograph.

Then he knew what it was. Twelve was leaning over Korse’s desk and they were very obviously in the middle of a kiss. Party Poison knew what this meant, he knew if he didn’t get back to the diner fast enough Twelve would be dusted.

He handed the photos to Show Pony and was off as fast as Sands had been without caring about gas conservation for once.

Party Poison caught up with Silver Sands and shouted at her to stop. He wanted to talk to her before she stormed into the diner and just shot down Twelve where she stood.

In a rare moment, Sands listened. She slid her bike to a stop and put a leg out to keep it upright. He pulled up next to her.

“What are you gonna do?” He asked.

“Kill the bitch.” Sands spat, her helmet still on.

“We can’t do that yet. Think about it. They used to have Twelve as a captive. They could have doctored that photo. You can’t even see Twelve’s face.”

“But that was her jacket. That needle on the back of it was hers. There’s no mistake.”

“They could have doctored it. We need more proof.”

“What more do you need!?” She almost yelled taking off the helmet.

“We have to watch her for a while and see if there’s any reason to believe she’s goin’ back into the City. Korse is a creative man. We can’t trust anything that comes from Battery City.” He reasoned grabbing her hand.

“Twelve comes from Battery City.” Sands said in a hard voice.

“She didn’t originate there though. She was from Sector F. You know that.”

“She still came outta there and no one gets outta there unless Korse wants them to.”

“Please don’t kill her Sands.”

“Can I at least give her a warning ghost?” She didn’t know why she was even asking permission.

“No.” He said reaching out to take her hand. “We’ve gotta give her the benefit of the doubt, for Jet. What would happen to him if you killed her? We’d lose him too. If for nothing else, then for him. We need him.”

“Fine, I won’t kill or ghost her. That’s all I will promise though.”

“Thank you.”

Sands pulled her hand from Poison’s and tugged her helmet back on. She still headed back to the diner but not like a bat out of hell this time. Party Poison followed her happy that he wasn’t pushing Twelve’s bike to it’s limit. Sands was even calm enough to start playing games with Party Poison as they headed back. She would slow down and cut him off spraying dirt up at him. He would respond by coming up next to her and letting their bikes hit each other enough to knock her off balance a bit.

“Stop, I can hear their bikes... Jet.” Twelve said trying to push Jet-Star away.

“So what, we’re on the roof.” He said lifting his lips from her neck for just a moment.

“One of them will be up here in a moment.”

Jet-Star didn’t answer, he just continued on ignoring Twelve. He was quite content as he was with his lips against her neck.

Twelve heard the sound of boots on the ladder and knew that Party Poison was on his way up. She whispered to Jet-Star but he was still ignoring her. He laughed to himself as she tried in vain to push him off. He hit her sweet spot and it took all she had in her not to make a sound. He felt her muscles tense and he pushed her further enjoying the reaction he was getting. Her nails dug into his leather jacket.

“Hey Party Poison.” Twelve said once she was under control. “Sorry, I have a giant tumor attached to my neck at the moment and he’s not listening.”

“Hey Porn-Star, I don’t wanna watch this movie.” Party Poison sighed.

“What one would you like then?” Jet-Star laughed finally giving in.

“None, we got to Ghoul and Killa. Pony is gonna drive back to make sure they make it and Ghoul won’t have a chance to go do doughnuts again. We saw all the tracks. Kobra’ll probably do a quick patrol of the area with the Doc and then head back here.”

“Sands?” Twelve asked.

“Downstairs with Girl and Dr. D.”

“Was it bad?” Jet-Star asked.

“Nah, strangely quiet. Only one encounter.”

“Odd.” Twelve said. “3A is normally pretty high traffic.”

“Maybe Korse was givin’ ‘em a break tonight.” Party Poison sighed knowing their visitor had called them off that area as soon as he saw the Trans-Am stuck out there.

“Doubt that.” Jet-Star laughed leaning against the air conditioning unit. He pulled Twelve against him.

“Well Sands is in a bad mood so watch out for a while, like a few days.”

“Thanks for the heads up.”

“When Kobra gets back you two can go back into the attic.” Party Poison said as he turned to leave. “Shouldn’t be long now.”

Just on the horizon was a dark shape approaching fast. They knew the sound of the engine, it was Show Pony bringing in the Trans-Am with Ghoul and Killa in tow.

As soon as Party Poison was out of sight Jet-Star pulled Twelve back to her previous position and continued on as they were. This time he had no objections from her and her hands wound into his hair.

Awhile later after Kobra Kid had gone back to the roof and Jet-Star and Twelve were able to go back to the attic everyone was settled down from the day’s events and it almost seemed like nothing had happened.

Sands had been sitting on one of the counter tops in the kitchen while she had talked with Party Poison for a while but now he had fallen asleep on her shoulder. She didn’t particularly hate that he was sleeping against her, but she didn’t quite like it either.

12 was sliding out for another of her meetings with Korse. It was late everyone but the people on the night watch were asleep.

She had it planned out perfectly, there was enough time for her to get to the city and back with just enough time to stroll in before day break.

She went out the back door through the kitchen as it was quieter than the front doors. She made sure the door was securely shut behind her before turning to head toward the shed slamming straight into a body.

The person she ran into didn't budge.

Her eyes met with the gray ones that were almost as cold looking at her as her sister's were, but Sands' eyes couldn't be that dead. There was always a raging fire burning bright no matter how far she had it buried.

"So 12, what does Korse see in you." Sands said with a satisfied look on her face arms crossed over her chest. "Tori must really hate you. Giving me a picture of you with him locked at the mouth."

12 knew she'd been caught.

"So he gave you the picture too, huh? The one that Pony found in my shit. Just to out me or to show the dismantled family he's trying to bring you into?"

"Prove anything you're talking about." 12 challenged, knowing if the woman could they all would have tossed her out already.

Sands eyed the woman opposite her. "Viktoria said he was using you to replace my mother but I don't see it. You look nothing like her and she was kind, strong, never backed down from what she believed, the complete opposite of a fake that could handle people genuinely caring for them as they repeatedly stabbed said people in the back. Honestly, I’m pretty brutal and that would wreck me.” She spoke now playing toward the soul she only assumed 12 had. “Also the only reason I haven’t dusted you yet is Jet loves you -although I have no idea why- and we need him. Thank your lucky stars that more than Korse have found favor for you. Let me tell you, Sweetheart, after they know the truth and no longer give a shit about the pretty little backstabber -you know they will find out- I will very much enjoy dusting you. Now hurry off Korse is probably counting down the seconds.” With that Sands turned and walked herself right back in through that door.

12 never doubted anything Sands said but the threat at the end wasn’t what was on her mind as she resolved to continue what she had planned to do for the night.

What got her was the guilt, she did care about the guys. She loved Jet-Star, she just didn’t have any other options. Love never let you pick how you wanted your life to turn out.

She didn’t care if Kobra Kid saw her now as she grabbed her bike. Sands couldn’t say anything to them and Twelve knew that.

Sands had made one mistake in her whole little stand. She had mentioned that they needed Jet-Star more than they needed to get rid of Twelve. If Sands said anything to the guys then Jet-Star would be useless and wrecked leaving them with a big disadvantage. Twelve knew she could get away with this if only for a little while longer.

Kobra Kid was asleep on the roof and didn’t even notice Twelve go out. He had figured that since it had been so quiet out in the zones that he didn’t need to be awake the whole night. As long as no one caught him he was fine and dosed off with a half finished stale beer in his lap.

Twelve made it to Battery City after and hour on her bike. She walked into Korse’s office. Viktoria was sitting on the couch and Korse was behind his desk.

“You’re late.” Korse said standing up.

“I know, I’m sorry. Your daughter decided to take a stand tonight.” Twelve said as she walked right up to Korse. Before he could say anything she kissed him letting Viktoria see that her little stunt had done nothing as damaging as she thought it would.

When Twelve heard the office doors open and close she knew Viktoria had left. She pulled back from Korse but he kept his arms tight around her.

“Where is she going? I did not say she could leave yet.” He asked.

“I don’t know. Doesn’t matter.” Twelve smiled running her hand down Korse’s sickly pale cheek. “We’re alone now.”

Korse smiled at Twelve and kissed her cheek before he let go. He sat behind his desk and she sat in the chair that was waiting for her.

They got down to their normal business of reports and information exchanges. While Twelve was filing a formal report Korse couldn’t help but stare at her. He was worried that she was in danger now that Sands was taking a stand. He knew how brutal his daughter had been trained to be. He reached out and lifted Twelve’s face by her chin so she would look at him.

“Why did she choose now to take a stand?”

“Viktoria,” Twelve said rolling her eyes, “she passed on some info to Sands and then Sands took a stand but no one was around. Don’t worry.”

“Is she going to tell everyone?”

“She can’t. It would ruin one of them and they would be severely weakened.”

“You mean Jet-Star.”

“How did you...”

“I have more than just these two eyes, Twelve.” He said pointing to his face.

“Right.” She wondered what else he knew.

“Finish that report. You’ve got to get back in time. Dawn in is two hours.”

Twelve nodded and got back to work.

It wasn’t long before Twelve was back on her bike heading to the diner. She had extra time so she drove a bit slower than normal. She was feeling really guilty and really disgusting for what she had done. When she had focused back on the bike and where she was going she noticed she wasn’t that far from the diner. She cut the engine and rolled into the shed without anyone noticing; anyone other than Sands that is.

Twelve walked in the front now blatantly flaunting that she was out just for Sands. Sands was leaning against the wall near the stairs up to the attic.

“Look who’s threatening now.” Twelve said looking down at Sands.

Sands had taken her heels off. Twelve now stood four inches taller than her.

“How was Korse?” She mocked.

“Wonderful. He says hello.” Twelve said over her shoulder climbing the stairs. She wasn’t going to let Sands know that this was getting to her. “You know, you’ll never make me leave. You’re running after something that you’ll never kill, Sands. But if this is what you want, fire at will. You’ll never touch me.”

She went into the attic. Jet-Star was sitting up with the solar lamp on.

“Hey babe.” Twelve said sitting down on the mattress. “Why are you up?”

“You weren’t here. I couldn’t sleep.”

“Sorry, Sands needed to talk to me about some security issues.”

“Oh, why this late?” Jet-Star yawned scratching his head.

“You know Sands.” Twelve shrugged it off like that was enough explanation.

“She is a bit crazy at times.”

“Let’s get back to bed.” Twelve said lying back and pulling Jet-Star’s shirt collar to drag him down on top of her.

“I don’t think you mean that in the going to sleep way, do you?”

“Not entirely.” She smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot woot chapter 14! What's up out there in mibbaland? I've been away a bit lately.

Tell us what you're thinking! Comment/Subscribe/<3
xoxo
SuperCassie