‹ Prequel: Sector F

Faith Is Unavailable

Chapter 15

12 came back bold as brass; far too bold for Silver Sands to even slightly wrap her head around.
She might have played it cool in front of the woman but inside her rage was bubbling so furiously that her mind was racing with ways to get rid of 12 making it look like a Drac did it.
Korse started that way after all, killing the people standing in his way, making it look like someone else did it. It was always someone who’d send the mindless masses into a tizzy drawing the naive’s trust toward Korse and away from the existing establishment.
“Sandra,” The man spoke to his eldest whom was only 14, her mother gone two years already. “The way to get them behind the cause is for a martyr to brightly light the way.” He spoke the words she hardly understood, grooming her to be his second, to take his place.“They do not come along all too often though my dear, and then you need to make one.”
Sands shook her head trying to get rid of all the twisted memories of being trained to follow the gruesome family footsteps so young.
That memory in itself was enough to remind her why she used so little of what he’d taught her.
She was again back in the kitchen boots hitting the tile, pacing, mind racing, when her eyes fell on the door.
It was an old, beat up, flimsy, wooden door. She was also fairly certain that it had been replaced in one of it’s years of dilapidation and was actually just a door intended for the inside of a house. Not as solid as an outside door.
She decided what she was going to do right then and became a person in motion.
Boots met wood going right through. Fists followed leaving holes of their own.
As typical, when she starts to lose her mind Party Poison showed up to bring her down. The ruckus woke the man and sent him up as quickly as any human could manage.
By the time he caught her ‘round the waist and pulled her away from the door the damage was done. The door was in total ruin, it might as well have been in Zone 2 Fector F.
“What the hell is into you Sands?” He asked trying to keep his voice down.
She shoved his hands off her. “This door was a weak spot.” She spoke regaining her cool straightening out her outfit noticing the blood slowly seeping out of her knuckles. “Much like someone you won’t believe me about. It’s time to cut our losses... The door’s a good start at least. We have the supplies to turn that hole into the past. I’ll get started.”
He’d seen Sands angry so many times that it was the standard but this was different. He could see she was worked up but it wasn’t like every other time, this wasn’t a temper flare this was a deep agonizing anger that was grating at her. He could tell she’d hardly slept but wasn’t planning on slowing down to do so. This was probably the first time he was legitimately worried about her.
As all this processed in his head, she was walking out to the shed where their bikes and their extra supplies were housed.
It took him a moment to follow her.
She was already rolling her bike out of the way. He walked in moving 12’s bike right behind her. “Sands it’s still dark out why is this the time?”
Her eyes met with his, her demeanor changed for just the shortest moment. “There’s never a right time.” There was so much subtext going on in so few words he couldn’t even begin to interpret it.
Party Poison nodded his head knowing it had something to do with him -he really hoped that- and kept up with her.
Once the bikes were out of the way they could get to the supplies they’d accumulated from different places. Some from garages of empty homes, home improvement stores, anywhere that seemed like no one had been in long enough to assume they were gone for good.
They honestly did have the supplies to make that doorway safer than it was with the old flimsy door there.
They repaired the doorway without speaking too much.
It was finished by the time everybody started milling about. The cement was drying and they sat on either side of the door letting silence consume them.
“Why isn’t it ever the right time Sands?” He asked the burning question.
Her head lulled over to look at him still leaning against the wall. “I hope you weren’t expecting anything too profound because I don’t know.”

Lately meetings had been getting more and more frequent. Korse was getting closer to executing his plan. Twelve was closer to being someone of real importance in Better Living Industries. She couldn’t stop thinking about that.
She was just strolling into the diner after a meeting. Tonight she had a cover. Party Poison had asked her to do a bit of patrol on her bike in a few Zones that had been having some odd movement. She said she would check it out even though inside she already knew what was going on; Korse was organizing a blow to the Killjoys.
Sands marked her coming in on the horizon. Just for fun she practiced aiming at Twelve and thinking about what it would be like if her finger just happened to slip and her gun just happened to be set to dust. Fun Ghoul watched her with one eyebrow raised.
“You know that’s not a Drac, right Captain?” He asked.
“Well aware. Get bent.”
“Hey, take a red. I’m just making sure you’re in the right frame of mind is all.”
“I’m never not in the right frame of mind, it’s all of you that are crazy. No one sees the narc for who she is.”
“Twelve ain’t a narc.” Ghoul said under his breath.
Sands heard him but she ignored him deciding that it was more worth her time to think about dusting Twelve. When she was close enough, Sands lowered her gun and stepped back from the edge so she wouldn’t be seen just yet.
Twelve put her bike in the shed and filled the tank before locking up and going towards the kitchen exit. She had left out the front since Party Poison was the one who sent her out so she hadn’t noticed that the point of entry she sought was gone.
“What the fuck?” Twelve said aloud as she stood staring at where the door handle should have been.
Sands watched her from a point unseen. Fun Ghoul was thinking to himself how much more hostile Silver Sands was being towards Twelve. He didn’t know why.
Twelve knocked on the now flat wall to see if there was a hallow spot like this was some sort of prank. There was no such thing. Sands now took her chance to talk down at Twelve.
“What cha lookin for?” She asked trying not to look smug.
“The fuckin door.” Twelve spat knowing that Sands was the reason for this.
“Oh, Poison and I got rid of that. It was a weak point in the building. Anything could come and go through that little flimsy door, know what I mean?”
Fun Ghoul leaned over and looked down at Twelve. “I agree, that door sucked. I mean if Sands could kick it down... anyone could.”
“Watch if Fungal or I’ll give you a fresh one. Just cuz I’m a girl doesn’t mean I won’t hit ya.”
“You’ve hit me before. I’m still here.” He shrugged off the edge and went to look out at the other side.
Twelve narrowed her eyes at Sands and then turned to walk around the building. Sands started walking along the roof continuing to talk to Twelve about why the door was taken out and explaining that it was a long time coming. Twelve just tried to ignore her but she was getting more and more pointed with her words. She was so close to just saying the real reason the door was blocked off.
“So no more back door visits to your hunny.” Sands finally broke out the real reason.
“I’ll be sure to tell him why it’s more difficult.” Twelve said, sarcasm practically dripping from her words. “I’m sure he’ll just be so proud that his daughter is all grown up.”
Sands suddenly jumped from the roof to land right in front of Twelve. She straightened up and looked Twelve in the eyes. “What, will that make you a captain of BLI faster? Will that make him love you more and promise you more things?”
“What’s your angle?” Twelve said trying to shove past Sands.
She was bothered by the fact that she was hitting on the things that Korse had promised her. It made her wonder what else Viktoria had passed on to Sands or if Sands knew something else that Twelve hadn’t been told yet.
“That’s what he tells anyone who works for him.” Sands said stepping into Twelve’s path. “Did he have you do paperwork for hours yet? Did he show you your office on the third floor with the view?”
Twelve just stared at the woman in her path not betraying any emotion.
Sands started to laugh.
“What the hell is wrong with you? Are you crazy?” Twelve asked in a hard tone.
“Nah, but you’re an idiot.” Sands laughed and walked away. “Looks like my plans are a waste. What Korse has commin’ for you is much worse.”
She disappeared around the corner and Twelve heard her climb the ladder to the roof.
“What are you smiling for?” Fun Ghoul asked.
“Nothin’. Just how karma works is all.”
“You’re the fucking weirdest person I’ve ever met.” He said shaking his head.
“If I had a nickle for every time some one said that...” She chuckled to herself.
Twelve continued walking to the front doors of the diner but she wasn’t sure she wanted to face people. What Sands had said set her mind reeling. Was what Korse had told her all a lie? She had to know.
Without thinking about it Twelve turned back around and went into the shed. She didn’t hear Sands calling innocently to her asking what she was doing. She just grabbed her bike and sped off spraying dirt from her back tire.
Sands was sent into a fit of laughter that freaked Fun Ghoul out. He didn’t know what was going on. He had never seen her laugh this much this hard before. It was like she was cracked. He slipped off the roof and went to find Party Poison.
Party Poison was already on his way to the roof. He had heard Twelve come in and then he heard her go back out. He had been waiting for the report on the zones he had asked her to check. Now he was worried that there was a threat.
“Uhm... Sands is cracked out of her mind right now.” Fun Ghoul said as soon as he saw Party Poison.
“I’ll go see if I can figure it out.” He said climbing the ladder. “Go to bed. The sun’s commin’ up anyways.”
Sands was now standing with her back against the a/c unit looking at the horizon as the sun was beginning it’s climb with a smile on her lips.
“What’s so funny?” He asked resting against the unit like she was.
“Everything and nothing at the same time.” Sands smiled being enigmatic.
“No riddles, Sands.”
She turned to him placing her hands on his shoulders.. “I’m in a great mood. Don’t ruin it by telling me what to do.”
“Okay...” Party Poison said slowly as he was painfully aware of just how close she was to him.
Every little move she made he noticed. The way her hands were on his shoulders and the slight tilt of her head. She stepped closer and smiled at him. “Today the world is right.” She said and then walked away from him.
Party Poison suddenly remembered to breathe again and took a breath when she was a safe distance away from him. If everything was right today then he could just maybe...
She looked over her shoulder with a smirk that seemed to finish his thought.

“Why are you back?” Korse asked looking up from his maps and reports when Twelve stormed into his office.
She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and slammed him against the wall for the second time.
“I see you have lost none of your training or strength.” He winced as she drew one of her guns from it’s holster.
“Why am I doing this?” Twelve asked through clenched teeth.
“I do not know. You are the one who has me against the wall.” He said already having thought of three different ways to disarm her and pin her against the wall.
“I meant why am I doing what you’ve told me to? What is the real reason I’m doing this?”
“We can discuss this as adults or we will not discuss it at all.” Korse sighed looking to his left and then back at Twelve.
“Don’t talk to me like I’m Viktoria. I’m not a child and this is very adult. What the fuck is really going on here?” Twelve said pushing her fist that was still gripping his shirt collar against his throat to cut off some of his air supply.
“You are doing this mission to earn your place in BLI management.” He tried his best to sound like he was hardly deprived of air at all.
“But is that a real position? Is that office really going to be mine or is this all just a way for you to fuck with my head and make me do what you want so when the Killjoys are out of the picture you just kill me?”
“Of course not.” Korse said putting his hand to Twelve’s cheek as his eyes softened. “I would never lie about those things. You do mean something to me.”
“What do I mean to you?” Twelve asked loosening her grip and lowering her gun, her voice hadn’t lost any of it’s hardness though.
“Everything.” He almost whispered.
“Prove it?” Twelve asked more than demanded in a whisper.
Korse quickly pinned Twelve to the wall and connected his mouth to hers in a kiss that wasn’t in any way chaste. When he started tugging her jacket off she stopped him.
“Not here. Not where the cameras are. I don’t need anything else for Viktoria to out me with.” Twelve panted trying to catch her breath.
She didn’t know what was happening to her. Everything was spinning but all she knew was that she had to have Korse prove that she meant everything to him, to have Sands proved wrong. He went into his desk and grabbed a card key.
“This is to my home. You know where I live. I will be there in five minutes. I have to clear the tapes.”
“I know what to do.” Twelve said taking the key and leaving the office.
She left the building and got on her bike. She rode to Korse’s house and tucked the bike away so no one would see it. She slid the card key and the door opened. She looked around before going in.
For just a moment she started to question what she was doing. She thought of Jet-Star for the first time and realized what she was about to do to him. None of that mattered when an arm caught her around her back and pulled her to the body connected to it. Korse was there earlier than he said he would be.
There was no stopping now. Clothes were shed and everything was laid bare. Twelve knew that the game had just changed. She had changed permanently and it may or may not have been for the better.

Lying in bed next to Korse Twelve thought about what this all meant. He was content to just run his hand up and down her side and think with his eyes shut. She was looking up at his face seeing the human in him fully exposed for the first time with no guards to shield it.
This was something she had never expected. His eyes were closed and the corners of his mouth were slightly upturned. This was a smile she had never seen on him before. It didn’t have any menace or anger behind it. No, this was a genuine smile.
“Why did you save me?” Twelve asked suddenly in a whisper.
Korse’s eyes slowly opened and he looked down at the woman in his arms. He was almost sure this wasn’t a dream. This wasn’t a hallucination of the Zone Sickness that he had. Korse could feel her there looking at him.
“What do you mean why did I save you?” He asked, his voice with that rolling Scottish accent low and soft, his fingers tracing her hip.
“During the Sector F revolt. Why did you pick me?”
“I could be risking a lot to tell you the real reason.” Korse sighed, his eyes closing while he debated his decision in his mind. “I could change something.”
“I don’t think anything is going to change now.” Twelve said as she pulled herself up to plant a kiss on his cheek and then his nose.
“You convinced me.” Korse smiled. “I saved you because out of all the rebels there, you were the only one that showed me or my Dracs any mercy.”
Twelve thought about that for a moment. “All my memories of that day are still pretty hazy.”
“You had your gun to my head. I was on my knees.” Korse started with his smile widening to show his teeth, he gave a sideways glance to Twelve. “You had told me that I had met my match and it all was going to end that night. I believed you. You were the most wild and fierce thing I had seen in my life. I was quite captivated from that moment on.
“But then neither you nor I saw the Scarecrow that came up on your left. He took you down hard and you were occupied by him. I stood up from the dirt and watched. You deliberately set your gun to ghost and shot him.
“I knew you were something special then. I had never seen anyone without my training take down a Scarecrow as quickly as you did. Then you turned back to me and smiled quiet viciously as you set your gun back to dust.
“However, a scream rose up that caught your ear and you said to me that I would see you again and then you were running to help your...” Korse was gasping for a word so he wouldn’t give too much away, “fellow rebels. After that I sent out orders for your capture. It took almost all night to get you.”
Twelve thought about that for a moment. She went back to that dream she had where she was bloody and hurt. That all made sense now. She knew that she had been grazed by a shot on her thigh that had bled out for a long time. She understood that not all the blood was hers though she couldn’t remember who else’s it was.
Korse kissed her forehead and pulled her closer thinking that he may have given too much away and this was his last chance.
“Still doesn’t clear much up other than I remember everything you just described now. But I don’t remember who it was I went to help or why I spared that Scarecrow.”
“Do not think too hard on it now being as we are quiet indisposed to do much else other than enjoy each other’s company. Did I prove anything to you?”
“You proved you’re a human being and not just a dictator hell bent on controlling the world, or what’s left of it.”
“That is a start I can live with.”
“You’re gonna have to. I’ve still got lots of things to do for you.”
“Yes, eventually you will have to go back out into the zones and I will have to be alone. Of course I think now it will be much harder than it was before.” He sighed burying his face in the right side of her neck to kiss the place he had favored all night.
“You think you’ve got it bad. Imagine what I have to do. I’m totally torn now between you and-” Twelve stopped because she saw the tension in Korse’s face.
He relaxed and closed his eyes for a moment. “I understand what you are going through. I put you in this position after all. After months of that particular rat I cannot expect you to not have feelings for him.”
“I haven’t thought of him until now if that’s any consolation.”
“Indeed it is.” Korse smiled. “When do you need to be returning to that wasteland? I will do anything to make it easier.”
“I need three or so Dracs to make an excuse and a show worthy of a cover up.”
“Anything else?”
“Could you maybe load up a Drac outpost with supplies so we can raid it? Party Poison doesn’t want anyone to know but we’re running low on food and water among other things.”
“Zone 2 Sector B is already stocked up and has been for two days. I knew you would be needing something. I am surprised you rats have not found it yet.” Korse said using the term rats lightly as a joke.
“Thank you.”
“It is no problem.”
Twelve could see what Korse was thinking. She felt a pang of guilt and rolled to lie on top of him.
“You know I can’t be yours now. It’s not the right time. Give it a few months. I’m only just starting to like you.” She smirked holding his head between her hands.
“I wish we could have some exclusivity, but I can see that is impossible until your job with the Killjoys is done. I await your next visit.” He said sliding his hands down her back as far as he could reach.
“Good bye, Lex Luthor.” She said referring to the super villain arch enemy of Superman and gave Korse one last kiss before getting out of bed and getting dressed.
She left the back way of the house and grabbed her bike. Korse picked up the phone in his room and called in the order for three Dracs to meet Twelve at the East gates of Battery City. He knew she would leave that way as that was the way she was instructed to leave. It was the most hidden of the gates and gave her some kind of shelter.
Twelve heard them start up behind her as she left and a smile spread over her face. It was game time. She slowed down enough for them to catch up and she shouted out her plan to them and they nodded. Being able to command them gave her a thrill that she hadn’t felt in a while. If this was what life was going to be like when she was done with the Killjoys she couldn’t wait for it to be over. The power was quite intoxicating.
When they reached a point that the diner was visible Twelve veered off away from it so they wouldn’t suspect that was where they were all living. She just wanted whoever was on the roof to sound the alarm and get someone out to help her. That was the one thing she held over Korse, the location of the diner and she wasn’t giving that up. That would make everything too easy for him.
Silver Sands and Kobra Kid tore out the shed behind the diner on bikes. Fun Ghoul and Girl were on the roof nervously watching the little rays of light pass back and forth between Twelve and the three Dracs on her tail.
“Why would she bring them so close?” Fun Ghoul asked.
“She needed help obviously.” Girl said like he was dumb. “There are no radios on the bikes.”
“I guess. Man we need walkie talkies or something for them so we don’t need to bring the Dracs so close when we need help.”
“Talk to Dr. D. He was trying to figure that out. I think Chow Mein was supposed to have radios for him... but he went AWOL not to long ago.” Girl sighed wishing she was old enough to get on a motorcycle and chase after the Dracs herself.
As soon as the three Dracs saw Sands and Kobra coming they turned and fled the other way. Sands went after them and Kobra Kid stopped to see how Twelve was.
She was breathing hard and had a burn across the back of her hand. Twelve pulled her helmet off when Kobra Kid slid to a stop next to her.
“You alright?” He asked her.
“Fine.” She gasped. “Got hit though.”
“Where did they start tailing you?”
“Zone 2 Sector B. I think they’ll be clearing out soon though judging by the way they took off when they saw you two comin’.”
“We’ll go out there tonight and check it out. Sands is on her way back.” He nodded to Sands’ approaching bike.
“Why the hell did you bring them so close?” She shouted over he bike as she rolled in.
She cut the engine to make conversation possible.
“I needed help and that was the only way I could get your attention. Where did they head?” Twelve asked already knowing the answer but feigning she didn’t perfectly.
“Towards Zone 2 and off to the left.” Sands said maliciously.
“They’re going to clear out of where they came from. Get the Trans-Am. Go to 2B. They’re there.” Kobra said to Sands. “Twelve, lets get that hand fixed up.”
For the first time Sands noted Twelve’s hand.
“Looks self inflicted.” She said as she kicked the engine over and took off.
“It’s on her shooting hand Sands!” Kobra shouted after her.
“I do have two guns.” Twelve laughed.
“You’re defending her?” Kobra Kid asked in disbelief.
“No, just pointing out that her comment isn’t totally illogical. Though I do only shoot with this hand when on my bike. Can’t do two when I have to steer.”
“Come on.” He said kicking his bike’s engine to life and heading back.
Twelve followed.
Jet-Star was waiting for them out front of the diner. He’d talked to Sands briefly and knew there had been three Dracs tailing Twelve and that she’d been hit. Of course Sands failed to mention it was just her hand before she went in the diner to get Poison so Jet-Star was freaking out.
He took the bike from Twelve and put it away for her and then pulled her into a tight hug while kissing her face.
“Not that I don’t like this, but can I get my hand fixed up first?” Twelve asked holding out her hand so it wouldn’t get caught in Jet-Star’s bone crushing hug.
“Oh shit! Yeah, sorry. I just forgot. You’ve been gone so long.”
“Only a few hours.”
Kobra Kid showed up with a first aid kit and opened it up on the hood of the Trans-Am. He pulled Twelve over and started to clean out the wound.
“How’s that feel?” He asked her.
“It’s fine, not bad.”
“It’s about to get worse.” Kobra Kid said as he poured antiseptic over it.
Twelve winced as it started to bubble. “Easy with that.” She hissed through her teeth.
“Sorry.” He said as he was opening a bandage and starting to wrap it around her hand quite skillfully. “Take this off tonight and let it breathe a bit so it will heal faster.”
“Thanks Kobra.”
“No problem.” He said closing up the kit and heading back inside.
Sands came out with Party Poison in tow. They both got into the Trans-Am and Party Poison pulled away from the diner. There was no need for him to say where they were going. It was pretty obvious that they were going to hunt some Dracs. Only Twelve knew they would be coming back with a lot of much needed supplies.
“You’re okay, right Babe?” Jet-Star asked gingerly holding Twelve’s injured hand.
“Fine.” She smiled.
“Good, because I’m not letting you out of my sight for a while. You’ve been gone all night and all morning. Where were you?”
“Got caught up in patrol for Party Poison is all.” She half lied. “He wanted me to check some things out.”
“Things are getting pretty strange out in the Zones. He shouldn’t have let you go out alone.”
“I can handle myself.”
“With minor problems.” Jet-Star said lifting Twelve’s hand.
“It’s just some skin. It’ll grow back. No biggie.”
“It coulda been worse.” He said kissing her.
“Jet, calm down. I’m fine. It’s over. Nothing happened. Just a few bored Dracs. I gotta go radio the Doctor. He needs some news.”
“Twelve.” Jet-Star asked lowering his voice and looking into her eyes. “What’s up? You seem different.”
“Nothing.” She said looking away. “Just a little shaken I guess.”
“Go radio Death Defying then.” He said kissing her once more and letting her walk off.
In his heart he knew something was wrong. Twelve was acting strange and he didn’t know what it was but it left a feeling in the pit of his stomach more awful than it should have.
Twelve went into the diner headed for the broadcast room. She ran into Fun Ghoul on the way.
“Nice hickey.” He smiled. “Though they’re usually on the left side...”
“What?”
“You gotta big hickey on the right side of your neck. Looks to me like a love bite.” He said wiggling his eye brows.
Twelve’s hand shot to the right side of her neck. She could feel how tender it was in one area. Then she realized just how observant Fun Ghoul was. He knew that Jet-Star always went for the left side and this fresh one was from Korse and it was on the right.
“Yeah, love bite.” Twelve said kind of distracted and then went into the broadcast room.
Fun Ghoul shrugged and continued on taking water up to the roof where Girl was waiting for him.
When Twelve was done warning Dr. Death Defying she left the broadcasting room. Party Poison and Silver Sands were coming back in from the Drac hunt.
“Ain’t it funny how three Dracs chase Twelve, then she tells us where they came from but it turns out they’re gone and their post is full of the supplies we have been running low on?” Sands asked walking through the middle of the room.
“I call it lucky.” Kobra Kid said putting a bag of new supplies on a table and going to get more.
“Is there any candy?” Girl asked after having come down from the roof with Fun Ghoul because Star Killa had gone up there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh shit! Twelve and Korse? Who thought that would happen?
Also... he's given Twelve a bit of her background back... who wants to read more about her before she was a captive of Battery City, before she was brainwashed? I've started writing something up...