‹ Prequel: Sector F

Faith Is Unavailable

Chapter 7

After spending a few nights longer than expected in Dr. Death Defying’s outpost the roads were clear for the Killjoys to head back to the diner. Show Pony was busy skating between the broadcasting van and the outpost loading it up for that trip. Dr. Death Defying was going through a checklist and checking his reports from all over the Zones, and the Killjoys were loading up the Trans-Am.
Soon enough they were on the road headed home; Trans-Am leading the way with Party Poison driving and the van just behind being driven by Silver Sands. She refused to be anywhere near him the entire time as he was in the same mood she was. Dr. D couldn’t drive tonight as his leg was giving him far more trouble than it should have been and Show Pony didn’t feel like taking his skates off -it was more like he wanted an excuse to sit in the back and tend to Dr. D- so Sands volunteered to captain the van.
Kobra Kid had moved to shotgun in the Trans-Am and Suspect 12 was fine in the back with her legs propped up on the seat looking at her new gun and holster. Kobra Kid watched her in the rear view mirror for a while just laughing to himself at how excited she seemed to be to have a gun. He guessed she hadn’t seen a gun in a while and the feeling of having one for herself must have made her feel a bit more normal. It was probably doing her some good to have a gun. It might even jog her memory back to when she used to hold her own before the Revolt.
Around mid-day they made it back to the diner. Fun Ghoul was on the roof waiting for them. Girl and Jet-Star were inside eating lunch when Girl heard the two engines shut off. She jumped out of the booth leaving her can on the table and ran out front. The first person she saw was Show Pony and he picked her up in a hug and expertly spun her in a circle.
“Hi Pony!” She said in her high voice.
“I missed you. We’re getting into some trouble later.” He said squeezing her tight.
“What kind?” She asked when her feet were on the ground.
“I don’t know yet. I gotta help my man outta the van though. We’ll scheme later.” He said opening up the door to the van.
“Okay!”
Girl ran off to yank open the Trans-Am door and hug Party Poison. Kobra Kid laughed at her antics and then slid out the car leaning his seat forward so Twelve could slip out. He was in a better mood than he had been in a long time and he knew it was because of Twelve. He had bee able to unload on her and she took it in stride, even encouraging him.
He knew it was a matter of time before he fell back into his normal grim personality but he was thankful that the weight had been lifted long enough for him to get a few smiles and chuckles out. It felt strange on him, but it was a good strange.
Show Pony had made it back to the broadcast van as Dr. D was starting to calculate a way to get himself out without aggravating his leg. Show Pony skated up to his side cautioning him not to move and grabbed the fold up chair from the back.
With the chair set up he reached to grab Dr. Death Defying letting his left hand roam a little too far up the man’s thigh. This wasn’t the only time Pony had ‘accidentally’ copped a feel while helping the man out of the wheelchair. In fact, Dr. D had grown pretty accustomed to it and knew it was going to happen no matter what. That didn’t stop him from chewing Pony out every time he did it.
“Damn it Show Pony. That’s not my leg.”
“My bad.” Show Pony smirked letting his hand trail down from Dr. D inner thigh.
Jet-Star came out after pouring out the contents of Girl’s can on a plate so Silver Sands wouldn’t be annoyed. When she wasn’t around they let Girl eat out of the can just like they did. Jet-Star was sure Girl didn’t mind tossing the ladylike behavior out the window. For one, she’d never asked for the plate when Sands wasn’t around.
Jet helped unload the van and Trans-Am along side Party Poison. Fun Ghoul stood on top of the roof directing where things should go and just being a pain in the ass. Kobra had climbed up onto the roof knowing that soon enough he’d be on night watch. It was his rotation tonight and he was looking forward to having a cigarette, a beer, and having no one else around. He had a lot on his mind he wanted to sort through.
Fun Ghoul started pestering Party Poison for putting the over night bags on top of the trashcans. He didn’t stop until Jet-Star moved them. Then Ghoul started loudly complaining about how Jet seemed to be the only one with his head on straight.
“Hey Fungal,” Silver Sands shouted up to him. “Don’t you have something you should be doing?”
“Other than annoy everyone on the ground? Nah.” He shrugged. “Now that bag needs to be moved over and inch to the right and then two inches forward.”
Sands picked up a rock and threw it at Fun Ghoul.
“You missed.”
“I meant to.”
“Sure, I think you’re aim is off.”
“Leave her be.” Dr. Death Defying cautioned Ghoul as he grabbed Sands’ wrist to prevent her from pelting Fun Ghoul with the larger rock she had in her hand.
That was all anyone needed to hear to know just what kind of mood Silver Sands was in and how they shouldn’t bother her. No one wanted her grabbing her bike and speeding off into the distance alone. She was dangerously close to doing that as it was.
“I have rotation tonight, right?” Kobra Kid asked Fun Ghoul hoping palns hadn’t changed.
“Twelve and Jet-Star.” Fun Ghoul said before he disappeared from the ledge and went to watch the other side of the diner.
Kobra set his jaw and looked out at the horizon. He knew that the rotation would have changed. It was standard procedure if someone spent the night away from the Diner they spent the night night there sleeping. It was generally assumed that if you weren’t at the Diner at night you weren’t getting much sleep.
He knew that he needed it, the dark circles under his eyes proved that. But he hardly ever slept because he never felt rested afterwards. He would nod off at times when no one was watching but that was the extent of his sleep. He sighed went down the ladder as he saw Twelve and Jet-Star preparing to come up.
She’d spent the night away from the Diner but she was still going up for night watch. She and Jet-Star were never separated. It was slightly annoying that she had so quickly bonded with Jet, but Kobra knew it was good for the both of them. Giving them the roof for the night wasn’t so bad when he knew she was still out of place and needed a friend to talk to.
The rest of the day passed quickly because everyone had something to do. The Zone Rats and Motor-Babies started pouring in before the day was over. Fun Ghoul came down from the roof as soon as the sun was behind the horizon and Jet-Star and Twelve took over the post.
They had a feeling that there wasn’t going to be much to watch for that night and were just goofing off with each other. Girl hadn’t come up with them as was usual so they were able to joke about things that she wouldn’t quite understand.
Jet-Star took Suspect 12’s hand in his and that began a game between the two of them. One stated something they missed and if the other agreed then they would squeeze the speaker’s hand.
They passed the night playing their game and at times poking fun at each other. Jet-Star had never been that great at reading girls or impressing them for that matter. Licking crayons was not the most impressive thing one could do, but in high school he had mistakenly done it.
When morning came Show Pony climbed the ladder to relieve them of the post. Jet-Star opened the roof hatch for the attic and climbed down into it. Suspect 12 followed him and he enjoyed watching her come down the ladder. Show Pony gave him a look when he was putting the ladder up and then closed the hatch.
Jet-Star tried the solar lamp but someone had forgotten to put it up on the roof so it wouldn’t light. He picked it up and opened the hatch. Show Pony came over to see what was going on. Jet-Star handed him the lamp and then closed the hatch again. He found Suspect 12 in the dark and they both laid out on the mattress together.

A few days later Show Pony was skating along the highway minding his own business on an errand for Dr. Death Defying. He had a connection to repair along Route Guano so that Zone 2 Sector C could get their broadcast. Something had knocked a trasmitter out of alignment and reports had come in from the area saying that the broadcast was mostly static.
“Skate your darling little heart out Ladyboy, we need the signal!” Show Pony heard through the radio he had built into his helmet. He smiled at the Doctor’s words and skated just a little faster. “This one’s for you!”
A roller disco song popular in the seventies started pumping through his helmet. Show Pony laughed and shook his head picking up the pace even more and beginning to dance down the road to the song.
Some Dracs spotted him but had orders not to shoot. They had grown quite accustomed to his presence on the roads dancing and skating along. If he didn’t bother them, they didn’t bother him. Simple as that.
Korse had different plans. He figured that if they allowed the ‘Ladyboy’ to skate where he pleased without trouble they would figure out just how the Doctor was able to infiltrate the airwaves of the city and cut him off from the people. If anyone could start a riot, it was that man and his words alone.
Show Pony had marked the Dracs for what they were but pretended not to notice. He thought about warning Dr. D but he chose not to. They were most likely listening to the station and that would get him into trouble. He still clearly remembered the one time he had radioed in a report and then had to skate for his life only surviving because Sands had been in the area by mere chance.
He knew that the connection couldn’t be repaired tonight either. All he could do was continue skating along and dancing like nothing was wrong. The thought of going to the diner crossed his mind but he threw the idea out as soon as he came up with it. It was even more futile to lead them straight to the lair of the people at the top of their hunting list.
At the cross roads of Guano and Resurrection Road Show Pony went left to complete the circuit and head back to his current outpost with the Doctor. He knew that just one more mile on Guano and he would have been at the connection sight but the Dracs had started to follow him slowly.
He was getting very nervous when the Dracs turned onto Resurrection Road. Pony knew in his bones they were out for blood tonight and would ignore their orders. He threw out his caution when he was only a mile away and radioed in to the Doctor that they had trouble coming. Right on cue the Dracs sped up but Show Pony had a plan.
His few words were enough to get Dr. D into motion. He shut the radio down without warning while he was mid sentence so the Zone Rats knew something was up and would go on guard. Then the Doctor used a secret emergency channel that was a closed line to the diner and put out the distress signal.
Show Pony was in sight when Dr. D was on the road in the van. His left leg was protesting because he had stood on it while tossing a few last minute things into the van and he was now in the front seat of the van driving rather than in his wheelchair. The side door to the van was open and Dr. D drove up close to Show Pony. Pony grabbed the door and let the speed of the van whip him in the other direction. It hurt his arms more than he’d admit but he knew it was saving his ass and a lot less pain than he’d be in if he were caught by the Dracs. The van started picking up speed and Pony’s skates couldn’t handle it; he jumped in shutting the door behind him.
“Oh my God! My skates are smoking!” Show Pony shouted pulling them off as fast as he could and tossing them to the other end of the van. “Fuck! They’re hot!”
He got to his feet taking a moment to realize that his body was calibrated to have wheels under his feet and stumbled his first step. He managed to get to the front of the van and put his hand on Dr. D’s shoulder letting know he wanted to switch.
Quickly Dr. D struggled his way back into the passenger seat. On the horizon they saw the unmistakable form of Silver Sands riding in on her bike.
“We’re saved!” Pony shouted with a laugh as he shot out the driver’s side window at a Drac that was getting too close.
Sands flew past them in the opposite direction straight into the Dracs. She kicked one over the side of his bike. The bike continued on for a while before falling over and skidding along the road. Sands turned around spraying dirt up from under her tire and caught up again going for another pass and taking a few more out.
It wasn’t long before they were all clear. Show Pony took the van back to Route Guano and slowed. He wasn’t going to be this close for a second time in one day and not do what got them into the whole mess.
“What are you doing?” Dr. Death Defying asked confused. “We gotta head to the diner while we’re clean.”
“Gotta fix this connection first.” Pony said pulling to a stop and jumping out of the van ignoring the burning sensation on the bottom of his skate-less feet.. “If I’m not back in two minutes, get out of here.”
Silver Sands followed Show Pony off the road. Dr. D sat behind the wheel of the van massaging his knee and keeping a sharp watch. He saw Pony’s helmet rise up through the heat waves not long after and he smiled. This time he was helped into his wheelchair before they set off again.
Sands led the way popping her front tire up and letting her blond hair flow out from under her helmet.
“God I love her.” Dr. D sighed to himself.
“If I were straight...” Show Pony smiled.
“She’d want me.” Dr. D countered.
The rest of the way they debated which one Sands would choose until they pulled up to the diner and saw Party Poison looking very distressed but relieved at the same time. Only a few moments later while Pony was helping Dr. D out of the van Sands took off.
“The chemically engineered ginger would always win.” Show Pony muttered referring to Party Poison’s red hair.
“I’m afraid you’re right.”
“I’ll go see what her dysfunction is this time.” Show Pony said after lacing up his skates and taking off towards Party Poison who was now lifting himself from the Trans-Am’s hood.

Fifteen Minutes Before

Party Poison stood next to the Trans-Am outside waiting to see her bike come into view worried sick thinking it may never come back.
“Party Poison!” Girl’s sweet little voice called out of the diner coming to greet him. “Aren’t you going to come in and eat?”
He looked to her, knowing he couldn’t really expect her to understand how complicated things were right then. “Have you eaten, kid?” He asked kindly tossing the attention away from himself.
She nodded vigorously. “Yeah, me, 12, and the guys are done. I was wondering why you didn’t come in.”
It didn’t work the way he hoped it would though. “It’s complicated Girl.”
She heaved a sigh. “Everyone’s always saying that. I’m not stupid you know.”
He just looked at the strong-willed kid with half a smile creeping up his face. “Ok, I’ll tell ya about it. One thing, you can’t say a word to anybody, dig? It’s gotta stay between us.”
She just nodded again eagerly bringing herself to sit on the hood of the car, legs tucked under her to keep her feet warm.
He tried to think of a way to keep it all obscure. “I feel like my heart’s been thrown into a freezer then a blender, then reverse and repeat.”
A look of something akin to horror struck the girl’s face.
“And it’s the greatest feeling in the strangest way.” He knew he’d have to clarify at least a little bit. “I think I’m in love.”
Then she looked really confused. “If that’s what love’s like why does everyone talk like it’s a good thing?”
Candid, just like youth.
“Because it doesn’t always feel like that.” He explained simply. “That’s why it’s so complicated. Even in the worst moment it’s nothing you’d ever trade. It’s happiness without due cause, it’s something that can make you forget about the war outside your door.”
“I still don’t get it. Why is it so bad to you then?” She asked with childlike innocence flawlessly portrayed in her voice.
He let out a little chuckle. “Because I’m idiot.” He took a seat next to her. “You see there’s no real choosing who you fall for. They can be a crazy, reckless and a pain in the... Well you get it. Plus you may never know what they feel about you. You hate that you can’t control it but if you could it wouldn’t feel half as good at the good parts if it wasn’t so complicated.”
Girl tried to follow but this sounded so insane.
The rumble of a bike’s engine coming from a distance became audible, Party Poison sprung to his feet. “Girl go inside, I’ll come in in a minute.”
She did as he asked without a question this time.
He kept his eyes glued in the direction of the sound anticipating the colorful bike to hit where he could see.
Soon enough he saw the bike’s headlight coming into view. Closely following was Dr. D’s broadcast van.
He released a breath of relief, glad to know she wasn’t alone this whole time.
Sands front tire stopped only a foot from him.
“What are you doin’ waitin’ out here? It’s after dark.” She asked after pulling her helmet off tucking it under her arm.
Show Pony was pulling the van around the back.
His eyes hardened. “I was wondering what the hell happened to you. One minute you’re here the next minute you’re bolting out the door and hopping on your bike not saying a word.”
She groaned. “I was on the radio and Dr Death Defying and Show Pony were surrounded and they needed someone to help them out. I knew I could get there quicker on my own. It would have taken way longer for us to load up in the Trans-Am and the way they made it sound it was not time we had.”
“You couldn’t even tell anyone before you left? So we’d at least know where you disappeared to.”
She hung her helmet on the handle of the bike and crossed her arms over her chest. “I wasn’t aware you were my father and had to know my exact location at all times, Party Poison. Fun Ghoul was sleeping I wasn’t going to wake him up just so I could tell him I was going to be fine by myself. He was the only one here. If you want to know exactly where I am all the time maybe you should just hang around and babysit me instead of taking care of what actually matters.” She was pissed off and had no fear showing it. “Shit! I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” With that she picked her helmet back up and tossed it back on her head sat back down and yanked the throttle back barely avoiding hitting Party Poison.
“Fuck!” Party Poison shouted hitting the hood of the Trans-Am.
Show Pony rolled up on his skates to stand next to him. “What just happened?”
Party Poison watched her drive for a moment longer. “Tell 12 I took her bike. I’ll be back.”
He jogged to the slower bike only hoping to be able to keep up. He didn’t even stop to grab a helmet just went full throttle following her off into the distance.
When Show Pony and Dr Death Defying rolled inside everybody looked over to them expecting to see Silver Sands and Party Poison as well.
“Where the hell are Party Poison and Silver Sands?” Fun Ghoul asked what everyone was thinking.
“Our van was surrounded by Dracs, we needed a little backup and Sands came out to help us dust some Dracs. Party Poison was waiting outside when we got here -I’m guessing she just slipped out the way that makes him crazy- waiting to rant at her. So she took off and he followed.” Show Pony briefly summarized. “Oh, 12, He took your bike.”
Her eyebrows dropped not really sure how she felt about him taking her bike, “He better fill the tank.”
Show Pony saw the look on her face. “He knows how to ride. They can all ride motorcycles and drive a car... except for Sands. They don’t let her drive the cars. She does donuts like she owns a bakery. That’s her plan for taking out Dracs. Spin around them really fast and fire out the windows.”
“Realistically it just makes Girl, Kobra Kid, and Party Poison throw up.” Fun Ghoul added.
12 was still only beginning to understand the crazy people she got stranded with.
“Hey you weren’t in the car! You’d have puked too!” Kobra Kid shouted from his spot on the mattress on the floor.
“No the best part is when she hops in the driver’s seat shouts, ‘Drive it like you stole it!’ Then hits the gas while you’re still trying to shut the door.” Jet-Star added.
“You do realize all of our vehicles are stolen.” Fun Ghoul said back almost defending the insanity they were talking about.
“Fun Ghoul, for the simple fact they were taken for our ever-so-valiant cause, we prefer the term commandeered.” Dr Death Defying spoke in his perfect drawl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh.... Sands is being moody. Well, when is she not?

Tomorrow Cassie'll post another chapter and then after that we're slowing down to once a week. I know you've all enjoyed this twice a week posting, but we've got to go down to once a week. There's some things that need editing and to get 'em done on time we've got to slow down.

Let us know what you're thinking please!
EDIT: Check out the new summary please... we thought it needed changing up. ScantilyClad pointed that out to us. Hope it's more interesting now!